Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I leave all of my "strings" attached to the sides. No shock cords on the ridgeline. I use a structural ridgeline with Namaclaws instead of of prussics for end to end tension. I pull the snake skin over the tarp pulling everything inside of the snakeskin. I use a full length snakeskin instead off the split version. I guess one would call that a sleeve.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Pretty sure shock cord feels the same way about you, except the life span. Aren't you like 96?
    Yo momma is 96! I saw some gray in your beard last hang, so you're getting up in years too. Pretty soon you're gonna have a combover.

Me, I'll be 63 in eleven days.

Shock cord reminds me of paracord. I totally missed the boat on paracord -never had the slightest interest in it. As a survival cord, it's great. I've constructed shelters, tables and chairs with just a saw and some paracord. And paracord will withstand the weather for a long time - seven to 10 years minimum. But would I use paracord in my hammock setup? Not in a million years.

I feel the same way about shock cord - I don't know the history of how or why it was invented but it just seems like it shouldn't have been invented. A cord that doesn't perform in cold weather, and entirely loses its elasticity in a couple of years just seems like a waste of money to me.

I'll stick with Dyneema cordage - Zing-It and Amsteel - that rope will still be viable 50 years after my demise!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Silvrhalflife FTW!
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use shock cord on my UQ. Quite a bit, in fact.

It is true that shock cord goes limp in very/extremely cold weather, but there is such a thing as cold-weather shock cord which is made using natural rubber, vs the synthetic rubber used in nearly all other shock cord. Natural rubber doesn't lose its elasticity in extreme cold.

I found out about this the hard way back in the '90s during a winter trip to Katahdin during which the temps got down to -25°F every night. Our first night in, I had a devil of a time erecting my Bibler Eldorado tent because the shock cord went total spaghetti on me and the poles would not hold together. Darn near got into serious trouble over that one because it was a long hike in and early hypothermia was starting to set in... there was also a 25mph wind, which really complicated things. Other people with other tents had worse problems, and I learned only after the trip that 2 other guys got serious frost nip and another fellow lost the tips of 2 fingers and couldn't work (he was a mechanic) for more than a month. Anyway, after the trip I complained about this to Todd Bibler, who still owned the company then, and they sent me a new set of poles with the extreme cold shock cords.

But I don't use shock cords on hammock tarp guylines, although I find them useful for door closure.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Just noticed Hammock Gear has the following disclaimer on its Dyneema tarps:

Dyneema® composite has zero stretch to eliminate sagging when wet. Because of this quality, we also highly recommend adding shock cord loops to all tie-put points for added protection from damage in high-winds. It is equally important to not overtighten tie-out point as this can compromise the material over time.

Still not ready for shock cord. Hoping adequate site selection and overtightening avoidance keep the tarp in good standing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I use shock cord on my Dyneema tarp (per manufacturer's recommendation!), but not on my silnylon ones (they have plenty of stretch), but that and the rest of the options all seem to be personal choices.

The exception might be the mason twine - I strongly advise against it. The various specialty cords, such as zing-it or triptease, are easy to untangle (if they tangle at all) and hold knots well, yet allow them to be untied. Mason twine has none of those attributes.

Images
    I also put shock cord on my corner tie outs for my tarp. I use the tarp worms from Dutch and tied the shock cord to them. I have a tendency to over tighten things so It helps me in that regard.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Just noticed Hammock Gear has the following disclaimer on its Dyneema tarps:

Dyneema® composite has zero stretch to eliminate sagging when wet. Because of this quality, we also highly recommend adding shock cord loops to all tie-put points for added protection from damage in high-winds. It is equally important to not overtighten tie-out point as this can compromise the material over time.

Still not ready for shock cord. Hoping adequate site selection and overtightening avoidance keep the tarp in good standing.
    I'm with you on this one; I don't need it.

I think they're trying to circumvent the average person's tendency to crank everything down tight as a crab's sphincter instead of keeping things simply 'snug' and 'just so.' Sort of like an experienced mechanic who can do a pretty darn good job judging proper bolt tightness without a torque wrench.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    I use shock cord loops - but mainly for the ease of using DW ringworms. I mainly use ti-sh.hook stakes. So I just have an open loop at one end and a knot on the other end to keep the ring worm on. Works good for me. I have only slept one night (backyard) in stronger winds gusting 25+ so not terrible. Worked great. I have lost one hook to the "launch" though - but knowing my it was likely still in the ground where I left it , just couldn't see it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie sling
    I tend to lurk more than post these days but I have to say, don't knock the shock cord until you've tried it. I put mine on just like the video Shug posted about 15 years ago and they're still going strong. I used to struggle to keep a tight tarp during heavy rain fall here in the south. Inevitably the tarp would relax, or the wind would be so strong it would cause issues with the pitch. Nothing I couldn't handle by getting out and adjusting but since I put on the shock cord I can stake it and ignore it all night long...for the last 15 years.
    I will, however, echo kstpehens comment about "launch." That has happened a few times to me, particularly in sandy or loose soil and most of the time during the actual pitching. I had to change my stakes to the MSR ground hog style and that solved the problem. Mostly though, it just makes me laugh.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast