Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    See, THAT’S what I was going for... I like going netless - both times - but, you know...spiders. Here in the sticks, I only have around a month of good conditions. So I guess I decided that integrated was right for me.

I liked the idea of bottom entry, especially for flying things, but I’ve seen firsthand - and recently - how crafty those creeping things can be....I hate being arachnophobic. I’m hanging my head in shame.

But that’s awesome, seriously! I hate that I can’t easily adjust my UQ anymore.
    just a side note: shame is not warranted here, arachnophobia seems to be sort of in our genes (at least it's very easy to awaken it and make it a life long phobia, typically happens in childhood). but know that there are ways to handle it with patience and care, you don't _have_ to live with it (definitely not through forced exposure though, so yes make sure your bugnets are tested and approved before use, etc). i do appreciate your statement that you hate arachnophobia, not the spiders (i know how hard it is to make the differentiation, so respect); when i hear of people killing all buglife on a half mile radius so they can have a picnic, because they saw a spider, it makes me want to cry.

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    just a side note: shame is not warranted here, arachnophobia seems to be sort of in our genes (at least it's very easy to awaken it and make it a life long phobia, typically happens in childhood). but know that there are ways to handle it with patience and care, you don't _have_ to live with it (definitely not through forced exposure though, so yes make sure your bugnets are tested and approved before use, etc). i do appreciate your statement that you hate arachnophobia, not the spiders (i know how hard it is to make the differentiation, so respect); when i hear of people killing all buglife on a half mile radius so they can have a picnic, because they saw a spider, it makes me want to cry.
    Thank you. I understand exactly what you mean. I don’t hate the spiders, just that I’m so afraid of them. I’ve gotten to where I don’t flip out anymore when I walk through a web, but if they’re everywhere, it definitely slows my pace to a crawl on trail. I don’t know what caused it, but I would like to fix it - makes it really hard to do what I love doing! In the meantime, I just keep my distance and give myself a spider-free zone when I’m asleep.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Well stated, both AmberG and nanok.

But I admit that I sometimes complain about and ponder the natural niche and 'utility' of certain creatures such as ticks and black flies. It's hard to remain circumspect when they've taken up residence in your nether regions or they're chomping on your neck.

Good nets—and repellents—make good neighbors.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmberG View Post
    Lol and he'll also need an industrial freezer!

I'm trying it out tomorrow night fer reelz... but it's still a bit cool so I don't anticipate a big onslaught of crawling or flying pests.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Lol and he'll also need an industrial freezer!

I'm trying it out tomorrow night fer reelz... but it's still a bit cool so I don't anticipate a big onslaught of crawling or flying pests.
    You’ll have to let us know how it goes! Have fun!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    First time at an actual campsite and it worked out well enough. It was threatening rain when setting up camp, which added a little dose of urgency and made it much more realistic. I need to do it a few more times to nail down the deployment sequence and to develop the muscle memory to do it quickly.

However, there were some swarming gnats and a few mosquitoes and some other kind of flying critters that would fly full speed straight into the net, bounce off and repeat (slow learners, apparently) and it kept them all out. Also very glad I had my head net when I wasn't in the hammock.

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    Glad to hear this worked out for you. I'll get to use it overnight for the first time on a "weekend" trip tomorrow on the Allegheny Front Trail.

I've got it pre-deployed over my netless in my double-ended stuff sack - this seems like the easiest way to keep it from dragging about on the ground during setup. Just gonna slide it off to a side via the large opening after dialing in my hang to get my underquilt on and then slide it back over (or at least that's what seems best so far based on tinkering in my yard).

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbm9000 View Post
    Glad to hear this worked out for you. I'll get to use it overnight for the first time on a "weekend" trip tomorrow on the Allegheny Front Trail.

I've got it pre-deployed over my netless in my double-ended stuff sack - this seems like the easiest way to keep it from dragging about on the ground during setup. Just gonna slide it off to a side via the large opening after dialing in my hang to get my underquilt on and then slide it back over (or at least that's what seems best so far based on tinkering in my yard).
    Good idea.... gets me thinking about how manage the fixed (foot) end slot so that's it's semi-permanent with the CL sticking out for easy access, yet also permit easy attachment of the UQ's S-biner. Hmm...

Looking at the angles in Post #12 above, it seems to me that the net is designed specifically for the fixed end to be positioned at the foot. Going to have to work with that.

Have fun on the AFT! I did it a few years back with some friends and it's a lot of fun and variety. Except for that one stretch that looks like it was nuked!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Another point that occurred to me (which I'm sure has been mentioned elsewhere before) is that when the bugs are thick and heavy the bottom-entry style might keep more of them out while entering/exiting the hammock vs integrated net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast