DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Sorry, I can't get you entrance into the secret kingdom. I (Arrowhead) unrelated to Hammock Forums and how it runs. But email or "chat" me up at Arrowhead and I am happy to talk about just about any gear/topic. Personal favorites are stoves/camp cooking, fishing, camera gear,....
    Thanks for the invite, I will def take you up on your offer, since all you touched on is in my realm...well, maybe not the fishing aspect. Though I am good at feeding the little buggers!!

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    I just wanted to say how impressive it is to see someone on a message board who ASKS about etiquette prior to posting. Kudos to you, WGoff.

LMAO!! If you only knew!!! Usually I'm asking for forgiveness....

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    You all are great, thanks for input, laughs and my cool new logo.

Respectively yours,

WGoff

Wait, where do I find this magic kingdom?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WGoff View Post
    You all are great, thanks for input, laughs and my cool new logo.

Respectively yours,

WGoff

Wait, where do I find this magic kingdom?

Well since I haven't seen anybody mention it yet, I highly recommend that you go take a look at the Forum rules and terms of service, especially if you want to post anything in the want to sell or want to trade sections. I post a link but I'm driving so that's not a great idea. If you don't bother to read the rules, the mods on this form will do an amazing job of very politely educating you. But, that can be a somewhat embarrassing experience and as wonderful as they are I would suggest avoiding it. They have a lot of work to do oh, and there are a lot of things that would not be a problem on many forms out there which will get you some attention from the mods here.

The rules might be a little stricter than you're used to, but I think you'll find that this forum is a pretty unique place that somehow manages to be full of good people providing lots of helpful information while avoiding a lot of the oh, negative stuff difficult to describe without violating the terms of family friendly Forum that comes along with just about every other form of ever been in.

So, in expectation that you'll come to appreciate the wonderful job they do as much as the rest of us, might I kindly advise you to make their job easier bye reading up on this stuff and figuring it out before you end up sticking your foot in your mouth and having to have the mods help you pull it out. Repeatedly. Which is even more uncomfortable when you're wearing dirty Crocs. Don't ask.

I'm probably going to be horrified when I see how badly my phone manage to describe this as I'm driving, but as I don't have time to pull over an edited and I'm not crazy enough to try that while driving, I'll just send it as is and hope that whatever Abominations it managed to include or at least enjoyable.

And welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WBO Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubator Econ 30
    Suspension
    Stock/TBD
    James thanks for the info/warning but really, drive...don't text! Thankfully I'm way up here in never never-land and not driving anywhere near you. Lived in Florida over forty-years, so I know all about less than stellar drivers. LOL.

I have read the proceedings and know the rules as best as humanly possible. You're asking a lot of this old brain if you think I can commit all to memory. Am on one other forum and the rules there are not well enforced or enforced well...or, well...whatever. Sometimes it can be funny, but other times it's blown up to very nasty states. I actually am able to write and speak (sometimes) in proper English and have a vocabulary that I know how to use, to boot.

Have connected with some of the fine people on this site already and without them would have made some serious blunders in my first attempt. I'm rather perceptive (even in advanced decay mode) and understood quickly how things work here, hence my question asking today. I also know how much info is contained in these pages and I'm very thankful to have found this forum and the folks herein. Love also that I'm dealing with cottage vendors and not some corporate behemoth. As I would much rather support them than any behemoth, any day. Plus, getting the keys to the magic kingdom for ten small greenbacks was the steal of my lifetime. However, if you think for one second I'm going to play the "straight" man, well, sorry...ain't gonna happen. That's just not me. If I get called out, well, I'll take my licks, grab my hockey puck and go directly to the penalty box...whimpering.

Hopefully you made it home safely and others in Marietta did as well! Yes, your diatribe is almost completely intact, to which I say Bravo. Please send photos of your vehicle with license plates (tags, or whatever you called them there) visible, so I know who to avoid on my trips south. Just kidding, but I do appreciate you taking time out from your Tesla Auto-Pilot session to set me straight. BTW, I'm a car guy as well as a kayaker and soon to be a hanger, at 30-degrees. Which amazingly is the same angle I set my yak paddles at. Ain't life grand?!!

Ciao....
    Last edited by WGoff; 05-08-2018 at 01:47.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    The rules can seem long winded and detailed, which they have to be...but it's really just about being respectful to one another and sharing common interests in the hammock world. Welcome to the forums

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    The rules can seem long winded and detailed, which they have to be...but it's really just about being respectful to one another and sharing common interests in the hammock world. Welcome to the forums
    I thought I had added a further reply on this thread, but I don't see it. No skips in the post numbers lead me to believe I simply forgot to post it, especially since it appears not quite finished. BUT on the off chance that it was silently deleted because I unintentionally tripped over one of the rules in my rambling about my opinions on said rules, would you mind looking over the following and letting me know if it's kosher before I post it? (BTW, the "restore auto-saved Content" feature ROCKS!!!)

Thanks!

- James

(here's the lost reply)

James thanks for the info/warning but really, drive...don't text! Thankfully I'm way up here in never never-land and not driving anywhere near you. Lived in Florida over forty-years, so I know all about less than stellar drivers. LOL.
    Hopefully you made it home safely and others in Marietta did as well! Yes, your diatribe is almost completely intact, to which I say Bravo. Please send photos of your vehicle with license plates (tags, or whatever you called them there) visible, so I know who to avoid on my trips south. Just kidding, but I do appreciate you taking time out from your Tesla Auto-Pilot session to set me straight. BTW, I'm a car guy as well as a kayaker and soon to be a hanger, at 30-degrees. Which amazingly is the same angle I set my yak paddles at. Ain't life grand?!!
    Wow, can't believe I missed that - normally I'd have noticed that someone might get that impression and made it very clear that was NOT what I was doing. But I didn't edit or proofread that because either would have required taking my eyes off the road and my hands off the wheel. Messing with your phone while driving is a TERRIBLE idea, even if you think you're "really good at multitasking" (FWIW, statistically you've got maybe a 10% chance at being better than me - ADHD does have some benefits - and I used to think I was good enough, but experience is a very effective teacher). Don't have a Tesla - they're tempting but not really up to a regular 350 mile drive yet. Instead I'm zipping back and forth between Charleston and Atlanta in an EyeSight equipped 2018 Subaru Crosstrek, which I've put about 12,000 miles on since November. Doesn't have full auto pilot, but it does have some very effective safety bits which do an impressive job (at least on the highway) of keeping you in from drifting out of your lane or hitting someone in front of you - not just beeping at you, but actually steering and braking automatically as needed. The message text was all converted from speech - didn't touch the phone while "writing" any of that - and I actually stopped while beginning and sending the message (which did require fiddling with the phone). And I'm not actually advocating "dictating" messages as safe - without an extra safety layer like EyeSight or AutoPilot that's still VERY risky, and even with such a system it's a bit iffy at best. Probably would have been a better idea to wait until I was stuck for 15 minutes in a Taco Bell drive through...

I have read the proceedings and know the rules as best as humanly possible ... However, if you think for one second I'm going to play the "straight" man, well, sorry...ain't gonna happen. That's just not me. If I get called out, well, I'll take my licks, grab my hockey puck and go directly to the penalty box...whimpering.
    Between the rules and the mods, it appears that hockey sticks are more or less banned. Which leaves this place more like families skating on an idyllic winter pond than a hockey rink - with a bunch of Olympic medalists lounging around and offering advice with free hot cocoa whenever you need it. Not your typical forum, but there's never a lack of forums which routinely overlook verbal body checks and high sticking if you need to vent some aggression . The marked lack of such behavior around here is part of what IMHO makes this forum great. I'm still fairly new here myself, but if I were to summarize my experience so far it might look something like this:
    • Enjoy the journey of discovering what HYOH means for you
    • Know that it may mean something very different for anybody - maybe everybody - else, and respect their journey too

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12