Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Well, to each their own. I certainly find a wider hammock more comfy, but regarding those higher sides, I do REQUIRE a knotty mod to tame them. Of note, I had Jared make my Streamliner wider because the std width was clearly not working for me, and the cat cuts of the Streamliner negate the high wall effect of going wider.
    I recently bought a wide Streamliner and wish I hadn't. I love wide hammocks and never mind "floppy" fabric - it only hangs unused at the sides, until I want to use it, e.g. as an arm rest. With the Streamliner, the sides come up high above my head. It feels like lying in a net trap. I can't even go as diagonal as in a standard-width hammock.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    After years in regular width hammocks, my latest is a wide Chameleon for one reason: so the floppier fabric reduces pressure on my outside foot. I agree that the lay is no flatter, but the increased angle allowed in a wide hammock changes slightly where the sidewall presses on my foot, and that adds significant comfort for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I recently bought a wide Streamliner and wish I hadn't. I love wide hammocks and never mind "floppy" fabric - it only hangs unused at the sides, until I want to use it, e.g. as an arm rest. With the Streamliner, the sides come up high above my head. It feels like lying in a net trap. I can't even go as diagonal as in a standard-width hammock.
    That's seems to be my initial impression too with my Streamliner, but I need to spend more time in it to be sure.

At any rate, I can see the added comfort factor in a wide version hammock, particularly when car camping. Guess I'd have to try one to see if it's something for me. Can one have too many hammocks?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    ...the floppier fabric reduces pressure on my outside foot. I agree that the lay is no flatter, but the increased angle allowed in a wide hammock changes slightly where the sidewall presses on my foot, and that adds significant comfort for me.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    ...I can see the added comfort factor in a wide version hammock, particularly when car camping...
    I really don't get the "car camping" thing... the extra weight? Really?!?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Completely agree.

I really don't get the "car camping" thing... the extra weight? Really?!?
    If you truly want to go ultralight, you can leave no stone unturned. As a matter of fact, leave the stones at home, LOL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Guess we don't have an UL forum, huh? Personally, I think its bad form not to suggest exactly why something is good for car camping vs normal camping and not mention that, oh by the way, I'm a gram weenie and UL is my normal camping.

I'm not UL, but I do get the "no gram goes unnoticed" mantra of UL. In that regard, the Streamliner could be a good option, though I'm not sure how the lightest materials would hold up - probably ok? A question for Jared I guess. I would think for UL, the Streamliner cat cuts are a lot better than adding a knotty mod. If going UL, its all about accepting the compromises. If the Streamliner isn't all that to a lot of folks, its at least not so bad that its not a viable UL option.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

For me, it really depends on my primary use for the hammock. If it's for sleeping, I definitely prefer wide. The extra room makes for a much more comfortable lay, especially as a side sleeper. It makes it easier to find a flat position. If on my back, as someone mentioned previously, it reduces pressure on my outside lower leg. Plus, you can pull the sides over the top and kind of cocoon yourself for a bit of added warmth on a cold night.

If I'm mainly using the hammock for relaxing, especially in a location with a nice view, I prefer a narrower hammock. The high sides of a wide hammock obstruct my view and just end up annoying me.
    Owner and founder of Hammocked.com.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    what more is gained by going with a wide hammock vs. standard width?
    First, we must define what is a narrow, standard and wide width along with the length. Different hammocks in different lengths and widths, no single right or wrong length and width combination along with different fabric options.

I am 6ft 2 and 280 lbs and my wife who is 5ft 3 and 160 lbs like different hammocks. While we both like BlackBird's, she likes her 1.0 DL and not the 1.1 DL while I like a 1.7 DL. Same size hammocks, only difference is the fabric being used. I find the 1.1 DL while usable has a lot of stretch compared to my 1.7 DL. On GE hammocks I like them about 11 ft long and I have found 64" wide is a good width for me.

Comes down to ones personal preference, no right or wrong.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware 1.6 Hexon Netless
    Tarp
    HG Quest 12’
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Venom straps
    i'm in this dilemma now - i feel comfortable in my dutchware netless standard width, and the same hammock in wide. i'm still not sure if the wide is measurably comfortable or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    Bummer, I was hoping some sort of magic happened with a wider fabric because I like the cat curve benefits but I often find myself lounging or sitting on the edge while I dress, cook, organize, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I’ve found my streamliner fine to sit on with folding over the material on the edge you’re sitting in a la The Ultimate Hang. I’d read you couldn’t do it, but I thought it worked fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123