Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Try messing with the suspension angle ("hangle")to adjust your sag ... ie move the straps lower (and shorter to keep the hammock at sit height) for less sag, higher (and longer) for more. keep in mind that the less sag there is the more shoulder squeeze & calf-ridge there'll be. this is similar to the trick you would use if you wanted to hang closer to one of the trees than the other... like for instance if you had sapling growing closer to one of the trees... the difference being that you're goal is for keeping the optimal hangle

A pad might help firm things up without having to adjust the sag at all.

You and I are nearly the same height and build, so it should be achievable.

Personally, I prefer enough sag that the hammock conforms to my body, not my body to the hammock. this is only possible sleeping on the angle, which allows my feet to drop to a flatter lay, and with help from a small pillow under my neck to keep my head slightly up without being awkwardly bent at the neck.

as somebody else mentioned, you can try raising or lowering one end in comparison to the other. what this does is slide your butt closer (think "bowling ball in a sack") to either end, helping you find the optimal position

I sleep on my back in a hammock, but in a bed I can't, and typically I'll sleep on my side or belly and end up tossing and turning all night or wake up with a "dead" arm.

I've been doing this for 10 years and sometimes I still have trouble adjusting to different span lengths. but mostly that's because once I'm set up in a spot I usually use that same spot for quite a while so I just stay set up, without being to break down and set back up all the time, only the rare occasions when I change locations.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DW Wide Rectangle
    Insulation
    Jacks r Better zip
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    In second 2hat many other said with either double layer or heavier single layer, but also maybe whoopie slings as well. Not sure on your suspension but some give more than others.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Also, I don't think anybody mentioned it yet but you might try changing your lay direction. .
    I was just thinking -- I wonder if you have an asymmetric bug net and are sleeping the opposite of how it's attached (it's reversible). The first time I used my Chameleon, I misunderstood how to set it up for my preferred lay (head right, feet left) and though it was not uncomfortable, it was vaguely "not right." Then I figured it out and flipped it.

I believe that Dutchware sells an adjustable ridge line, and you could consult with them about the length limitations for changing it and still being able to use the bug net.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I am same height (abt 15lbs heavier, tho) and went with what Dream Hammock suggested for me for a 10-foot hammock, which is 64" width and made with Robic (now MTN) 1.7. I like the shorter hammock because it can be hung in slightly tighter spaces than 11'. I now have several hammocks, of course including some 11-footers but that first DH (Darien) remains my favorite.

Since then, I've used that 10'x64", 100" SRL 'formula' with some netless hammocks (TreeRunner from SLD) made with Hexon 1.6 and to me they feel just about as good and 'locked in' as that original DH.

Also, I don't think anybody mentioned it yet but you might try changing your lay direction. Just a few nights ago I introduced a young guy (also 5'8") to hammocking using one of those 10'x64" TreeRunners I mentioned and right off the bat (without telling him my lay preference) got him to try both directions and he ended up preferring head right. He tried switching during the night but in the morning he found himself back at head right.
    I actually recently contacted Dream Hammock, and they recommended a 64” wide hammock for me as well, although an 11 ft. How do you like that fabric? I’m torn between the 1.7 MTN and the 1.6 HyperD. If I was going in blind, I’d probably opt for the 1.7 MTN because that’s what DH is recommending me, although I have some wind pants in HyperD that I love so I know that’d be a safe fabric choice for me.

Have you tried anything wider than 64”? I’m thinking of going 64 or 65” wide, but wondering where exactly the point of diminishing returns is…

In terms of lay direction - I ended up getting my first hammock (the chameleon) with a symmetric bug net because I wasn’t sure which lay direction would be most comfortable. I end up preferring head left/feet right about 95% of the time, so I’m thinking I might try an asym net this time.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I kinda like head right, feet left but I got a WB BB before I know there was such a thing as head preference and their standard is head left feet right. Now I have a mix of hammocks with both designs. If I'm tired enough, it doesn't matter.

I used to tout the shorter hammock - if it still gives comfort - because I figured it would work in tighter spaces. But then I realized it was the tarp that was dictating the tree distance. It doesn't matter if the hammock can hang in 8-9 feet if the tarp is 11 ft long. You can shorten that requirement just a little if you angle the tarp. But with a "short" hammock you still need distance for the tarp.
    I could definitely see getting forced into one lay direction or the other and being okay with it - I’ve fallen asleep laying either way. About 95% of the time I’m head left though, so no reason to fight it I guess.

Agreed on the length. I already have 11 ft tarps I like, so might as well stick with an 11 ft hammock.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Give the hang position of the hammock to the out of centre hang…. Place the foot end closer to the tree or tie off point…. Keeping to the foot height higher than head height….
    Creates a slight degree of adjustment shift to the overall hammock centre of weight bearing…. Also reverse to see how the effect goes at the head end closer to tie off point… still keeping head end lower than foot end.
    All the best…
    I generally do this with the foot end being higher, but I’ll have to give the reverse a shot as well!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I sleep outside often at home, but the first night in the woods, I hear - or think I hear - every twig snap.
    Ever try sleeping with earbuds and listening to a podcast or relaxing album?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytow View Post
    My excuse was one for each of my boys and one for my wife. I tell them they are theirs and they are, when they come with me! The boys were young and skinny at the time hence the lightweight hammocks. Now they are 20 and skinny. Lol
    Lol! I think I’m subconsciously starting to do the same thing with gear for my partner. “Hey I got you this new [blank]… hey wanna switch halfway through the trip?”

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    Try messing with the suspension angle ("hangle")to adjust your sag ... ie move the straps lower (and shorter to keep the hammock at sit height) for less sag, higher (and longer) for more. keep in mind that the less sag there is the more shoulder squeeze & calf-ridge there'll be. this is similar to the trick you would use if you wanted to hang closer to one of the trees than the other... like for instance if you had sapling growing closer to one of the trees... the difference being that you're goal is for keeping the optimal hangle

A pad might help firm things up without having to adjust the sag at all.

You and I are nearly the same height and build, so it should be achievable.

Personally, I prefer enough sag that the hammock conforms to my body, not my body to the hammock. this is only possible sleeping on the angle, which allows my feet to drop to a flatter lay, and with help from a small pillow under my neck to keep my head slightly up without being awkwardly bent at the neck.

as somebody else mentioned, you can try raising or lowering one end in comparison to the other. what this does is slide your butt closer (think "bowling ball in a sack") to either end, helping you find the optimal position

I sleep on my back in a hammock, but in a bed I can't, and typically I'll sleep on my side or belly and end up tossing and turning all night or wake up with a "dead" arm.

I've been doing this for 10 years and sometimes I still have trouble adjusting to different span lengths. but mostly that's because once I'm set up in a spot I usually use that same spot for quite a while so I just stay set up, without being to break down and set back up all the time, only the rare occasions when I change locations.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Encouraging to hear that we’re similar builds and looks like you also have a Chameleon. Is that the only hammock you’ve owned? Or have you settled on that as your favorite?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Derch View Post
    In second 2hat many other said with either double layer or heavier single layer, but also maybe whoopie slings as well. Not sure on your suspension but some give more than others.
    Currently I’m using Dutchware straps and beetle buckles. I’ve been curious about trying some Whoopie slings, but the beetle buckles are so convenient that it hasn’t been something I’ve prioritized. Also would be a bit concerned about damaging trees with whoopie slings?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast