I just finished making a Climashield APEX Top Quilt using Argon 90 Fabric I bought from Dutch. I wanted a lightweight synthetic for my sweaty summer backpacking trips. Although I've sewn some converted quilts (converted from Costco blankets and Army Poncho Liners), this was my first "from scratch" build.

Specs:
  • Cut dimensions: 78" x 54" with 45.5" circumference (14.5" diameter) circular footbox cap
  • Final dimensions: 75.5” x 52.5” with 44” circumference circular footbox
  • Outer fabric: Woodland Camo Argon 90 (15D)
  • Inner fabric: Dark Olive Argon 90 (15D)
  • Fill: 2.5oz Climashield APEX
  • Final weight: 391g (13.79oz)

Photos:
IMG_3771.jpgIMG_3772.jpgIMG_3773.jpg

Some observations and tips:
  • There are many videos, instruction guides, HF posts, etc. with directions and tips; read/watch as many as you can for hidden ideas
  • Argon 90 is very easy to work with
  • Sewing with tissue paper under the APEX really does help keep the insulation from binding up in the machine
  • With a printed layer and a solid layer (like I had), sewing with the solid layer on top makes it easier to see the stitching as you go
  • Argon 90 has two different sides; be careful to ensure you stack things so that the correct sides will show in the finished product
  • Measure the foot end of the quilt after it's sewn but before you cut the end cap to ensure you cut the circle the correct size
  • Cut end cap larger than you need and it will be easier to sew on to the quilt because you won't have to sew so close to the edges
  • Creating a round footbox isn't difficult, but the sewing can be challenging (particularly if you haven't sized correctly)
  • Pinning the end cap to the quilt body first helps keep things aligned when sewing the footbox
  • Pin pin pin pin!! Pin everything both inside and outside the lines before you cut
  • Trimming excess material near the sewn seams before you turn things rightside-in will make the finished product look cleaner
  • The opening that you plan to invert through should be at the foot of the quilt; the external stitching won't show once the footbox is created
  • I only tapered about 8" total because I'm a big guy and like it roomier for my legs; with a more traditional taper, it would have weighed even less
  • The footbox really does stand up on it's own just like it looks in the picture (an unexpected but pleasant surprise)

I welcome comments and questions.
And if you've made your own synth TQ, I encourage you to share your own observations and tips.