Variation for tripod lashing on hammock stand

As I was converting my "TurtleJRK" stand from hardware to traditional lashing, I stumbled upon a variation for lashing the tripod. Instead of having he three poles laid out side by side as most do, I lashed them together in a triangular layout.

I had not used this in my years in scouting. It just seemed a more convenient way to keep the poles lashed together when not in use.

I searched the web to find out more about these type of lashing and the only reference was this old camp stool instructions.

http://www.ropeworks.biz/archive/campstool.html

I'm interested in if anyone else knows anything about it? Is there a strength issue I should know about?
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    First of all, it is hard to argue with results! The "correct" way to do something is not always the only way, or even the best.

The traditional tripod lashing puts the cross point below the lashing, and places an 'outward' load on the lashing itself. The upper part of each leg is pulled out and away from the lashing, keeping everything tight. The legs touching at the cross point a second point of contact, increasing the stability of the tripod. A load on the lashing will be spread evenly, and pull everything tighter.

With the method you are using, the cross point is at the lashing itself. There is a single contact point, and a load placed upon the lashing will not pull it tighter. It is much harder to get the correct tightness on this lashing, and it is more likely to slip under load. A load on the lashing will be concentrated on a 1 or 2 of the legs, and it will not tighten the lashing.

Most examples where the single cross point is recommended, will have cross legs at the top and/or bottom of the tripod (like your stool/chair example).

TLDR; your method may be suboptimal, but it isn't wrong

Hope that helps!

Traditional, cross point below lashing:
    tripod.gif
    tripodg3.gif

Extra tightness added to traditional:
    lashing-8.gif

Cross point at lashing:
    lashing-7.gif

Additional information, and image sources:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/skill...b/lashings.htm

http://imgarcade.com/1/shear-lashing/

Images
    I used the cross point at lashing method on my bamboo Turtlelady stand and haven't had any issues.Because the legs are splayed out the lashing really doesn't slip.

Thanks for thorough input. Now I need to get home so I can digest it. I think I will keep one as I have and take the other to be more traditional. Then use them like that for a while and see the results.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    There is a better way of lashing a tripod. Plains Indians used it for thousands of years on their tipis. I read it in a book by Reginald and Gladys Laubin called the Indian Tipi
    Possible spelling errors
    It faster stronger simpler and uses less rope. I will be at SC Fall Sprawl next week and they might photo this tripod lashing in sequence as it's being assembled. And it's a real fast way to suspend a pot over a small cooking fire. Watch for Fall Sprawl SC trip report.

• + New Posts