Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B

Klymit Hang Flat and Sky Bivy

I was looking around for new products. Surely you guys seen this one. However I don't see a thread about it. Looks interesting but I don't see a bug solution.

https://www.klymit.com/hammocks.html

Anyone own one? Thought?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Don't own one, but it's pretty funny. Just what I was looking for - a hammock with a pad!

Act now and you'll get free condensation.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-28-2018 at 02:16.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Just had a quick look. As Obiecamper pointed out have they forgotten about biting insects ? A bugnet option ?

Amok & Hammockbliss also hang with pads...
    Last edited by ofuros; 09-28-2018 at 06:06.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    The Lay Flat is an interesting concept. If lighter and with a good way to fit an UQ, I'd want to try one.

Looks like you'd be limited to tuck under bug net options, which is fine for some, especially minimalists. Looks like this weighs in at almost 3 pounds though, so I'm not sure of the market they are after really. The concept itself is pretty cool though - if you could execute it with perhaps a triple whoopie system you could probably cut some of that strap weight. I'm not sure if you save weight by adding pole pockets large enough for sticks that could support this and foregoing poles, or if just minimal reinforcing for minimal poles is better. I'd say overall this is probably a solution looking for a problem, but if I had material and skill laying around I'd be very tempted to try a DIY ultralight version.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    that's really different. it looks short too, but hard to say without trying

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B

Klymit

They are developing a bug net and it will be ready by spring

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiecamper View Post
    I was looking around for new products. Surely you guys seen this one. However I don't see a thread about it. Looks interesting but I don't see a bug solution.

https://www.klymit.com/hammocks.html

Anyone own one? Thought?
    Thoughts on which piece of gear? The Traverse Double Hammock? I wouldn't ever buy another simple gathered end hammock under 10' that is called a "double" again. Width in a GE hammock is worthless without length; the wider and shorter, the more bathtub-like it becomes. Not my cup of tea.

Or on the "Lay Flat Hammock"? I would test it if I would get it for free, or maybe if it would cost $50. I wouldn't risk $149.95, though. There have been similar hammock designs in the past, and none ever became popular. I'll bet they'll not be selling this design for long. Looking at the picture without an occupant, I don't see any area where I could lie as flat as in any normal 11' hammock. For that kind of money I can get a lot of hammocks that weigh less, allow for a lay at least as flat, and have bug protection on top.

Or the insulation? I bought a normal (= not hammock specific) Klymit Insulated Static V Lite a while back, because I read reports on this forum that this pad actually made hammocks more comfortable. I'm a quilt-person, but I'm open to new ideas, and I sometimes go to ground, so I got one. I was sorely disappointed. Comfort in the hammock wasn't better than with a bog-standard self inflating pad. Comfort on the ground was *a lot* worse than with a 1.5" self inflating pad. And insulation - which insulation? I sleep very cold, but I have never been cold (either on the ground nor in the hammock) with my Therm-a-Rest ProLite Plus, which supposedly has an r-value of 3.4. The Klymit claimed an r-value 4.4. I don't know what they put in their pads, but it sure isn't insulation. There seems to be a thin layer of fuzz glued to the inside of the shell. That's it. I used the Klymit pad in a WB Ridgerunner during a very warm night in August, and woke up shivering. I had to get up and get my TaR pad to be able to continue to sleep. I used the Klymit pad on the ground indoors for a couple of nights and wasn't exactly warm. After this experience I'm through with the Klymat pad design. If you don't need much insulation, you might be able to get some use out of it. My advice though: spend that $169.95 on a synthetic underquilt. You'll get more bang for the buck.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    They need to send one to someone to review.

Hammock
    JustBill's Biggy Deluxe
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Zepp/LL Ghost Pepr
    Images
    It doesn't look flat to me. OTOH, my Justbill's Luxury bridge is totally flat and has enough room for sasquatch. And Bill sells bug nets and traditional UQs work great with it.
    But for the grace of God, there, I go...

• + New Posts