Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ridgerunner Questions

I just set my new Ridgerunner up for the first time. I've been a gathered end guy for a decade. This is my first bridge hammock; so, in some ways, it's like starting over. First question out of the chute: How tight is the fabric supposed to be, ideally, while laying in it. The fabric around me is snare drum tight. Is it supposed to be?

I couldn't get my angle right, or, I should say, I couldn't experiment much. To get close to a 25 degree angle I had to really shorten the whoopies. The next step, for experimentation of the angle is to hang the straps and carabiner lower; but, that will seriously interfere with my length. It is currently connected at about 5 ft 8 inches. If I lower the straps further (see current in third picture in next post), they will clearly pull in to the center more. The span at which they are currently connected is at about 15 feet.
    Last edited by BigSky!; 07-31-2017 at 22:41.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

1st hang, pre-occupy.

1st hang, occupied.

Connection.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    The fabric will be tight when weighted (i.e. laying in it) as will the side edges. The Ridgerunner doesn't have all the extra fabric like a gathered end style hammock. If you flick it with your finger it will be "drum" like. It still should be comfortable though.

Your angle does look a bit low based on your pictures. I tried using whoopies with my Ridgerunner, but don't any longer. Generally the RR needs a bit more inter-tree spacing and whoopies will require even more distance. Currently I am using Dutch's Beetle Buckles and dyneema/polypropylene straps. My turtle dog stand also has a 15' span. If I were to take a picture like your third picture of my set up you would see the Beetle Buckle, my continuous loop, and apex buckle of the Ridgerunner. That's how close I hang it to get the angle I want.

The camo fabric is cool!
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 07-31-2017 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    The fabric will be tight when weighted (i.e. laying in it) as will the side edges. The Ridgerunner doesn't have all the extra fabric like a gathered end style hammock. If you flick it with your finger it will be "drum" like. It still should be comfortable though.
    Thanks for that confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by drsolarmolar View Post
    My turtle dog stand also has a 15' span. If I were to take a picture like your third picture of my set up you would see the Beetle Buckle, my continuous loop, and apex buckle of the Ridgerunner. That's how close I hang it to get the angle I want.
    At what height are your connections?
    John Steinbeck

Senior Member Andy "Bull" Bullock's Avatar
    Hammock
    WB ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB lynx & Costco
    Suspension
    straps+Dutch bling
    Looks like you're doing fine! I'm still learning about mine myself. I use the webbing and some Dutch bling for mine. Your hangle looks a little saggy however. Was it comfortable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBRR
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Images
    Based on your unoccupied photo I hang mine tighter than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy "Bull" Bullock View Post
    Your hangle looks a little saggy however. Was it comfortable?
    It was comfortable. I too thought it might be too saggy; however, my concern (as expressed above about drum tight) was how tight it was or how stressed it might be by being too tight. Consequently, before stressing it further, I decided to post this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
    Based on your unoccupied photo I hang mine tighter than that.
    I intend to try to do so tonight by lowering my attachment points (from those in third picture) to see if I can get a better angle. The current angle requires me, with the whoopie slings, to hang it at a starting height of the top of the hammock about 36 inches off of the ground. I may try changing out the suspension as the whoopie slings don't appear to be the best option when it comes to attachment points being as close together as I currently have with my stand.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    The side weight is bearing the weigh in a bridge....fabric attached to it is carrying your load but the side webbing is what carries the load out. So be it at 25, 30 20 or 15 degrees the load on the fabric does not really change.

Overall the hang looks pretty decent but you could tighten it up a bit and still be ok.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I don't know how much stress that stand can take, but I'll suggest this: 20-25* suspension angle. Adjust it tight enough that the fabric just about levels out from side to side across the center, but not taut. See how it feels and adjust from there. An ARL can be a useful tool to help find the right amount of sag. I find the foot end of the RR needs to be higher than the head otherwise I keep sliding.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    As seen in your first (unoccupied hammock) photo, the foot end is less than one siding board (on the house) higher than the head end. I would try increasing that difference to from one to two full siding board width(s), for comfort. You can raise the foot attachment, lower the head end, or a combination of both; it doesn't matter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast