Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Caconym View Post
    I'm getting back into overnight hiking after a number of years of just doing day walks. Took an overnighter last week just do do a bit of a shakedown of my gear, and discovered that my channel suspended UQ wasn't as snug as I'd like it (you're in this thread so you know what I'm talking about).
    Today I've got the day to myself to dial in/sew/adapt my gear, and tried to get the UQ snug to no avail. So I pulled out the channel suspension and did a quick-and-dirty clew setup. I only had enough 1.6mm shock cord lying around for six nettles at each end, but that seems to have been sufficient for my lightweight down ¾ UQ.
    The issue I had, however, is being able to shift the UQ up and down the length of the hammock so it just snugs around my shoulders. Not such a problem with full length UQs, I would imagine.
    I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this, but I thought I'd share my solution anyway:

That looks like a simple but great mod,

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Cheers. I've since made some minor hardware additions to allow me to leave the "adjuster cord" in place and clip the UQ to it when setting up camp. I also ran the cord through the ends of the gathered end so it will be inside the overcover/bugnet.
    All of this is temporary, trying to whip things into a serviceable condition for a 4-day a want to do soon. But I've been smashing it out today; also sewed up a peak shelf out of noseeum and sewed a panel of nice cotton to the inside of my clothing stuff sack so I can invert it and use it as a pillow.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    I like the stuff sack pillow idea, I always find a pullover or coat moves about and regular stuff sacks are sweaty, thanks for the tip

Sent from my BAH2-W19 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Unless someone else before me has mentioned, this concept was created with the Speer Snugfit https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...it-Underquilts

Unfortunately he no longer makes these but they definitely are the cream of the crop of Underquilts

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Leiavoia, who in that thread you linked said she was working on a DIY successor, is this thread's OP.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    OG Blackbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jsemroc View Post
    When packing and unpacking my GEMINI UQ I had quite a time with tangled clews.

Here's my quick-n-dirty no-sew solution. I cut the handles off a 99¢ reusable tote bag and threaded the clews through the handles.

Presto, no more tangles!

Attachment 166110 Attachment 166107 Attachment 166108 Attachment 166109
    Are there any other solutions for managing the clew? I currently twist mine up and put them in a loose overhand knot, but I'm worried I'm going to struggle to get a clean deployment one of these days. Some sort of sleeve like jsemroc posted may be my solution, just curious if there are any other methods / materials / etc.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'm getting back into overnight hiking after a number of years of just doing day walks. Took an overnighter last week just to do a bit of a shakedown of my gear, and discovered that my channel suspended UQ wasn't as snug as I'd like it (you're in this thread so you know what I'm talking about).
    Today I've got the day to myself to dial in/sew/adapt my gear, and tried to get the UQ snug to no avail. So I pulled out the channel suspension and did a quick-and-dirty clew setup. I only had enough 1.6mm shock cord lying around for six nettles at each end, but that seems to have been sufficient for my lightweight down ¾ UQ.
    The issue I had, however, is being able to shift the UQ up and down the length of the hammock so it just snugs around my shoulders. Not such a problem with full length UQs, I would imagine.
    I'm sure I'm not the first to come up with this, but I thought I'd share my solution anyway:

That looked slick! I keep thinking about trying a clew suspension with my 3/4 length UQ. I know some people say it doesn’t work well for short quilts, but I’m hard headed, I guess.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    All I have to say to that is that the clew suspension works a hell of a lot better on my ¾ than the channel suspension ever did.

Also, thanks to this thread I have Kam snaps on the way. My days of painstakingly hand-sewing snaps or terrifyingly thread-injecting them with no foot are over!
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    All I have to say to that is that the clew suspension works a hell of a lot better on my ¾ than the channel suspension ever did.

Also, thanks to this thread I have Kam snaps on the way. My days of painstakingly hand-sewing snaps or terrifyingly thread-injecting them with no foot are over!
    That’s good to know! Tarp lines and UQ’s are the two things I can’t stop tweaking.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
    Are there any other solutions for managing the clew? I currently twist mine up and put them in a loose overhand knot, but I'm worried I'm going to struggle to get a clean deployment one of these days. Some sort of sleeve like jsemroc posted may be my solution, just curious if there are any other methods / materials / etc.
    I took 2 old hair bands and wrapped those around the clews where they join to a split ring. When I need to pack up, I slide one hair band coil down to the base of the UQ, which binds all the clews together. I then slide the 2nd half way down. This seems to keep all the little shock cords from getting tangled.

• + New Posts
  • Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 LastLast