Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Just to clear up any confusion these are the type of stakes I used:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vortex-1...202703690-_-N&

I'm 6 feet and 200 pounds. So I thought I'd be safe with those types of anchors but no such luck.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    In soft ground, be it sand, mud, etc, I want a V shaped ground anchor. I want the open side of the V stake to be in the direction of pull and my anchor point down a bit from the top so it's trying to pull the stake sideways more than up.
    Kind of like a vertical version of the "dead man" anchor that we use to winch vehicles out.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    The handy hang had four ground screws, two per end. They absolutely had to be solid in the ground. In some areas, that’s easy to accomplish (i.e. Portland), land west of the cascade range. Over here - not so much,
    Handy Hammock’s anchors (TWELVE aluminum stakes in 4 clusters of 3) pulled up for me in Portland too. The poles while very light are too short to support a 30° hang angle with an 11’ hammock far enough off the ground, forcing reliance on a ridgeline under high tension. That high tension transfers to the guylines with commensurate risk of anchors pulling out. The Handy’s guylines were also too short for best hold. Solo’s taller poles allow for steeper hang angles with less guyline tension, offsetting the extra weight of the poles with lighter anchors.

I wouldn’t trust any light anchors to hold over multiple nights in the same place, especially after rain. Getting in and out of the hammock many times, gentle bouncing, works them loose. Solo is meant as a portable solution, less suitable as a lawn fixture, or its anchors anyway. Turf often overlays loose powdery dirt lacking the necessary cohesion for any light anchor to hold well. Sometimes even Tensa4’s anchor comes up in suburban lawns, though rarely enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    16 inch stakes would probably hold if I could get them 16 inches into the ground
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    I bought two sets Solo conversion parts and some guylines to use with my Tensa4 poles. I am hoping for a much lighter solution on my more offroad motorcycle trips. I finally had a chance to test them yesterday. Setup was pretty easy. It takes a little more fiddling to dial them it. I need to get the tarp connection set up better. But I like it! I think weight is about 1/3 of the Tensa4 setup, so that's good for me. I might experiment with using the bike as one of the anchors to see if I can half my weight requirement again. I am often in places with trees, but there are a lot of places I ride without, so having options without a ton of extra weight will be a huge benefit.

(That's my 3-year-old in the hammock, I am not that small )

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    I bought two sets Solo conversion parts and some guylines to use with my Tensa4 poles. I am hoping for a much lighter solution on my more offroad motorcycle trips. I finally had a chance to test them yesterday. Setup was pretty easy. It takes a little more fiddling to dial them it. I need to get the tarp connection set up better. But I like it! I think weight is about 1/3 of the Tensa4 setup, so that's good for me. I might experiment with using the bike as one of the anchors to see if I can half my weight requirement again. I am often in places with trees, but there are a lot of places I ride without, so having options without a ton of extra weight will be a huge benefit.

(That's my 3-year-old in the hammock, I am not that small )
    Hold it! I see that you have the hammock suspension an inch or two below where you have the guylines on the pole. It is critical that all three lines attach to the pole at essentially the same point, namely resting on the lip of the #4 segment where the #5 enters it. (Can also be at #3, #4 junction if you want lower). First the hammock dogbone/toggle lark’s headed on so it self-tightens, and then the guyline loops resting on top of that.

If the lines attach at any distance from each other, they become a perfect pole bending machine, pulling in opposite directions! We sell replacement parts, but wish we didn’t have to as a consequence of our directions maybe not being clear enough.

Last edited by Latherdome; 05-07-2021 at 14:22.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Hold it! I see that you have the hammock suspension an inch or two below where you have the guylines on the pole. It is critical that all three lines attach to the pole at essentially the same point, namely resting on the lip of the #4 segment where the #5 enters it. Can also be at #3, #4 junction if you want lower). First the hammock dogbone/toggle lark’s headed on so it self-tightens, and then the guyline loops resting on top of that.

If the lines attach at any distance from each other, they become a perfect pole bending machine, pulling in opposite directions! We sell replacement parts, but wish we didn’t have to as a consequence of our directions maybe not being clear enough.

Thanks for that tip, I did not know that! Maybe that is why one of my 3/4" conduits bent slightly on my DIY. I might have had some distance between hammock suspension and ground lines. Can't say for sure, but I doubt I as paying much attention to that detail, since I was ignorant of it. I will be paying attention to that next time!

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    Thank you, Leatherdome! I will make sure that I set it up correctly next time. I'm glad I didn't fall or cause damage to anything!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by draco_1967 View Post
    Thank you, Leatherdome! I will make sure that I set it up correctly next time. I'm glad I didn't fall or cause damage to anything!
    What bike do you have? I have used my HD Road King as an anchor on one end before, but it's pushing 850 pounds with fuel and all my crap loaded on it. With Latherdome's nice tips, I think you have a great setup.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless 11'
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin 20*
    Suspension
    All the Dutchware!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    What bike do you have? I have used my HD Road King as an anchor on one end before, but it's pushing 850 pounds with fuel and all my crap loaded on it. With Latherdome's nice tips, I think you have a great setup.
    I have bikes that weigh almost half of that: Yamaha Tracer900 and the "Dirt Ninja 650" (used to be 650R). My plan is to run the hammock suspension of one end over the top of the handlebars, and then down to the ground, so hopefully most of the force on the motorcycle is compressive. The bars are pretty high on both bikes, about the same height as the Solo pole, where the suspension should attach.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast