Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=LowTech;2082661]
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Thanks, I am aware of that but it would keep me using the pieces that came on the tarp (I'll have to look and see if I can find the name for them). I'd rather upgrade to Beasty D's and then I would need the new end tips anyway.
    They are on my list of hammock/ kayak/ bikepacking hardware that needs upgrading.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    You could add the shock cord now and the pole tips later...

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters
    Tarp
    Madera Outdoors
    Insulation
    Jack R Better
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Nothing wrong with your solution, and if you're car camping or hiking a short distance into the woods it really doesn't matter much what you use since weight and volume aren't a concern. And you could even use small tree limbs for the same job if those are handy.
    If you're a backpacker who uses trekking poles, they also make perfectly good external poles for your application.
    In this pic, you'll also notice that I use a one-piece ridgeline with the tarp suspended beneath it, which 1) keeps the poles from rubbing on the tarp and 2) gives a bit more room to lift the side panels of the tarp. I use 2.5mm bungee cord to attach tarp panels to the poles.
    Thank you so much for that detailed picture. I had thought of this same idea, but was nervous to attempt it and risk damaging my new Onewind tarp. I have some extra cordage at home to use for this, so I will be trying it out this weekend. Just for confirmation, is that elastic cordage or something like Zing-it / Dyneema / Amsteel?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aplusdesigners View Post
    Thank you so much for that detailed picture. I had thought of this same idea, but was nervous to attempt it and risk damaging my new Onewind tarp. I have some extra cordage at home to use for this, so I will be trying it out this weekend. Just for confirmation, is that elastic cordage or something like Zing-it / Dyneema / Amsteel?
    Yes, it is 2.5mm shock cord. Any 3/32" or 1/8" shock cord should work. For initial adjustments, use a 3-wrap grip hitch which is a superb knot for adjusting bungee material.

I've never had these poles come out. One note, however... with high wind, the upwind side can still rotate inward quite a bit, so it doesn't work quite as well as pulling outward to an external anchor. But when things are a bit calmer it reduces the tripping hazard and a bit of annoyance navigating around those tripwires.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters
    Tarp
    Madera Outdoors
    Insulation
    Jack R Better
    Suspension
    Myers Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    One note, however... with high wind, the upwind side can still rotate inward quite a bit, so it doesn't work quite as well as pulling outward to an external anchor. But when things are a bit calmer it reduces the tripping hazard and a bit of annoyance navigating around those tripwires.
    Thanks for the tip cmoulder.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12