Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    I'd be curious to the weight and insulation properties too.

I'd also be curious about how various critters might react to it? Would it scare away various animals? Cause a bear to aggress? Be a flea and tick magnet?

willin'

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    While I hope this works for you, I think it's gonna STINK! I would not bother, but please do report back on the results.
    I’m intrigued, as well, since I have a large dog that produces a TON of fluff, but - like Otter1 - the only thing I can think of is the smell of wet dog. Or dry dog, for that matter. It appeals to the economical and reusable side of me (maybe that didn’t come out quite right), but I’ll personally continue to buy the down and let the birds use the fur. Definitely curious to know how it goes, though!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Similar, yes, but... I’d consider Alpaca wool to be MUCH more common for clothing and insulation purposes, with the added benefit of not smelling like wet dog (for the record, I’ve never smelled wet Alpaca, but I HAVE encountered wet dog on plenty of occasions). It also seems that the fiber structure is quite different.

One question that keeps creeping up in my mind is whether or not dog fur (for those who’d be willing to use it) would eventually mat up inside the shell of whatever it’s stuffed into. I’d imagine that you’d eventually have a clumpy, smelly quilt. I could be wrong.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Had to post this. That eye!! LOL!! Everything is fine as long as I don't make eye contact.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    One question that keeps creeping up in my mind is whether or not dog fur (for those who’d be willing to use it) would eventually mat up inside the shell of whatever it’s stuffed into. I’d imagine that you’d eventually have a clumpy, smelly quilt. I could be wrong.
    Good question. Dog hair can definitely become matted - we have had to cut mats out of dogs’ hair. However alpaca fiber and wool are more easily matted (technically it is called ‘felted’) than dog hair. Those fibers can be felted just by slightly agitating them in a wash basin or by allowing water from the faucet to run directly on them. On the other hand, hair from our Australian Shepherd would go through the washer and dryer without ever felting.

Based on my experience, I would say that dog hair would be less prone to felting in a quilt than wool or alpaca fibers would be.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Had to post this. That eye!! LOL!! Everything is fine as long as I don't make eye contact.

Lol! I’ve got a 1/2 Black and Tan hound dog/1/2 golden retriever who does the same thing. “Did you eat the cat food???” He’ll look so GUILTY!

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    Good question. Dog hair can definitely become matted - we have had to cut mats out of dogs’ hair. However alpaca fiber and wool are more easily matted (technically it is called ‘felted’) than dog hair. Those fibers can be felted just by slightly agitating them in a wash basin or by allowing water from the faucet to run directly on them. On the other hand, hair from our Australian Shepherd would go through the washer and dryer without ever felting.

Based on my experience, I would say that dog hair would be less prone to felting in a quilt than wool or alpaca fibers would be.
    That’s pretty neat. I didn’t really think of it in a “felting” aspect. But it makes sense. I just thought about the mats we’ve had to cut from our dog a couple of times, when he hadn’t been brushed recently, and it made me wonder.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    They probably used to do things like this years ago, living off the land, before down was readily available. I mean, it'll stink like a dog when it gets wet, but it's cheap, readily available, possibly warm enough...what's not to love?

....I don't know why but it reminded me of this Calvin & Hobbes: https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2015/08/25/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12