Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cord on Cord Damage

I see a lot of interest in the becket rig and other hangs that have eliminated much of the metal hardware.

My question: compared to nylon, is Dyneema (or UHDPE, generally) immune from rope-on-rope interaction and less prone to damage?

Back in the day, when I caved and climbed a bit, direct, rope-on-rope interaction was a major, No No. It could chafe or even melt the rope so one ALWAYS used hardware between ropes (other than knots.)

From the Petzl website:
    97A68170-5D50-4FD1-9635-72ABB401E6DE.jpeg

(Obviously, you don’t want sharp rope bends with a piton, metal hanger, etc.)

Granted, comparing a climbing rope, with dynamic, potentially life saving (ending) loading is a bit different compared to a relatively static, hammock hang three feet off the ground, but no rope on rope rubbing was a fundamental lesson one learned.

Are the basic characteristics of Dyneema such that it is relatively immune from chafing and abrasion or are we assuming that a hang is a non life threatening application (assuming a knot’s position moves around from hang to hang, and a user will inspect and replace a soft shackle or webbing before they go thump) gives hangers license to just ignore that old rule?

On a side note, I’ve been hanging for probably fifteen + years and hadn’t visited the forum in several years. It’s interesting to see how the rigging systems keep evolving. I started with a Hennessy, evolved to a Blackbird, got a bridge (which I really didnt like) and tried a number of rigging methods - ring buckles, webbing, whoopies, etc. finally settling on a Dutch Buckle, clip and webbing.

I’m considering giving the becket a try for the fun of it, though my current suspension works well.

Cheers
    Last edited by TheWalkman; 05-30-2021 at 16:14.

• + New Posts