Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have the stock tarp and the hex. I prefer the stock tarp in most cases. I've had it out in several rains and never had a problem. The stock tarp takes less pack space and is easier to stow.

The hex gives more coverage and more ground space, but with my Ultralight it also increases the minimum distance feasible between trees to get a taut setup and cuts visibility from under the edge of the hammock and breezes to some extent. If I expect a lot of rain I sometimes take it. I used it on the AT last year in Georgia, but ended up wishing I had taken the stock tarp.

For the most part, the AT has shelters spaced so that you could use them if the weather were really horrible. Of course, given Murphy's Law, you may find yourself miles from a shelter when the storm hits...

HH tarp

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    I'm probably one of the minority of hangers who prefer the stock HH tarps.

I have the original tarp that came with my HH ULBA, and it works just fine. I've survived some pretty intense Louisiana downpours, with some kick-V$$ winds, and was high and dry. And I was here during SGT Rock's hurricane, though not camped out in it. His story is what sold me on the HH. Someone offered me another "Stock" tarp cheap, so I bought it. Turns out it's about a foot longer than my original "stock" fly, and just about the same width. I'm pleased as can be with it. Coverage is WAY more than adequate now. So before you say "it's too small", try it. Learn how to use it. Set it up in your backyard. Sleep out in the rain. Learn to adjust the sides and slide it back and forth on the support ropes like it's designed to do. It's about 1/3 the weight of my 8 x 10 tarp (7 oz vs 20 oz). I prefer it for solo trips. (And please don't knock Tom Hennessy. He runs a great company.)

I'am not knocking "Tom Hennessy" I'am knocking the stock tarp that comes with the HH Ul explorer " It sucks"...... And I have read the similar complaints here and other places. I've been using hammocks for long time. but when I set up the hammock with the stock tarp it will cover the hammock untill I get in it,, in which there are few inches of hammock that will not be covered or if some wind comes there are more than a few inches that will not be coverd. I thought about it and I should have taken pictures. I actually think there maybe some manufacturing defect with the size of the tarp because it was just frikkin impossible.

PS I build houses for a living If I could'nt put a hammock together inbetween two trees,, I'd kill myself and take Tom HH with me....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhiker2 View Post

...I've been using hammocks for long time. but when I set up the hammock with the stock tarp it will cover the hammock untill I get in it,, in which there are few inches of hammock that will not be covered or if some wind comes there are more than a few inches that will not be coverd.
    Are you using the tie-outs attached to the Hennessey for the tarp or tying the tarp seperate to the tree?

This may be a part of the problem. I too have the Explorer and while I upgraded to the MacCat Standard tarp, I also learned from mistakes and comments from others on various forums about this and other concerns of the hanging life. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination in this field. However I have been doing a lot of experimenting so that when I go on my thru this year I will be ready for almost all contingencies.

Next time you get a chance to try it, if you have not already, tie up your hammock and then tie the tarp to the trees a few inches below the huggers/ridgeline. I personally noticed that there is about a six inch sag for me (I'm 6'3" and a little north of 250 lbs.) when I get in so I try and set the tarp lines 6 - 8 inches below the huggers. This in general keeps the ridgelines of the hammock and the tarp close or in contact with each other and other than raining sideways or as I have seen it in Denver, raining up, it should protect you providing you adjust your wings to the proper pitch for the conditions (tips high for ventilation or low for heat retention/windblockage).

Experiment a little!

If you still don't like the arrangement then toss the idea and get or make your own tarp. 6 yards of rip-stop, DWR or sil-nylon are relatively cheap compared to paying for someone else's labor to get what you want exactly. Don't sew? Well neither have a lot of us on here before now. It's simple stuff once you get the hang of it.

TOG

I agree with everyone, and have tried every suggestion. Theres something really wrong with this tarp though. Maybe it is me. I highly doubt it. I have sent the stock tarp back to HH and they will be exchanging it for the Hex style. As for sewing my own we'll I could, but I would rather just buy it. When this new tarp gets here I'll repost.. Hopefully with a story of sucess.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One thing that often gets folks unfamiliar with Tom's hammocks - the tarp is Asym, too. So if it's on upside down, it looks like it fits except for a few inches near the hammock's asym tie-outs that are left uncovered. Flip it over on the long axis and it'll cover those up adequately.

But of course everyone makes mistakes...maybe it was a tarp defect. I had a few missed stitches on the trim on my stock tarp, but a few hand stitches took care of it. But now I carry the JRB or MacCat b/c I like the extra space.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    One thing that often gets folks unfamiliar with Tom's hammocks - the tarp is Asym, too. So if it's on upside down, it looks like it fits except for a few inches near the hammock's asym tie-outs that are left uncovered. Flip it over on the long axis and it'll cover those up adequately.
    I made this mistake when I started using my stock tarp. The way I think about it know is that the tarp tie outs need to line up with the side tie-outs on the hammock. I would also get in the hammock, lay there for a few moments, and get out and readjust everything. This helped to counter act the stretch that happens in newer hammocks.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

I also think that regardless if I got the Tarp to work, ( weather it was me or the tarp >> LOL Probally both) I definitely need more tarp than that,, and some more space would be nice.... So here comes the Hex...
    Thanks for everyones advice....

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can't argue with that. I like the extra space just for peace of mind sometimes - I don't have to look for the perfect site b/c my bigger tarp can compensate for a more exposed location, for example. Plus I know I can stand up and get dressed when it's raining, unlike ground dwellers who are doing the hokey-pokey on the ground to put on their pants.

Enjoy your new tarp!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    One thing that often gets folks unfamiliar with Tom's hammocks - the tarp is Asym, too. So if it's on upside down,
    I found that out one night in the rain. Now I make sure.

If you know you might have rain then you don't tie out the sides. Draw the tarp tie outs straight down or even overlapped under you. I've been in the pouring rain several times without getting wet. You have to work a little harder but its worth the good nights sleep in my hammock.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    just an odd curiosity - are the HH hex tarps made by HH or are they made by a third party elsewhere?
    I bought my HH with an aftermarket tarp (hex - made in china label included..) and was wondering if it was the same.
    it is PU coated poly, very large (don't know the exact specs) and if i can figure it out i will include a pic

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast