Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PS View Post
    For what it's worth, here's a pic of the Raon Mtn shelter. It's the old fire warden's cabin. It does have an "upstairs." It was a chilly place when we spent the night there the end of May and few years back!

Roan High Knob is supposed to be 17 tonight...

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Depending on weather I'll probably go up a couple days before the hang and stash the charcoal and grill and a shovel so we can bury boots/water/etc.

Hammock
    WBBB or GT traveller
    Tarp
    ZPacks asym
    Insulation
    Golite TQ / JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Cheapo webbing
    Images
    Medicine Man, that would be cheating! Dont we have to haul it all in?

Kidding. I hope the grill, charcoal, and a bottle or two of "antifreeze" are tucked away in advance, waiting on us to partake! But if we do need to hike it in, I will let you know that I started building a pulk sled this past weekend, in anticipation of such an epic event.
    It could be that the purpose of my life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Just an update. Since this outing looks to be small, I'd prefer to keep the logistics to actual time spent hanging ratio at an appropriate level.

Information about the location can be found here.

I will start an "official list" probably after Christmas and post more information then.
    Most hangs don't have all that much risk associated with them. This one will probably have deep snow, and severely cold temperatures. The road up to Carver's Gap may also present a challenge.
    With that being said, it will be somewhat important to have a list of who will be coming and when they expect to arrive. In this case, it's a safety issue. If someone says that they expect to be there and do not arrive, we'll probably need to go looking to make sure you're ok. So please, let's make this fun and keep it safe. If you sign up and decide you don't want to go or cannot make it, please update your status so that we don't have to get in SAR mode when in reality you're sitting at home sipping the beverage of your choice on the sofa.

Thanks!
    Wisenber

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Watching this thread closely. I am intrigued and have never been to Roan Mountain. Its on the must hike list for me but I didn't anticpate doing it in frigid temps. Love snow camping. Are snow shoes a must for this event?

Very tempting . . .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix,LHBR,PP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Possibly interested in the Roan Mountain trip. Don't know if my equipment is adequate. I have ordered a 3S Phoenix (old crowsnest). Have two 30 F bags I could probably use for top. I have a HH Hex tarp (supposed to be good for winter).

I have a friend that might let me borrow his peapod if my equipment won't be sufficient.

Does anybody have any thoughts on my equipment and the Roan Mtn trip? What would the low temp likely be and the wind chill?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Such capricious weather and looks like this winter ever moreso than a lot. This last week is a good example. One day in Bristol where I work the low was 4F, in a neighboring city it was 3F but at my house near Roan (at 4000 feet) it was only 0F where 9 times out of 10 its 10-12 cooler. The coldest so far at my house (2.5 miles from Hughes Gap or almost the same from Roan High Knob) is -2F. Did I get to enjoy my home temps-NO, I was stuck working in the city.

When I got home the high the next day was 42F and the highs for the next week in the city of Roan Mountain (not to be confused with the mountain itself are projected to be in the upper 30s.

Snowshoes? Always good to have but you've probably walked on hardpack hovering 3 feet above the actual ground but sometimes it's a posthole to the knee. The snow I hate is the kind that supports your weight for a second then you pop through and its jars your joints when your foot hits bottom.

Roan, Mitchell, Rogers,Gregory,etc., in fact any mountain above 5000 feet in Jan. or Feb. is consider alpine in the south. Plan accordingly.
    Remember our first challenge will be getting to Carvers Gap on the stated day.

Don't forget the shelter is very very close by and its fully enclosed with solid wood floor. A pad and your top quilt will do well if you get grounded by the cold.
    The hike is is 1.5 miles and within 2 days the road to Carvers is plowed, just in case we get a 3 foot dump like in 92-93. Speaking of, many at work are reflecting back to 1982 when it was -32F at my house and -15 in Johnson City. I can confirm the -15 number but not the -32F since I was in the city at the time.

Alas all that said I remember one day in December several years ago and it was 72F
    Last edited by MedicineMan; 12-17-2010 at 23:29.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bike camper View Post
    Possibly interested in the Roan Mountain trip. Don't know if my equipment is adequate. I have ordered a 3S Phoenix (old crowsnest). Have two 30 F bags I could probably use for top. I have a HH Hex tarp (supposed to be good for winter).

I have a friend that might let me borrow his peapod if my equipment won't be sufficient.

Does anybody have any thoughts on my equipment and the Roan Mtn trip? What would the low temp likely be and the wind chill?

Thanks!
    As Medicineman mentioned, it could be 70 or it could be well below 0. I would recommend testing your gear in a backyard situation if the temps get low enough. Hammock insulation can also be combined with clothing worn. Site selection can reduce windchill. A short trip with a short hike into potentially extreme conditions is a good opportunity to learn. As the date gets nearer, we'll have a better idea of the weather and how much snow will be there. Between now and then, we can cover who has which gear and what might also be needed.

I'm hoping for miserably cold weather in which I can sleep toasty warm in my hammock.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Insulation
    ThermaRest Z-Lite
    Images
    I am possibly interested in the trip as well. As of right now I definitely dont have adequate gear for it though. But what better way to spend a birthday than in a hammock in sub zero temperatures?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Hey we'll need a BD cake! Mine is on Feb. 11 th !!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast