I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Myself .... I like a paper filled book that I can lay back and hold and bend and put on my bookshelf so folks think that I am a smart and well read feller.
    Just cannot get into e-books .... yet.
    I am becoming quickly a contrarian........ I like it.
    Shug of Old School
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I think publishing a book is a fantastic idea!
    The book will not contain the most cutting edge info, but thats why we have the forum!
    I also like the idea of having a paper book in hand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I think it's a neat idea, but....

Like Shug, I'm a fella that likes a book, not a machine, to read from. By the same token, I like an author, not a multitude of authors. It's the 'charm' that comes from reading something penned by a single source. The author is able to shape the reader's perspective and influence the journey. That has rarely been accomplished by a collation of authors, those books lose their intimacy with the reader. I know this is more of a technical writing adventure which lends itself more to a collaboration system, but the art of hammocking is so personal at its core that I think a book about hammocking would need a level of personality. Ed's book is a great example; it's written with Ed's slant on hammocking. I don't agree with, or follow, many of his guidelines because they don't mesh with how I roll. However, I enjoyed discovering his justifications for his methods and I'm certain they had an influence on my style of hanging.

That's the warm/fuzzy section, but what about the many, many, many varied opinions on what's "right"? Case in point, the thread about feet being higher or lower than the head. I've always viewed this as a no-brainer, but am discovering there are a few different perspectives on that issue. Now, imagine a book about hammocks written by a few dozen different people. A singular person can present an opinion effectively, a group can't provide an opinion, only opinions. I think it has the potential to take away from a book that could be a good read, or a good reference resource.

Just my opinions while taking the stance of the Devil's Advocate. I'm all about the spread of knowledge and seeing outside of our own little worlds and we are due for a new hammock book. I just think our community would be best served by a book written by an author, or two, instead of a manual full of differing views. I could be wrong as I often am, but those are my thoughts.

I was taught to find silver linings in life, here we go: What about a group of authors that each write their hammocking manifesto and contribute it to the book as a section? Kind of like a collection of short stories from hangers. Each author would represent a different viewpoint on hanging. Be it stealth, camping, paddling, backyard, etc. Each author would have the time to explain the why of why they do it and it would allow readers to zero in on a hanger that shares similar priorities. So, if a SUL hiker wants to read about how "food" packs his pack, he/she can. If they want a lesson in cold hanging, they can read about Shug's adventures in the tundra. So on and so on. I'm thinking a format like that would avoid many of the problems with differing viewpoints by telling the reader upfront about the author and how/why their priorities and style are the way they are in the book. Just thinking out loud.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    maybehaps we could have an anthology? each developer/provider doing a few/several pages on their specialty, and an overall editor to arrange things?

Hammock
    HH Expedition w/Hex Tarp, Mod 3
    Insulation
    Potomac KAQ, MSS
    Suspension
    Stock

Now we're getting somewhere!

Great input, Cannibal. I was thinking along the lines of an anthology. For example, have Shug offer his view on cold weather camping. Come to think of it, let's get Shug to put together all his videos and reviews into a book! I'll bet we could sell three or four copies, at least! Hey, Shug! PM me and let's do it!
    I still think we could put something together for HF that could be informative, humorous, thought provoking and interesting that would reach way beyond our forum borders. Hey! That's it! Sell it through "Border's' book stores! LOL.
    It sounds like the interest is there. We just need to get together on how to format the book and do it. The book may not please everyone, but it never will anyway. Let's git 'er done.
    Lloyd

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Couple of random thoughts, FWIW...

As I recall from a certain writing reference from my distant past the first thing to do before putting pen to paper is to "analyze purpose and audience" -- why would we do this, and for whom would we be doing it? IMHO, that needs to get nailed down pretty early in this process.

In that vein, I like the anthology concept as a way to do what Cannibal suggests - a set of short stories. There are several here with tales worth sharing. You get a lot from the posts and videos, but I'd like the larger glimpse into the person and the whys behind the whats that this format might offer. That takes a lot of work to do, though and someone like Shug, to pick an example, already has a pretty full plate just making a living. I hope there are potential ghost writers and editors lurking on the forum that could do the grunt work for him.

Perhaps a topically arranged, suitably annotated, appendix, indexed to relevant points in each 'story', would be a way to include a tech reference.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Poet View Post
    Great input, Cannibal. I was thinking along the lines of an anthology. For example, have Shug offer his view on cold weather camping. Come to think of it, let's get Shug to put together all his videos and reviews into a book! I'll bet we could sell three or four copies, at least! Hey, Shug! PM me and let's do it!
    I still think we could put something together for HF that could be informative, humorous, thought provoking and interesting that would reach way beyond our forum borders. Hey! That's it! Sell it through "Border's' book stores! LOL.
    It sounds like the interest is there. We just need to get together on how to format the book and do it. The book may not please everyone, but it never will anyway. Let's git 'er done.
    Lloyd
    Haaaaa ... I abhor paperwork !!!!!!!!! Tis why I do the videos.
    I support the cause though.
    No-Script Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    An updated version of a Hammocking book is seriously overdue, I would most definetely buy a copy or two and I am sure other people would also. I don't think there would be any problem with getting rid of any copies, let's all think of the issues we've experienced with the "Dutch" clip thingee. Like stated before...print and sell what you print and then next time if it has been updated so be it. I don't think anyone here would have a problem with owning a book that is always under construction and would just like to have a copy of the current stuff that they can actually hold in there hands and read late at night while hanging in the olde' hammock.

I think it is a good idea and we should push ahead with the discussion and get this thing done.....we would be doing it for ourselves ya know....and anyone else that we would surely tell about it too.
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DIY Nylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    AHE webbing
    As a beginner in hammocking I would like to see a book that covers the basics. Enough information to form a well educated guess at what might be best for me.

I know we have a very wide variety of personalities and conditions over the spectrum of HF members, and it's sometimes difficult (for me at least) to get the perspective of when, where & why from forum posts.

As an example -
    A member in a very cold climate may have a much different need for bottom insulation than someone from a warm climate. I usually camp in the summer, and it's rare for nighttime temps to dip below 50° F. When I read that a brand X underquilt is the best yet it sounds great to me, but may be "overkill" for my needs. Instead of the $300. underquilt, a $15. CCF pad may be all I need.
    The book could give options for varying needs, such as to say for hanging in temps above 50° F, a CCF pad may fill your needs, for hanging in temps between 60° F and 30° F a 3/4 length underquilt may be the best option, and for temps below 40° F you may want to look into a full underquilt, CCF pad/3/4 underquilt combo, or whatever else might be suitable.

Same for suspension, tarps, top insulation, etc.

A book could give the beginner a good reference point to start buying & trying from, while staying within a reasonable budget.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    I have a question. Why is it a question of printed book or e-book. Why not both? The Kindle is becoming quite popular and could expand the audience a lot. I know Mule caries a Kindle when he hikes. Many want an actual book and that is fine to. Since the ultimate goals are to get information out and make a buck for HF then why not go both routs. I think if we go the purist rout of "we must have a actual book" then we are hurting the ability to both get information out to he public and make money. The two could easily go hand in hand.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast