Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Moving beyond the $20 amazon "jungle hammocks"', i started with wide body hammocks and have generally stuck with them just because that's what I had. Early this year i made an ultralight 1.2 robic that is 10.5' long and I don't remember the width, but I trimmed about 5" off of it. I can't seem to get any less diagonal in it than I can with my hyperD 1.6 wide that was just selvedge hemmed. The wide tends to have a bunch of floppy material and while I can certainly get super diagonal, I don't stay that way for long in my sleep. And with an UQ, it's not that possible. I do tend to wind up with my extremities approaching the edges of my narrower hammock, but I've not gone over yet. As such, I don't find any real benefit or comfort addition of an extra wide hammock. Either way, I still sleep better in a hammock in the woods than in my bed at home. YMMV

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I think mine is 64" wide on the ends, which should make the middle about 54".
    That sounds about perfect as I build my hammocks at 54" wide. It would be interesting to see is the additional width at head and foot actually provide more usable space with the cat cut design!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Apart from the obvious, i.e., more material, more room, what more is gained by going with a wide hammock vs. standard width?

In other words, what's the point?
    Not sure if someone covered it and not sure if you were only talking about purchasing or DIY but here's a link to a Kickstarter page for SMR (Ninox) and they not only came up with a wider cut fabric but they made their on material and have a unique cut to get a flatter lay. I haven't personally tried it but they say it is wider and flatter than most others. Link >https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...latlay-hammock

Check it out.
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ &amp; UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    I'll be out this weekend and see if I can make a video. Not sure how much it will show you. The cat cut makes the side rigid, so you have no floppy material as you show in your video. I think mine is 64" wide on the ends, which should make the middle about 54". I've got another GE hammock that is wide with knotty mods and I still get steep walls, which I don't get with the Streamliner. I also have a large pocket sewn on the side which further opens up the middle of the hammock when stuff is in it, and is well supported by the rigid cat cut sides. Not sure it would work very well in a std GE hammock. I believe the extra support of the rigid sides helps to soften the forces that might otherwise cause the calf ridge. But, of course, its less material, too. I think his std Steamliner is normally 58", so that's 48" in the middle, a lot less material over the std 58" GE.
    How does the cat curve on the wider hammock feel to sit in? I've played with the curve on a standard width and found the rigid side uncomfortable while lounging or putting my shoes on. It's really nice for all the benefits you describe though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    How does the cat curve on the wider hammock feel to sit in? I've played with the curve on a standard width and found the rigid side uncomfortable while lounging or putting my shoes on. It's really nice for all the benefits you describe though.
    Just as you describe, uncomfortable. I don't lounge much if at all, and its something you get used to for putting shoes on, etc. - like you learn to hang a little lower so you don't have to put as much pressure on your legs.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11", 165 lbs., and have never desired a wider hammock. As long as I get 58" to 60" width, I'm comfortable.

Wider hammocks have become more popular in the last couple of years, as have longer tarps with 12' ridgelines. All I see is more weight, but some people see more comfort or better coverage.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ &amp; UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Just as you describe, uncomfortable. I don't lounge much if at all, and its something you get used to for putting shoes on, etc. - like you learn to hang a little lower so you don't have to put as much pressure on your legs.
    Bummer, I was hoping some sort of magic happened with a wider fabric because I like the cat curve benefits but I often find myself lounging or sitting on the edge while I dress, cook, organize, etc.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Many people go wide. If car camping, I suppose there's nothing to lose.
    Yes, I didn't even think about car camping. Good point. The video was good too... I like the knotty mod mod.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Standard Hammock Width vs. Wide

Taino hammocks were 17-18' long and 9-12' wide according to Bartolome de Las Casas, who documented the people Columbus encountered before they were destroyed in the first decades of the 16th century. They laid across them (Draumr style?). The wider the hammock, the deeper the sag you can have, or the further you can get on the diagonal toward 90 degrees without head or feet falling off an end.

Last edited by Latherdome; 10-01-2018 at 23:51.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    very long straps
    I'm 190cm (~6'3") tall and don't see any advantage going wider. In my experience, much more effect comes from length of the hammock and the length of the RL. The shorter hammock, the longer RL for more comfort (also more stress on anchors and other parts of the suspension...).

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast