Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mosquitoes

I've camped on many hot mosquito filled nights, I had read that mosquitoes don't byte through double layer hammocks but wasn't sure if i trusted it. On a canoe trip several years ago I set up camp near a marsh on a brutally hot and humid night, the air was thick with clouds of angry mosquitoes that made the woods hum loudly all night long.
    It was so hot i moved my under-quilt to the side and slept in only underwear, nothing but the 2 layers of my warbonnet XLC hammock between my back and millions of hungry mosquitoes. The next morning I didn't have a single byte on my back and I now sleep just fine even when I hear them buzzing right behind my head all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigshift View Post
    I've camped on many hot mosquito filled nights, I had read that mosquitoes don't byte through double layer hammocks but wasn't sure if i trusted it. On a canoe trip several years ago I set up camp near a marsh on a brutally hot and humid night, the air was thick with clouds of angry mosquitoes that made the woods hum loudly all night long.
    It was so hot i moved my under-quilt to the side and slept in only underwear, nothing but the 2 layers of my warbonnet XLC hammock between my back and millions of hungry mosquitoes. The next morning I didn't have a single byte on my back and I now sleep just fine even when I hear them buzzing right behind my head all night.
    I'm with you. I think a double layer is ALMOST always adequate. I think the occasional "lucky" mosquito can get through, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to worry about it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I hang in my back yard daily with a netless hammock, no UQ. I soaked the thing in permethrin (using the clothing-specific kind, not petroleum-based) and haven't been bitten yet. Granted, I also had Mosquito Joe come out and spray the property, so that may also have something to do with it.
    If Mosquito Joe came out and sprayed your property with permethrin, then it's a mosquito no-fly zone for at least three weeks. Since I have a vegetable garden, I can't do that. I tried spraying my property with permethrin once, and not a single insect would come to pollinate my garden.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If Mosquito Joe came out and sprayed your property with permethrin, then it's a mosquito no-fly zone for at least three weeks. Since I have a vegetable garden, I can't do that. I tried spraying my property with permethrin once, and not a single insect would come to pollinate my garden.
    I wondered just how indiscriminate their application would be. What is fascinating to me is how many dragonflies I see flying around my back yard. Every day there are 5-10 of them flying around. Wish I knew more about what bugs are affected by permethrin. As long as skeeters and ticks are gone, that’s all I really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wondered just how indiscriminate their application would be. What is fascinating to me is how many dragonflies I see flying around my back yard. Every day there are 5-10 of them flying around. Wish I knew more about what bugs are affected by permethrin. As long as skeeters and ticks are gone, that’s all I really need.
    Permethrin kills every insect, to my knowledge. In wet form it will also kill cats and fish. So I think it's great for camping and hiking, but I ain't gonna spray it in my yard.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Permethrin kills every insect, to my knowledge.
    I'm glad we're having this discussion, because I didn't realize the synthetic pyrethroid chemicals they use also kill bees. Last time I'll do that!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Hammock camped for many PA Summers, here's my experience with keeping unbitten in a hammock:

Using a Single layer, untreated hammock: I got bit LOTS, would rather sleep in the car.
    Using the Permethrin for clothes on a single layer hammock: 100% effective, also seem to kill skeeters that get inside the bugnet ( I have cats, so I sprayed & dried it thoroughly, hung up outside the house)
    Using a double layer hammock: Also 100% effective. but don't leave a hand or an arm on the bugnet
    Using an underquilt: 100% effective, but often not viable on warm/hot nights.
    Using an underquilt protector: 100% effective, but it blocks wind you may need for cooling.
    Using A light fleece blanket from walmart under me: Works pretty well.

Is Smidge available in the States? https://www.smidgeup.com/ Active ingredient is Picaridin/Saltidin. Doesn't contain Deet so won't damage synthetic materials. Works against the Scottish midge but I don't personally have experience of using it against mosquitos. I've only used it on my skin but not on materials so don't know how effective it would be in that case.
    Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry - Viking proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-W View Post
    Is Smidge available in the States?
    Picardin products are certainly available in the US - one example comes from Sawyer products, the same company that makes the Permethrin spray-on-clothing product that many backpackers use.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc.../dp/B07BSBBVZW
    Iceman857

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Yeah, it's kinda like setting off a thermonuclear bomb for all insects in your yard.
    Now just spray some round up for the weeds and you can wipe out all the amphibians and fish,,

I'm glad we're having this discussion, because I didn't realize the synthetic pyrethroid chemicals they use also kill bees. Last time I'll do that!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast