Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Want to try cold weather hammock camping @ Yosemite without buying a lot of new things... ideas?

What I currently own:

* 15*F Marmot Sawtooth Long bag
    * Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle XL
    * Hennessy Hammock Double Buble Pad XL
    * Therm-a-rest NeoAir UberLite Sleeping pad (r value 2.0)
    * Paria Outdoors 12x10 hex cut tarp
    * SOL Emergency Blanket

So I'm headed to Yosemite the 28th, 29th and 30th of October where weather lows could be 33-42*F. If I started my hike from Tuolomne Meadows instead of staying in the valley, October's low averages are 24*F and November are 16*F.

I'm wondering, if I wanted to camp in my hammock would I need to buy a bunch of new things? My gut reaction is this would be a bit too chilly to camp in comfortably with my current setup. I did use the above setup at Rainier in August and found myself to be pretty warm into the 50s/40s (I didn't have a thermometer, or rather didn't think to use my watch to measure actual temperature using barometric pressure) except for when my feet slipped off the pad that I had in my pad. I found that closing the bug net around me prevented the pad from slipping out and I slept toasty after that. To be clear, I had hammock set up, then put the pad on top of the hammock and then struggled a bit to get into my sleeping bag where I slept above the NeoAir pad.

Since my hammock is double layered I did try to get the neoair pad in between the two layers but I probably had it over inflated; and I'm not sure it would fit. UPDATE: I tried under inflating it, inserting it then inflating it the rest of the way and it fits great! AWESOME! Will be doing that next time.

To be honest, I'm a little apprehensive of hammock camping in such conditions. I have done some cold weather camping in general (in a tent) but not lots.

I was also thinking of using the emergency blanket and clothespinning it to the hammock ridge line so as to trap some of the heat I generate.
    Last edited by arooni; 09-17-2019 at 20:04.

Hammock
    Amok Equipment
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    OutdoorV Topquilt
    I would highly recommend and Under quilt... I hammock camp frequently in Northern Michigan and it gets down to the low teens and single digits in Late October and November.

I have different types of setups when hiking and base camping etc. I use a Amok Draumr with an Exped synmat 7 and an Outdoor Vitals Loftek 15* top quilt.

When I don’t use that I have the Hennessy explorer deluxe and use the Outdoor Vitals Storm Loft 15* top and Bottom quilts

https://outdoorvitals.com/collection...-down-topquilt.

Your current setup would definitely work you might just need some lower insulation and you will be fine. I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your suggestion Stallion.

I'm wondering too if I could use my down bag as sort of a under and over quilt by opening up the zipper all the way then getting into the hammock and then zipping it it back up.

I.e. Uboway-Underquilt.jpgUboway-Underquilt.jpg

Hammock
    Amok Equipment
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    OutdoorV Topquilt
    You’re welcome Arooni

Hmmm I’d recommend going to a park and try it out to see how it will function for you. I tried this once and it didn’t go that well for me ha ha. But then again it was my only option back then. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Stallion1027 View Post
    You’re welcome Arooni

Hmmm I’d recommend going to a park and try it out to see how it will function for you. I tried this once and it didn’t go that well for me ha ha. But then again it was my only option back then. Good luck

Just checked my Marmot bag and I don't see anyway of making that taco happen LOL.

Hammock
    Amok Equipment
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    OutdoorV Topquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    Just checked my Marmot bag and I don't see anyway of making that taco happen LOL.
    See good thing I mentioned something lol!

Btw using pads in a hammock are a real PiTA! (Pain in the A**) unless there’s an insert for it. Now if using it for lower insulation an under quilt will definitely be suffice Incase you wanted to know.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Two things. First, get in your sleeping bag first (like standing up beside the hammock), then sit in the hammock, lay down and bring your legs in. If you try to get into your sleeping bag while in the hammock, be sure to have a friend ready with a video camera so you'll have something to send into America's Funniest Home Videos. But you might consider leaving the bag partially unzipped, leaving about 2.5 feet zipped at the bottom for a footbox. That way it will act as a top quilt. Remember, the part of the bag you have under you will be compressed by your body weight and not contribute much to warmth.

Second, given your setup, I think the most bang-ban-for-the-buck item you can add is a full sock; not just an underquilt protector. The full sock will weigh less and certainly cost less than a winter underquilt.

Second and a half is a balaclava for your head. Think of it as a winter sleeping cap. I have one I can adjust to cover my nose if it gets that cold.

Note that you will probably have to deal with condensation issues. That's just part of the challenge of winter camping. There are numerous threads about experiences/solutions. Just know condensation will happen so the realistic goal is the minimize it - finding that balance with your gear between enough air flow to keep it at bay vs too much air flow that robs heat.

Using your space blanket over your hammock ridge line "sounds" good. But whenever you get behind a non-breathable barrier, it blocks the vapor you expel. But try it. Note that though the sock I'm recommending will be breathable, you will probably want to leave it a bit unzipped, usually near your head area.

So my bottom line is - you don't have to make a major investment in new gear; especially when this "toe dipping" in cold camping is short termed; a "one off". I think the full sock will the lightest, cheapest, most packable addition you can add to increase winter comfort.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    Car camping? No problem.
    My second time in my XLC was a weekend campout and I knew it was going to get down into the teens (reached 12 degrees).
    I slung three costco quilts under my hammock as an underquilt. I attached the quilts to my XLC using those cheap tarp clip things you get at Harbor Freight (I think I used 6 or 8 of the things lol).
    63067_zzz_500.jpg
    Inside the hammock I had a coleman Dunnock Cold Weather Sleeping Bag that I slept in with a blanket on top of that and a tarp over the bugnet just because I could.
    48beccbf-ddc7-4ee2-8559-3a565c14dc6b_1.b74234ce1c396adb504056a7ec488684.jpeg
    On top of that I had a few hot hands packets just for insurance. I was comfortable and slept great. Total weight was probably around 40lbs not including the hammock lol.

I have come a long way from that trip two years ago

Edit: I also remember having a few of those cheap fleece blankets you get from walmart tucked here and there. Two or three I think lol.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you can do it. Wear a beanie or something on your head and don't go to sleep cold.
    Your pad at 2.0 is rated to about 36º on the ground. You will lose a little bit of that hanging with cold air underneath you.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

These are all great suggestions and another reason why I love this forum!

@ cougarmeat: I will look into creating a DIY budget winter sock. Good idea without having to spend another $200 etc.

@ ahursey530 I think I'll visit Harbor Freight to get a few of those clips, some paracord and maybe figure out a way to attach my existing SOS blanket to the bottom of the hammock as a ghetto underquilt.

@ shug Definitely have watched your videos before.. it's great to see you respond here. Also love your vibes.

@ all:
    1) Would I likely be warmer with with my bag set up in top quilt mode or in sleeping bag mode?
    2) I really would love to see the stars at night (assuming no rain forecasted) but I'm guessing setting up my 12x10 hex tarp low to the ground and close to the hammock would be warmer, correct? I always have the tarp pitched but just in a snakeskin type bag unless it seems like I'd need it. I usually stake it all out so setup would be 1 minute.

I'll let you all know how it goes assuming I survive my 3-4 day hike into Yosemite :P.
    Last edited by arooni; 09-19-2019 at 14:49.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast