Costco Throw Top Quilt and Under Quilt Advice?

I am going camping in Havasupai in a few weeks (mid-October) and want to make my own top quilt and under quilt from the Costco throws. Do I need two throws for each project in order to get warmth below 50 degrees or can I get away with one each? Can I just fold over one of the throws (as shown in Derek's popular instructions that I used a poncho liner for previously) or would that be too small? Any advice is appreciated.

Hammock
    Whipper - 10ft NylonD
    Tarp
    DIY DCF w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Argon 67
    Suspension
    Dyneema Becket
    Images
    Well here is my own two cents. Some context: I am a guy, I sleep warm, and my tests are always using lightweight wool socks, silk long johns, a lightweight wool hoody, inflatable pillow, and a CCF foot pad.

I have been comfy in my costco underquilt and top quilt down to the mid 40s. This was without a tarp to block wind, so I would put my personal "rating" of the single quilts I made at 45*. YMMV

I made my UQ by pulling the seams, consolidating the down to one side, and reducing its width to 45" (from 70") wide, 60" (original length) long rectangle. Then I added channels on the sides for the suspension and on the ends to cinch up.

I made the TQ in a similar way, again, starting by pulling the seams in one direction. First though, this time, I trimmed of a strip that was 10" (2 squares) wide and 70" long. I took all the 10" seams out and consolidated all that down into just a 10"x10" square, which formed the bottom of my footbox. Then I consolidated all of the down into a half tapered shape (50" wide at the head end, 40" at the foot, 70" long overall). I stitched the lower 24" or so together. Then I sewed on the 10x10 square to create an enclosed,3d foot box.

Sorry if that sounds complicated. But, it ended up going pretty smoothly, and they turned out to be great quilts.

Hopefully this helps!

• + New Posts