Hammock
    SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I have a SLD Voyageur made out of the Hexon 1.2. I’m 5’10 and around 175 lbs and it’s been great from a durability perspective. I also like the soft texture compared to my MTN 1.2 hammock. I say go for it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    If you are looking for less stretch, I think MTN 1.2 at RSBTR is less "stretchy" ....

Hammock
    Dream Wingspan
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    DW daisy w/ mantis
    Thank you, gentlemen! The Banshee UL is exactly what I'm looking at. At 11.5 ounces and a 10 ounce DCF tarp, I can get my shelter weight just about equal to the Gossamer Gear The One tent.

Thanks for the suspension suggestion Iceman - that would cut 4 or more ounces.

Twistytee - now I have one more hammock to look at! Looks like the Voyageur is netless (not an issue, I have a bottom entry bug net), how much does it weigh?

And Cruiser - RSBTR is a new acronym for me... no wait.... it's ripstop by the roll. I'll look at others using the MTN fabric.

I should mention that I'm pretty gentle/careful with my gear - I'm not made of money, and lightweight materials means extra care.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    Twistytee - now I have one more hammock to look at! Looks like the Voyageur is netless (not an issue, I have a bottom entry bug net), how much does it weigh?
    Mine is a 10’ x 58” version, so not too dissimilar to the Banshee’s dimensions. It weighs about 9.5oz in the bishop bag, and I’m doing a MYOG Fronkey style net that’s ~3oz. So a little heavier than the Banshee during bug season but I like the optionality to take it netless during the winter and shoulder seasons. I also like the way Jared sews these mirroring the hood on the Trail Lair. I do think it helps spread the fabric under load and reduces calf ridge.

I haven’t slept in a Banshee but I’ve seen them up close during group hangs and it looks like a nice piece of kit.

Hammock
    Dream Wingspan
    Tarp
    HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    DW daisy w/ mantis
    Thanks for the info. In the battle between a new push cart for golf or a new Banshee.... the hammock wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Twistytee View Post
    I have a SLD Voyageur made out of the Hexon 1.2. I’m 5’10 and around 175 lbs and it’s been great from a durability perspective. I also like the soft texture compared to my MTN 1.2 hammock. I say go for it.
    Do you think the feel of the Hexon 1.2 is worth giving up the width of the MTN 1.2 fabric?

I'm debating which hammock to buy now and kind of down to these 2 fabrics. I'm only like 5'9/160lbs. Hexon 1.2 hammcocks are also lighter by a few ounces due to narrower width.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    Do you think the feel of the Hexon 1.2 is worth giving up the width of the MTN 1.2 fabric?

I'm debating which hammock to buy now and kind of down to these 2 fabrics. I'm only like 5'9/160lbs. Hexon 1.2 hammcocks are also lighter by a few ounces due to narrower width.
    I’ve had two hammocks in the MTN 1.2, one 11’ as wide as possible and one 11’ cut down to 62”. I’ve ultimately decided I prefer 10.5’ x 58” hammocks at my height. They are lighter as you’ve noted, they don’t create the excess wall of fabric, and I no longer need to use tie-outs to keep the fabric away from my head when sleeping. I find I still get a good diagonal hang and can locate the hammock “sweet spot” quicker than in wider hammocks. I think the consensus trend here is that wider is better, but that’s not true for me. I long distance hike with my kit and sticking with standard dimensions keeps things lighter and yet still comfortable which is a win win.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW DCF Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ, JacksRBetter
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    I have a Chameleon Wide Hexon 1.6 - I'm 6ft and it lays fine, but is just seems like there is a lot of extra fabric at the sides/sidewall. Have been considering ordering a standard width - if I do I'll likely switch from the single 1.6 to a dual layer 1.2 or 1.0 maybe... I orginally went with 1.6 due to the weight limits, but have lost quite a bit of weight so while I am comfortably under the 1.2 limit these days, I'd still like the dual layer to help with bugs bites - as here in Florida I got without an UQ a lot.

Honestly I'd really like to try the Banyon, but I'm pretty close to it's limit still, unfortunatly. Under, but close enough that I worry about it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123