DIY Hammocks (Gram Wheenie Ultralight)

Curious as to how all you DIY guys are making your gathered end sling hammocks? I've got a couple Trek Light Doubles hammocks but I'm not quite happy. I think there is too much material and that if I went a little less wide using material it may be more comfortable on my knees and shoulders. Maybe so then I could hang my feet off the side without having to put sooo much sag and lay at such an angle. Just feel like I'm not laying as flat as I could be with less material. Too much tension on my knees even when I put clothes under them.

What dimensions are you boys measuring your DIY singles Hammocks at? What materials are you making them out of and why that specific material? Please keep in mind that I'm trying to keep it as light as possible with the material.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys' Pieces View Post
    Curious as to how all you DIY guys are making your gathered end sling hammocks?
    Not sure what you mean by "gathered end sling hammock"?

I've got a couple Trek Light Doubles hammocks but I'm not quite happy. I think there is too much material and that if I went a little less wide using material it may be more comfortable on my knees and shoulders.
    Less width won't make a hammock more comfortable. It will just save you weight if you don't use the full width. If you want more comfort, try a longer hammock.

What dimensions are you boys measuring your DIY singles Hammocks at?
    I don't know about the boys, but I usually measure the hammock body laid out flat from end to end - length as well as width.

What materials are you making them out of and why that specific material? Please keep in mind that I'm trying to keep it as light as possible with the material.
    I prefer less stretch, which means heavier fabric. If you don't mind (or actually like) stretch, you can save more weight, as lighter fabrics usually have more stretch. My favorite fabric is a 2.6oz double grid ripstop nylon. I'm OK with double layer 1.1oz ripstops or heavier. The only lighter fabric I can tolerate is the 1.4oz PolyD fabric.

That's great feedback thank you! Do you have any recommendations for length and width?

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    That's great feedback thank you! Do you have any recommendations for length and width?
    Seems like everyone's going with 11' now. I mean, that's not really true, but it used to be a suggestion for people taller than 6'. However I've see a ton of people on here than are shorter than that say they will never go back to 10' lengths.

I spent my first night in my Dutch Argon 11' a couple of weeks ago. The last time I was in my HH Expedition, my right ankle was rolled all night and I woke up with it sore. That was not the case with the Dutch, so I think I"ll stick with 11' for sure. I'm 6'1" btw.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Do you have any recommendations for length and width?
    Recommendations are difficult, because comfort is such an individual thing - and there are so many factors that influence how a hammock feels. Many people seem to prefer 11' over shorter hammocks. According to specs, the Trek Light Double hammock is 10' long, so 11' is the next logical step. There are a couple of other things that you might try.

Have you already played with suspension angles? If you don't use one, yet, try an adjustable ridgeline. This way, if you find an angle that feels great, you can replicate it.

Have you tried hanging your head end lower? This helps a bit with pressure in the leg area.

I have also had good success with changing the whipping. The style that works best for me is a simple zig-zag fold (like an accordion). My feeling is, that it helps redistribute pressure.

If none of this helps, I would probably try a longer hammock, and/or a less stretchy fabric. I get more shoulder squeeze and calf ridges with stretchy fabric. I made quite a few hammocks from different fabrics, and the 1.4oz PolyD has some pretty amazing characteristics. I have never used a hammock that had a flatter lay, and there's absolutely zero calf ridge. So maybe give this one a try if everything else fails.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Look Up Sgt Rock's Ghost Hammock. It's a pattern for an 8ft x 4ft hammock with a foot box, and surprisingly comfortable. He makes it from 1.1 to be the lightest possible, but other materials will stil be pretty light, and have a bit less stretch. I made one from 1.9 and enjoyed it, and it was only 7oz.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    My UL hammock with suspension is 7.5 ounces.

It's made of 1.4 Poly D, 4.5 x 9.5 feet, has a Dynaglide suspension with Dutch whoopie hooks at the tree and speed hooks at the hammock.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

• + New Posts