SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Thinking of heading to VT for a bit

Hi there,

Could you please help me out here?

I'm up here in Quebec and I'm thinking about heading to VT for a quick jaunt that could work with a hammock, maybe something that will typically last about 4 to 6 days closer to the Canadian border. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to do the Long Trail, but something along that line, but shorter would work. I like to be challenged at times.

If I do this, I will be bussing my way down there, so I'll need enough time to hike into the trail too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh! And free is good too!

Thanks!

Mt Philo is pretty amazing if you're able to park at the base parking lot overnight, not sure if a permit is needed or not if its to be done off a campsite. Regardless look into it, not too far away from shelburne. Great views of Champlain valley in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    Hi there,

Could you please help me out here?

I'm up here in Quebec and I'm thinking about heading to VT for a quick jaunt that could work with a hammock, maybe something that will typically last about 4 to 6 days closer to the Canadian border. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to do the Long Trail, but something along that line, but shorter would work. I like to be challenged at times.

If I do this, I will be bussing my way down there, so I'll need enough time to hike into the trail too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Oh! And free is good too!

Thanks!
    Any part of the Long Trail would be exactly what you want. You don't have to do the entire trail. Your best bet is to get ahold of all of the GMC books for hiking the Long Trail, and their map. There are shuttle services available in many spots on the trail. I'd say start somewhere near Rt 4 north of Killington and head north for your time. It'll definitely give you the challenge you are looking for, plus endless solitude. Hanging opportunities are everywhere. It's my favorite trail.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by lighteffect95 View Post
    Mt Philo is pretty amazing if you're able to park at the base parking lot overnight, not sure if a permit is needed or not if its to be done off a campsite. Regardless look into it, not too far away from shelburne. Great views of Champlain valley in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I won't need to worry about parking. I don't have a car. In reading about mount Philo though, someone mentioned taking an hour to hike it. I'm looking more for a 10-11 hour hike a day. Have I misunderstood? It looks beautiful though! And yes it's a State Park, so campsites need to be reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Any part of the Long Trail would be exactly what you want. You don't have to do the entire trail. Your best bet is to get ahold of all of the GMC books for hiking the Long Trail, and their map. There are shuttle services available in many spots on the trail. I'd say start somewhere near Rt 4 north of Killington and head north for your time. It'll definitely give you the challenge you are looking for, plus endless solitude. Hanging opportunities are everywhere. It's my favorite trail.
    Does anyone here in Montreal have the books? I'm leaving on Thursday! Ha ha!

I like the idea of a shuttle service and solitude... Rt4, Killington... will look into it. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Thanks! I won't need to worry about parking. I don't have a car. In reading about mount Philo though, someone mentioned taking an hour to hike it. I'm looking more for a 10-11 hour hike a day. Have I misunderstood? It looks beautiful though! And yes it's a State Park, so campsites need to be reserved.

I like the idea of a shuttle service and solitude... Rt4, Killington... will look into it. Thank you!

You can get the GMC books at any bookstore or outdoors store in the area. There's an EMS in Rutland where you could get them, then get a ride up to the trailhead on route 4. Rt 4 is also a good end point for a hike, as the Long Trail Inn is right up the street and has delicious beer + irish stew.

Mt Philo is immensely small, I'd say closer to 45 min to the top on the most direct route.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Mt Philo is immensely small, I'd say closer to 45 min to the top on the most direct route.
    Immensely small....... mind explodes.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    5-6 days will get you a nice trek on the Long Trail. The northern section is tough, but very rewarding. I'd go for a section that includes Mt Mansfield, Camels Hump and some others.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Well then, perhaps this one is for a day visit sometime in the future.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    5-6 days will get you a nice trek on the Long Trail. The northern section is tough, but very rewarding. I'd go for a section that includes Mt Mansfield, Camels Hump and some others.
    Thanks, I'll consider this. I have to look into the logistics of both arriving and departing. This will help determine what I can do with the least amount of stress - this is a vacation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast