Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Need2noCallahan, When I get in the Wookie (also 10 ° and original BB), I sometimes have to tug on the left side a little. It seems getting in/out of the hammock can shift the UQ over just enough to allow that chill. The "custom fit" is a plus and a minus. The Plus is, lighter weight/bulk as the down is just where you need it for the diagonal lie. The Negative is if it shifts as you get in/out it's easier (than a standard UQ) to create a cold spot. If the Wookie is in the right place to begin with, I haven't experienced it moving while I'm in the hammock. I think what happens is getting in/out can sometimes that action pushes the UQ a little to the right. I don't notice it at first, but as things warm up, that cold area by the left shoulder is noticed. Again, just a tug on the UQ to pull it over to the left seems to rectify the situation.

I suppose, now that I know what's happening, I can make sure the UQ is "centered" and grabbing the edge of the hammock and UQ as I get in - or giving it a tug/shift after I get in - I can make sure it's in the right spot. For me, this borders on the edge of design problem vs user error. That said, I'm liking the Wookie so much (thanks to cmoulder's fabric suggestions), that I'm thinking of getting another (for either mid-summer or deep winter). I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to a BlackBird owner, but I'd remind them to make sure the hammock body is centered in the UQ before they get in - or to tug that left side over just a bit after they get in.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-04-2022 at 12:15.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Need2noCallahan, When I get in the Wookie (also 10 ° and original BB), I sometimes have to tug on the left side a little. It seems getting in/out of the hammock can shift the UQ over just enough to allow that chill. The "custom fit" is a plus and a minus. The Plus is, lighter weight/bulk as the down is just where you need it for the diagonal lie. The Negative is if it shifts as you get in/out it's easier (than a standard UQ) to create a cold spot. If the Wookie is in the right place to begin with, I haven't experienced it moving while I'm in the hammock. I think what happens is getting in/out can sometimes that action push the UQ a little to the right. I don't notice it at first, but as things warm up, that cold area by the left shoulder is noticed. Again, just a tug on the UQ to pull it over to the left seems to rectify the situation.

I suppose, now that I know what's happening, I can make sure the UQ is "centered" and grabbing the edge of the hammock and UQ as I get in - or giving it a tug/shift after I get in - I can make sure it's in the right spot. For me, this borders on the edge of design problem vs user error. That said, I'm liking the Wookie so much (thanks to cmoulder's fabric suggestions), that I'm thinking of getting another (for either mid-summer or deep winter). I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to a BlackBird owner, but I'd remind them to make sure the hammock body is centered in the UQ before they get in - or to tug that left side over just a bit after they get in.
    Good point cougarmeat, I have also noticed that it is a little difficult to position the Wookie while in hammock. I'll try positioning the uq when getting in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Need2noCallahan View Post
    Good point cougarmeat, I have also noticed that it is a little difficult to position the Wookie while in hammock. I'll try positioning the uq when getting in.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am very familiar with the shoulder tuck (as I think some have called it). I will wake up on occasion with a cold left shoulder and reach out and pull the quilt up on the outside of the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Dutchware 9.5" DCF
    Insulation
    Wookie 20 or 0
    Suspension
    Straps :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
    I would add one note about adding one own shock cord or other hardware changes.

I always found the tiny carabiner on the foot end kind of weird. But on a recent rip I managed to try to climb only into the UQ and missed the hammock itself when I got up in the middle of the night. Or actually I did climb into the UQ. And it dropped me on the ground. I had though at first my suspension had failed but it was the little carabiner that broke. I was able to just loop the rubber band over the whip and went back to sleep. But that little carabiner from what I can tell is a pre designed failure point. I would not change it as had it not failed it would have damaged something that would be harder to fix. I have since replaced it with another fairly weak carabiner.

from what I can tell, everything in that hammock set up XLC/Wooki is there for a purpose and I would not mess with it.
    Did the same thing, but in my case the little loop broke, not the wee carabiner, and my thought was "that was designed to fail when StupidUser sits in the **** UQ by mistake at 3AM" had time to think on this in the cold cold dark while working a fid made from a stick back through the channel to rehang the UQ. Either way, not a torn UQ and a pile of down blowing in the wind....

The Wookie is Genius.
    //
    “Stories set in the Culture in which Things Went Wrong tended to start with humans losing or forgetting or deliberately leaving behind their terminal. It was a conventional opening, the equivalent of straying off the path in the wild woods in one age, or a car breaking down at night on a lonely road in another.”
    ― Iain M. Banks, The Player of Games

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    This is how I used to make my "Wooki style" under quilts to accommodate the issue with loose fabric
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fimbul View Post
    This is how I used to make my "Wooki style" under quilts to accommodate the issue with loose fabric
    Brilliant!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Fimbul View Post
    I want to do something like this with my wooki.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    This thread jinxed me. It was dipping down in the upper 20's here last night, and I am still learning - so I thought I would do a colder test run (20*wooki). Everything was great, but I got the cold shoulder for the first time. I will tinker with it more this afternoon.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I found the Twister underquilt very interesting. I cannot seem to find them for sale anywhere, so now I'm wondering how difficult it would be to modify a stock Wooki.
    I currently use a Trail Winder underquilt and I added four D-rings to my XLC (two near head, two near feet) and hooks on the underquilt to keep it from shifting around on me since I can flop around sometimes when sleeping. I've got a little over a week's worth of nights in it like this and have not had any issues with it shifting around so far. The coldest night I did was 31*F and I slept in jeans and a t-shirt so I would have noticed if it slipped off my anywhere.

Hammock
    WBBXL
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Yeti/Diamond
    Suspension
    whoopies/buckles
    Images
    If you can't scoot your strap high enough on the tree, you might be hanging on trees that are too far apart. If you hang on trees that are a little closer together, the attachment points can be lower, so you don't have to stretch so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast