Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Rolled Hem Foot

Practicing today with my rolled hem foot. This is what I'm getting. The even threading is on the top, the munged up version is on the bottom.

Thoughts? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images
    Try doing it by hand. Once you start it just folds on its own and you just got to keep it straight. I gave up on the hem foot?
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It would be easier to see what is going on if there was more contrast between the fabric and thread. Upon first glance it would appear that your top tension may need to be adjusted. If you do another sample with more contrast we may be able to tell better.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When you say top tension adjusted, would it be higher tension or lower tension? I tightened the tension by one number and it appears to be better but not as flat as the top. Of course I could be imagining things too! Should both top and bottom stitches be similar looking?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Knotch it up one more number. The top tension is easily adjustable to account for different fabrics and such. As per appearance... the threads should be smooth and taut with the 'Lock" or twist embedded in the middle of the fabric not visible from either side. Try putting the top tension all the way to the tightest and report back what it looks like.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well I think I inadvertantly figured out what was happening. I didn't need to dial up the tension to max. Ran out of thread and started another spool. The thread I was using was heavier than what the second spool. In fact, had to dial the tension down to get the stitches to be even.

Lesson learned. Heavier thread, higher tension? Thanks for the help on this one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Yeppers.. that's usually the way it works. Everyone gets that sooner or later.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    It looks to me from your photos as if you are not giving the foot enough material to work with. This is aside from the thread tension issue. I have found two reasons for this to happen.
    On a 1/8" rolled hem foot (the most common size) you fold 1/8" of material and then fold another 1/8" of material, forming a tube. This is what you feed to the foot. If you aren't folding over that second time, the foot won't wave enough material to work with.

What has happened to me more often is that I have not been holding the material slightly up before it enters the foot, and this will mess you up too. The way that it works is that if you hold the material up it will engage the guide on the foot, and get fed into the foot correctly. If the material is not held up, it won't touch the guide and will want to unroll. There are a few vids on youtube that deal with the rolled hem foot very well. If you haven't watched any of them, watch several. There are plenty of poorly done and even incorrect sewing instruction videos out there.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Okay back to the foot issue and getting it to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It looks to me from your photos as if you are not giving the foot enough material to work with. This is aside from the thread tension issue. I have found two reasons for this to happen.
    On a 1/8" rolled hem foot (the most common size) you fold 1/8" of material and then fold another 1/8" of material, forming a tube. This is what you feed to the foot. If you aren't folding over that second time, the foot won't wave enough material to work with.
    I tried that today with some 1.1 nylon. I see what you say about keeping it folded over. One of the vids made it look easy but there was no narration so poorly done.

What has happened to me more often is that I have not been holding the material slightly up before it enters the foot, and this will mess you up too. The way that it works is that if you hold the material up it will engage the guide on the foot, and get fed into the foot correctly. If the material is not held up, it won't touch the guide and will want to unroll. There are a few vids on youtube that deal with the rolled hem foot very well. If you haven't watched any of them, watch several. There are plenty of poorly done and even incorrect sewing instruction videos out there.
    Ah. I see that now. That would make sense.

Thanks pedro.I

I'm thinking it is a matter of technique in the feed. I ran some 1.1 through the thing today and at some points it looked great at others, not so great. Nevertheless I was able to bodge together a little sack for my stakes. It will spend most of its life out of sight which is probably good!!

So if most folks 'round here don't use the rolled hem foot, do you pin up all your hems in nylon? This device is made for lightweight fabric so I figured it would be useful.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

do you have any links to the "GOOD" vids?
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast