Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    CF Standard
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar BH

UQ protector?

Does anyone have any experience using underquilt protectors on HG quilts? Are they necessary if you have 90 argon on the outside of your UQ? How much do they help?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Probably not necessary on a 4-season Superfly tarp with doors. I tend to think UQPs are more for people who like skimpier tarps that are more exposed to wind than one would be under a 4-season tarp with doors like the Superfly. I've got a 4-season HG Winter Palace with doors, and have never felt the need for an UQP. Once you close the doors off, there isn't much chance of wind robbing the UQ of warmth (and if it is a factor, an UQP probably wouldn't change that at all).

If I had a Warbonnet Edge tarp (11.25 oz.) I could get a 2QZQ ripstop UQP weighing 6.5 ounces, or an Argon 90 UQP at 5.4 ounces. However, I'd rather just have a 4-season Superfly tarp with doors and forget the UQP.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-14-2016 at 18:11.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I use one with all my quilts(HG, JrB, DIY), but I also use a minimal coverage WL Tadpole tarp. I'm with SS on the tarp coverage thought. I don't care what the outer fabric of your quilt is, if your tarp doesn't keep you out of the wind you're going to lose the heat in your quilt.

I'm of the opinion that a dri ducks poncho modded as a weather shield http://theultimatehang.com/2013/02/d...eather-shield/ retains more heat than an Argon UQP.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Probably not necessary on a 4-season Superfly tarp with doors. I tend to think UQPs are more for people who like skimpier tarps that are more exposed to wind than one would be under a 4-season tarp with doors like the Superfly. I've got a 4-season HG Winter Palace with doors, and have never felt the need for an UQP. Once you close the doors off, there isn't much chance of wind robbing the UQ of warmth (and if it is a factor, an UQP probably wouldn't change that at all).
    If I had a Warbonnet Edge tarp (11.25 oz.) I could get a 2QZQ ripstop UQP weighing 6.5 ounces, or an Argon 90 UQP at 5.4 ounces. However, I'd rather just have a 4-season Superfly tarp with doors and forget the UQP.

Thank you so much for this post. I have been on again, off again with purchasing an UQP; as I am also saving money to purchase the HG Winter Palace. I had finally decided that I may end up selling the Edge after getting the WP and putting some of the money to the Argon UQP. Now I have more confidence in the WP to protect me all the way around and may still keep the Edge for use after a Thru Hike.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I pretty much agree with SilvrSurfr. I had a UQP for about 2 years and never used it. Well, I used it once and it somehow got a good 4oz or so of standing water in it! Not sure if rain leaked down the suspension or what. Regardless, I never found them to be necessary. My thinking is, if I need a UQP to "keep the warmth in", then I'm not setting my UQ up correctly. On a recent trip I slept at 25° with a steady 20mph+ wind all night. I didn't even set my tarp up that well since it was late and I was in a hurry. I slept fine.

And some people mention rain "splashing" up from the ground. Wow, where are people setting up camp!? I'd rather stay home if it's that crappy of a site.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    On a recent trip I slept at 25° with a steady 20mph+ wind all night. I didn't even set my tarp up that well since it was late and I was in a hurry. I slept fine.
    Was that with your 0° or your 20°?
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

UQ protector?

I use one of the embossed UQP from 2QZQ. I actually got it to protect the quilt from my wet puppies but it does pretty good for a bit more extra warmth. I plan to test it in the warmer season without a UQ to see if it helps with bug bites/cold winds.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    Was that with your 0° or your 20°?
    20°, which I since then sold for a 20° short. But they perform the same for my height from what I can tell so far.

UQ protector?

Great question been wondering about a UQP also .... thanks for the post

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast