Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Suggestions for a more adjustable Hennessy suspension

Hi there,

Here comes my first post on the hammockforums.
    I live in Sweden and got a Hennessy Ultralite Explorer Classic Hammock for christmas.

I find the original suspension with the figure-8 lashing works OK, but I would like to try something that is more adjustable. Hammock camping seems to be all about trying new solutions for the fun of it. I would like a suspension that is light, takes little space and preferably does not interfere with the included Asym-tarp (Even though I am considering a separate ridgeline and a bigger tarp.). I should also mention that I will probably always use an Underquilt.

What system would you suggest?
    Descender rings on tree-hugger?, Whoopieslings (I already bought one and can make some more from Amsteel)? Marlinspike hitch?
    Cinch-buckle and tree-straps seem a bit on the heavy side, even though I really like the simplicity of it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Whoopie Hooks! Checkout Dutchwaregear.com and he will take care of you.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

I also have a HH exp zip i tried descender rings they work ok but eventually added woopie slings. I now have a BB XLC with straps and i really like the system because it doesn't increase the minimum anchor point distance that woopie slings do. I like the weight savings of woopies. Descender rings work but you need a slippery half hitch as a back up and it can bind. You can also use a carabiner with a slippery larks head knot kinda slick and cheap. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by hanginyaker View Post
    I also have a HH exp zip i tried descender rings they work ok but eventually added woopie slings. I now have a BB XLC with straps and i really like the system because it doesn't increase the minimum anchor point distance that woopie slings do. I like the weight savings of woopies. Descender rings work but you need a slippery half hitch as a back up and it can bind. You can also use a carabiner with a slippery larks head knot kinda slick and cheap. Hope this helps.
    Thanks! How do you mean the whoopies increase the minimum anchor distance? Is it because they can never be shorter than the bury?

I also like the idea of the Slippery Larks head, however I don't really see how I can tie it easily after re-adjustment. There is probably I trick there I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Tipton View Post
    Whoopie Hooks! Checkout Dutchwaregear.com and he will take care of you.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, those whoopie-hooks look really nice. I wonder if this system is really compatible with attaching the tarp to the suspension line though.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kephart View Post
    Thanks!
    Yeah, those whoopie-hooks look really nice. I wonder if this system is really compatible with attaching the tarp to the suspension line though.
    I never had good luck with attaching the tarp to the suspension line. Once I changed my tarp to use a continuous ridge line made from some lash-it, dutch hook, and tarp flyz, and tarp tensioners on the tie outs, things got much better. No more saggy tarp for me.

Hammock
    Simply Light 2L
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic T
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear T/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    I've been using the descender rings system for a while on my Hennessy (Tree hugger -- Carabiner -- Descender rings) and have been really pleased with it so far, in terms of adjust-ability and ease of setup, compared to tying knots.

Its a good and cheap way to improve the stock suspension with the tarp attached to it, but it doesn't make it lighter at all (actually heavier).
    I also tried this method with two carabiners instead of rings, work decently with some care of placement.

Now that I'm planning to change my whole hammock system, I'll go with whoopies and hooks.
    To answer you on the compatibility of whoopies and tarp-on-suspension, I'd say it could work. With prussiks & mitten hooks on the whoopies similar to those on the stock suspension, you'd just have to make sure the trees are spaced enough to allow a good placement of the prussiks!

Quote Originally Posted by kephart View Post
    Thanks! How do you mean the whoopies increase the minimum anchor distance? Is it because they can never be shorter than the bury?

I also like the idea of the Slippery Larks head, however I don't really see how I can tie it easily after re-adjustment. There is probably I trick there I don't know.
    Yes the length of the bury is your limit between trees and it can be an issue. The woopie suspension is nice and light and compact tho. You can try descender rings first they don't cost much and it makes it a lot easier to adjust. I still like the strap suspension for its simplicity one strap around the tree and on the buckle. No separate tree straps no toggles clean, neat and reliable. In the end its up to you experimenting for me is half the fun. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    On my Hennessy I removed the stock suspension and added whoopies. On my wifes and sons I tied a knot in the suspension right above the hammock, and attached whoopies to that. Both work quite well.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've got continuous 8" Amsteel loops at both ends with rappel rings. Then I attached the stock cordage to the tree huggers, wrap around tree and run the cord through the other sewn end. Works great on my HH Explorer Deluxe zip. Same with my son's HH Cub. The tarp has its own line at either end that I use the small aluminum figure 9s on. Then a section of bungee cord first with stock cord atached to that for the tie outs on the corners. All in all it works pretty darn good. Will be updating with some Dutch bling soon though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast