Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images

How do you sleep in your hammock on your back or side

How do you lay in your hammock on your back on your side I got my brother and his son into Hammock Camping several years ago and they lay in the hammock like a banana and to me that's not comfortable I pretty much sometimes have to lay on my side if I'm in the War Bonnet hammock I can sleep on my side pretty comfortable
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/UGQ TQ 20°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Mostly on my back, but i can curl up a bit on my side sometimes, too. i’m in a gathered-end wide.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Always start on my back then roll to my right side, then back and forth left to right the rest of the night.

I'm short. I can manage this at home in my 10.5' Freebird and in the woods with my 10' Asym Sheltowee Whisper. My lay is head left feet right. On my right side i do a bit of a curl with both legs. When on my left side, left leg straight, right in a lazy figure 4.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Yeah it depends on what kind of hammock I'm sleeping in if it's a wild hammock I can usually sleep on my side sometimes I've even slept on my back it just depends on the hammock I'm in
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Quote Originally Posted by mistone View Post
    How do you lay in your hammock on your back on your side I got my brother and his son into Hammock Camping several years(there were hunting before so had some stuff already like sitka gear, tents, etc) ago and they lay in the hammock like a banana and to me that's not comfortable I pretty much sometimes have to lay on my side if I'm in the War Bonnet hammock I can sleep on my side pretty comfortable
    Mostly on my side. Never found sleeping on the back particularly comfortable to be honest.
    Last edited by SamRei; 01-19-2023 at 01:53.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Mostly side. Some back.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    In a GE, I'm on my back during most of the sleep interval but by morning I'm so relaxed I can fetal up on my side. I don't use any pillow when on my back because my head is supported enough by the hammock and a pillow would tilt my head to much. I might have a small camp pillow under a knee and by morning I could switch it to my head of I were to scrunch up on my side.

In the Bridge hammock I have my choice and usually start out on my back. But it is really easy to roll on my side, a bit off of the center line so I'm cradled by the edge of the bridge. I may keep that camp pillow nearer the head end as I'd use it if I were on my side and it's easier to get there in a bridge.

Two errors people who just think about hammocks make is believing they have to sleep in the same position (or the same tossing and turning) as they do when in a bed. But a bed creates pressure point that encourage the motion. In a hammock you are suspended much more gently.

It's like doing a free assent after taking a SCUBA breath of air from 50 ft underwater. All your experience says you'll need to breath along the way. But when you start swimming to the surface, you'll realize the air expands in your lungs as you go up so you can exhale all the way up. It's really weird. Like a bed/side sleeper experiencing they can sleep soundly on their back in a hammock.

As for the banana "think" - we all know that's false. You just have to have enough sag in your setup and turn a bit diagonal to level right out.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-18-2023 at 13:13.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It's like doing a free assent after taking a SCUBA breath of air from 50 ft underwater. All your experience says you'll need to breath along the way. But when you do it, you'll realize the air expands in your lungs as you go up so you can exhale all the way up. It's really weird. Like a bed/side sleeper experiencing they can sleep soundly on their back in a hammock.
    As a master scuba diver, I am THRILLED by this analogy and even more excited that it makes such a good point about how our autonomous nervous system works for both breathing and sleeping: "It's so natural, we don't even 'think' about it." For the longest time, I tried and tried different methods of side sleeping in my GE hammocks because that's what I do in a bed, but once I convinced my brain that I didn't need to do that, I quickly became a back sleeper in a GE hammock, which I didn't think possible. Like you, I tend to migrate to side sleeping in a bridge hammock. If I ever win the lottery, I'd commission a sleep study on this exact topic. [I take that back; I'd probably just buy a dive shop if I win the lottery.]
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I'm a 100% committed side-sleeper due to my sleep apnea and found out that a bridge hammock works best for me in my opinion. If I try to sleep on my back I choke & gag all night from stopping breathing. I use Just Bill's Towns End Big Guy Bridge Hammock and just bought a 2nd one I like them so much.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    I sleep side/stomach at home and mostly back in the hammock, although some nights I end up side sleeping all night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast