Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has anybody ever made/used a Reverse Double Layer hammock, thinner layer as outer layer

Has anybody ever made or used a double layer hammock with the inner-layer designed to carry all the weight and the outer layer a stretchier fabric that is there just to keep the insulation against the inner layer?

With a traditional DL hammock, the weight of the user is on the pad and both are supported by the bottom layer. What I'm envisioning is a system where the weight of the user does not compress the insulation much because the 2nd layer allows more stretch, which I think would be more comfortable when used with a pad and might even allow a much softer pad or even blanket to be used for insulation without completely compressing it. Please post links to any threads where this has been discussed already, and perhaps some folks with a DL hammock with 1 layer stretchier than the other can experiment with flipping it inside out and tell me if this seems worth looking into further. The stretchier outer layer may need to actually be larger in dimensions than the weight-bearing inner layer, so hopefully somebody has tried this at some point?? All thoughts welcome.

Images
    I don't have an answer for you, but a suggestion you could look into before more replies come in. Farther down on the page here, you'll see a list of "Similar Threads." You might be able to mine some nuggets of information by reading through those suggested threads.

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    You are describing alot of the elements of this: http://bonefiregear.com/

Although, there is more to construction than just having the outer be stretchier.. it has to be a certain percentage stretchier as well has the insulation needs to be created in a way to reduce compression and handle body curvature.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Sounds like a "sound" idea!
    I assume you're going to use a CCF pad for insulation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Actually rather than a CCF pad, I'm hoping this can be designed to use various small blankets or quilts between the layers that could be switched out for different temps. Sort of like the hammocks with built-in UQ, except the insulation would be removable to allow a single hammock to span all temp ranges. I'm looking now at WB zip-on UQ protector and it may be similar to what I propose, except closer to the hammock and gathered with it to keep the blanket pressed lightly against the hammock, just enough to stay in place but not so much as to lose its insulation value such as if your weight is on it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I take it you are not looking for a lightweight solution? 1) double layer hammocks are heavier; and 2) blankets generally weigh much more than down. I don't think down would work at all, the way you are describing it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Sounds like the new 4Season Explorer from Hennessy. The outer layer is over sized, to accommodate extra insulation.
    See my review here: https://fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.com/...ang-del-4.html
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Thanks for that link Rasmus, just the sort of info for which I'm looking and led me to this: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4Season-system. Looks like Hennessy is using a 70d inner layer with an over-sized 40d outer layer. I wonder how much the outer layer is oversized; do you still have this hammock? Also, I noticed in your review that Hennessy extended the RL on this model, which makes me wonder if too much sag creates issues with the spacing between the 2 layers.

Weight is not to be ignored, but like most I am wiling to carry a bit more weight in return for lower cost, greater comfort, or easier to deploy. Switching the layer configuration would be an improvement with no weight penalty for anybody already using a DL just for pad use or just for different inner/outer color. And it provides some of the benefits of an UQ protector for anybody using a SL w/UQ protector, but saves some weight and improves simplicity by making it a permanent part of the hammock. IMO, an UQ ruins the simple look of a hammock because it covers only part of it, and I want the external camouflaged and blended with the environment. I'd also like the UQ to deploy with the hammock in one easy step but be removable, sold separately, and switchable to acomodate different seasons.

As for down, I also wonder if it's too easily compressed for this use. But, I hope the outer layer can be oversized and/or stretchy enough to use a slip-in down-stuffed pad of sorts. This might not work because even a significantly stretchier outer layer may compress the down at exactly the points at which you least want it compressed. But what I'm aiming for is a solution that combines the advantages of pads and UQs. An underquilt that is somewhat inside the hammock, or a pad that is somewhat outside the hammock, or actually some middle-ground combination of the 2 for optimum ease of use, comfort, and aesthetics..
    Last edited by SupraLance; 03-14-2019 at 23:13.

Hammock
    I have many.. use them all
    Tarp
    Fimbul, HH Hex, SF
    Insulation
    Fimbul Twister UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing, whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    Thanks for that link Rasmus, just the sort of info for which I'm looking and led me to this: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4Season-system. Looks like Hennessy is using a 70d inner layer with an over-sized 40d outer layer. I wonder how much the outer layer is oversized; do you still have this hammock? Also, I noticed in your review that Hennessy extended the RL on this model, which makes me wonder if too much sag creates issues with the spacing between the 2 layers...
    You're welcome SupraLance. I stille have the hammock, but I haven't measured the size difference i the layers. I don't think you could use down in between though... I think it will be compressed too much.
    Maybe a Climashield "pad", made like the open cell foam pad that comes with the hammock...? I might try that at some point.
    The ridgeline isn't extended by HH - I did that myself. It came shorter than my old Explorer Deluxe, which I find very comfortable. That's why I extended it.

I have made a "Wooki style" uq to fit my Hennessy's. It could easily be left on the hammock, if that's what you wan't. Check it out here... https://youtu.be/daqDxU-C8-M
    /Rasmus

www.instagram.com/fimbuloutdoors/
    www.fimbuloutdoors.blogspot.dk

Quote Originally Posted by SupraLance View Post
    Has anybody ever made or used a double layer hammock with the inner-layer designed to carry all the weight and the outer layer a stretchier fabric that is there just to keep the insulation against the inner layer?
    In addition to the HH Super Shelter which has already been mentioned, 2QZQ make an underquilt protector designed to hold extra insulation, which sounds similar to what you're proposing. I don't own one, so I can't comment on it, but it's sort of the same concept. My understanding is that the 2QZQ rig has heavier shock cord to sustain the weight of the insulation.

Bottom line: the concept has merit and you may be on track to extend the knowledge base with regards to variable insulation.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast