Hi Folks,

I'm old, but new here. My sole experience with hammocks is using them in a little fracas we had in South East Asia almost 40 years ago. They worked great to keep bugs, leaches and snakes out of your bed, but the problem then was mostly keeping dry and cool...not warm.

I plan to be a hanger on motorcycle trips and canoe trips, mostly on the right coast...maybe into Canada some too. This will be mostly April thru November so we're not talking real cold weather for the most part. Weight is not a factor in equipment selection...within reason since I won't be carrying it far from the bike or canoe.

I just ordered a HH Safari Deluxe which I have not recieved yet and am wondering if I can use a twin size down quilt folded in half as an undercover? I'm not sure what I might need to keep it in place yet, but the size I saw in SPortsman's Guide was 58" wide so I'm thinking it will work folded in half. Maybe a full size would give more down on the job, but I'm concerned about keeping it in place. At this point I am very ill informed, but reading here seems to be the answer to many of my questions. Hopefully, it will come together when I the hammock and play with it.

I almost bought the HH super shelter, but was confused about how it works, so I guess once I get the hammock, I can figure out if I need it or can use another method of keeping my butt warm.

I am still confused about this idea of laying on a diagonal and how that will work with the undercover/quilt....maybe that will shake out when I get the hammock and play with it a bit.

You folks have great forum here and thanks for having me!!

Joe