HF is a great resource for hammock related knot information
and some real experts provide so much. Phantom Grappler, Myers, and so many others have pushed the envelope in regards to knots as they relate to hammocks.

In my recent research, I've discovered that contrasting viewpoints are everywhere to be found.

Some people exclaim particular knots to be ineffective and others swear by them. Some say de-rating a line is a death sentence, while others point to load ratings and application relevance. Some imply impending doom, while others attest to years of reliable service.

I've been studying knots for a while, so I feel like I know how to distinguish between good info and the knot Nostradamus'.

My concern is for the folks trying to learn a new knot and being dissuaded by the proclamations of "DEATH" if you use a particular knot, or a certain type of rope. Regardless of people attesting to years of success using a particular knot, someone will come along and say "you may die". Regardless of success for different materials holding knots, folks come along and say "it won't hold a knot".

So, I guess the purpose of this post is two-fold:

1. To all of the innovators and the users who've provided great insight and testimony about knots, Thank you!

2. To those seeking out information about knots, BEWARE THE NAYSAYER. Seriously, the foreboding and ominous predictions I've seen just don't match up with reality.

Study the folks who can provide empirical analysis. Test knots yourself, just don't do it from a highwire. Try out different materials. You may be able to make something work that someone else couldn't, because they weren't doing it right.

Here is a photo of a Utility Constrictor Rope with a tautline hitch as the locking knot. Tautline isn't supposed to work on amsteel according to many. But, coupled with the UCR bury is bombproof. This one has been in service for nearly three years and hasn't slipped an inch. Ever.

ucr with tautline hitch.jpg

Just like each one should Hang Your Own Hang, I think it would be prudent for folks to find what works for them. Don't be discouraged by the hypertensive proclamations of impending doom and try things for yourself in a low risk environment.

https://www.animatedknots.com is a great resource!

Heck, you may be the next innovator of a revolutionary and death defying knot for the hammock world!