NEED HELP HERE...

Does any body knows any backpacking place near Chicago 4 hr or less to go backpacking without permits or fees.
    thank you in advance

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I have only driven through your neck of the woods, but ...

Google says that Manistee National Forest's southern edge is about 3 hours from Chicago. Nicolete National Forest is also in your range. I have gone mountain biking in Brown County State Park (near Columbus, IN) it is nice and also within your range.

Without permits and fees may be difficult. Free is fairly easy, but most places like to issue permits to help monitor usage.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Google maps says it's about 4.5 hours from Chicago to the Red Bridge trailhead for the NCT/Manistee River Trail loop http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/127/

thank you .

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Just backpacking or an overnight???

Kettle Moraine State Forest- Southern Unit
    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/kms/?prompt=0

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL

Lightbulb A Few Places To Backpack And Hang

Howdy and Welcome!!

Nowhere that I am aware of is sans fees. At the minimum a State Park or National Forest sticker is required. Most areas also require a camp site fee for staying overnight. To put things in perspective, you'll spend much more in gas getting to and fro than you will in fees.

Near to home (for you) the Des Plaines river has many miles of trails. You may have noticed the threads in the MidWest forum about the McKinley Woods/I&M group hangs.

As Goobie mentioned, there are a lot of options in the KMSF-SU. From backpacking between adirondack style shelters (many of us have hung near the shelters) to backpacking from one campground to another. Same can be said for the KMSF-NU (Northern Unit).

If you don't mind "pretend", or as I call it "practice", backpacking where you hike during the day and camp at a site at night, Bong Rec, High Cliff, Penninsula and Newport are great spots. Time in the outdoors is what you make of it!! Each has tons of trails with a mix of woods, prairies, hills, water, scenic views, etc. Sites have a picnic table and fire ring, with water and toilets within walking distance, but most are otherwise primitive. Most sites have some trees. Some sites are more hangable than others.

Near the northern edge of your 4 hour limit is the southern 1/3 of the Chequamegon-Nicolet NF, aka C-N. This NF allows "true" backpacking where the sky is the limit! Backpack on or off trail (walk where you want), camp at sites or off trail (sleep where you want), plenty of good (after you boil or filter) water, wildlife, abundant trees, gorgeous scenery, etc. The Jones Spring Trail area is a great place to get your feet wet in the C-N NF.

Near the northwest edge of your limit is Black River State Forest, aka BRSF, which also allows you to hike on or off trail and sleep off trail or at a site.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg! There are a lifetime's worth of miles to be had on the Ice Age Trail, Glacial Drumlin, other State trails, other SP's (State Parks) and NF's (National Forests), SWA's (State Wildlife Areas), etc, etc. Happy Trails!!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaen View Post
    Does any body knows any backpacking place near Chicago 4 hr or less to go backpacking without permits or fees.
    thank you in advance
    I'm also in the area and always looking for like minded people to go for a long weekend hike in the area. The pickings are slim and most of the options were listed but if you ever need someone to split gas and fees with and hike with let me know.

• + New Posts