Tarp
    hammock gear cuban
    Insulation
    HG econ 20 & 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Dyneema tarp failure.

I have an eight year old Dyneema tarp with about 90 days deployed. On my most recent trip, it had numerous leaks. When I investigated in the daylight (it was night when I discovered the leaks) there were many "loose" fibers, each of which was allowing water to seep through. Is this a normal age/exposure issue for Dyneema tarps?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Do you use a one-piece ridge line or split lines (separate RLs on each end of the tarp)?

Split ridge lines put a lot of stress on the tarp and can lead to deformation of the material and premature failure.

Photo from a recent FS post demonstrating such a failure:

split_ridge_line_damage_01.jpeg

With DCF my practice is to always use a one-piece ridge line with the tarp suspended beneath it with Prusik loops, and there are other methods as well such as Nama claws.

campsite_02a.jpg

As with most materials for tent/tarp, it is best not to pitch things banjo-string tight, but just snug enough to get out the wrinkles. In the above photo only the ridge line is quite tight, everything else 'just so'....
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The above is good advice. And yes, unfortunately, dyneema "fuzzes"over time.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    hammock gear cuban
    Insulation
    HG econ 20 & 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As with most materials for tent/tarp, it is best not to pitch things banjo-string tight, but just snug enough to get out the wrinkles. In the above photo only the ridge line is quite tight, everything else 'just so'....[/QUOTE]

I use a continuous ridge line with 1 prusik on one end and hooked directly to the ridge D ring on the other end. I do tend to keep it pretty tight, but I didn't see a failure like the one in your picture, mine was just a few random fibers across the entire tarp, but every one of them had a drop of water suspended from it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The most common issue I see with DCF tarps are people who leave the tarp out in the sun too much. DCF will delaminate from excessive UV exposure. There have been a few people on HF who hung their tarp in the back yard for a month or two only to find their DCF tarp was destroyed.

I've had my DCF tarp for ten years and it looks like it's brand new.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    hammock gear cuban
    Insulation
    HG econ 20 & 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, thank you Gentlemen for your quick response. I'm going to give a Sil-poly tarp a try. Just got one from HG. I'll seam seal it and give it a winter test, maybe next weekend.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuralRefugee View Post
    Well, thank you Gentlemen for your quick response. I'm going to give a Sil-poly tarp a try. Just got one from HG. I'll seam seal it and give it a winter test, maybe next weekend.
    I have a used dcf tarp I bought on the forums, but I actually prefer sil poly. Dcf is lighter and totally water proof, but I really like the way sil poly is easier to store in your pack- takes a lot less space than dcf! (Also I dont worry about damaging my sil poly tarp- Its more forgiving, and If I have to replace it its much cheaper than dcf!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    DCF takes up a lot of space when it's stuffed or scrunched (as with snakeskins) because of all the wrinkles and small air pockets. But if it is folded and rolled it takes up very little.

Pic comparing a HG 11' DCF hex (top) and Dutch 11' Xenon 1.1 ...............

20220426_121249.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    DCF takes up a lot of space when it's stuffed or scrunched (as with snakeskins) because of all the wrinkles and small air pockets. But if it is folded and rolled it takes up very little.

Pic comparing a HG 11' DCF hex (top) and Dutch 11' Xenon 1.1 ...............

20220426_121249.jpg
    That makes sense- I use snake skins with my dcf tarp
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts