Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Many believe this forum is not user friendly. And compared to other on-line forums does not get updates to make it more user-friendly.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Until very recently pretty much all of my camping was related to Scouting trips. I started hammocking in 2015 and I was the only one in my central Illinois council to do it at first, however it only took about a year to see others pick it up. What started as almost a revolution against tents and looked down upon by the rest of the adults the popularity grew and now when I go out it is fairly widely accepted. I was happy to be a trailblazer for our cause even though my experience was limited to an ENO hammock and amazon underquilt/tarp set up. I really put in the nights though utilizing that setup and helped other new hammockers with theirs to get to their optimum lay. I think the popularity of hammock camping is at an all time high and no matter if people are buying their items online, at their local big box store, or from a cottage vendor they are getting out and enjoying the experience enough to continue. When they are ready to upgrade their gear they will seek out the advice of forums like this one and YouTube and other social media platforms.

As far as the forum goes, this particular thread has over 400 views and only 19 responses. Like many others I lurked for a great while before posting. I now really enjoy putting comments out there and waiting for responses from all of you very knowledgeable folks. Hold out hope and stay positive as I have a feeling it will come back around and be even more popular than it ever was as this next wave into our hobby find us.

Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Many believe this forum is not user friendly. And compared to other on-line forums does not get updates to make it more user-friendly.
    I'm not really sure what that even means. What constitutes "friendly" for such folks? Color me benighted!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    Last year backpacking I saw two hammocks while out (about ten different trips in the 2-3 night range). Both of those were ENO style for lounging during the day. I ran into one woman with a HH camping in a designated walk in area, though I mostly see 'day loungers' in this environment.

I am frequently the weird 'hammock evangelist' and talking to people I find a lot of people are concerned about not being able to find trees. Which I think is kind of funny for where I live. Trees are not in short supply unless you are above tree line. A flat area clear of underbrush is MUCH harder to come by.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I see more hammocks in the woods.
    As to the Forum, I think a lot of folks go on FaceBook and Redditt and other socials. Seems forums like this are sorta like sending emails. Possibly antiquated.
    Shug
    Boomer
    Old School
    Yar- this forum is less popular.
    I suspect the event which shall not be named is a part of it... a big incentive to come here over other sources is that it remains a good place to coordinate and post group hangs.
    Seemed to be a decent slump off with a gradual uptick lately.

Karla points out a common complaint I've heard as well.

Keeping heads above water seems to be the main focus of many vendors and supply chain scrambles or shortages tended to take up most of the prototype time and budget.
    Bit of a crazy busy boom in outdoors gear for a bit, but pretty rough times I think for many.

Been a goofy few years...

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Is hammock camping as popular as it was 5-10 years ago?

Let us not settle into becoming the old crank posse who were into hammocking before it was cool. Before, when people used forums as a primitive form of social media! Why, our accounts here aren’t even linked to our credit scores! Yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-13-2023 at 21:18.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    JRB, EE
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Well, if it wasn’t for Shug and this forum, I probably wouldn’t be a hammocker. Props to Sintax and Frozen, as well.

Images
    Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm not really sure what that even means. What constitutes "friendly" for such folks? Color me benighted!
    Karla with a K what exactly would you want us to change?
    Our forum is a vBulletin Skins by Bluepearl Skins.
    We don't get to change much. Give us some example and we will forward them to vBulletin to see if they could be incorporated in their software.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I see more hammocks in the woods.
    As to the Forum, I think a lot of folks go on FaceBook and Redditt and other socials. Seems forums like this are sorta like sending emails. Possibly antiquated.
    Shug
    Boomer
    Old School
    Shug, as the main Hammock Forums admin for our Facebook page I will agree. It is faster and quicker. Good in some ways but bad in others like DIY. The forum layout is fare better for the DIYer. The one who just want to post the latest weekend journey FaceBook is far better. I am sorry you have decided to not be a part of our FB group. You are spoken of often and with great reverence to our hobby. Your YouTube videos are recommended almost daily when a question comes up. First on everyone's mind in Facebook what does Shug say What does Shug think. Then we go from there. The Facebook forum has almost 7000 members I know that is no close to the +60K on the forum the different is our 7000 joined in the last 5 years and are active.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Shug, as the main Hammock Forums admin for our Facebook page I will agree. It is faster and quicker. Good in some ways but bad in others like DIY. The forum layout is fare better for the DIYer. The one who just want to post the latest weekend journey FaceBook is far better. I am sorry you have decided to not be a part of our FB group. You are spoken of often and with great reverence to our hobby. Your YouTube videos are recommended almost daily when a question comes up. First on everyone's mind in Facebook what does Shug say What does Shug think. Then we go from there. The Facebook forum has almost 7000 members I know that is no close to the +60K on the forum the different is our 7000 joined in the last 5 years and are active.
    Just never wanted to do FB as I think I would never be off of my laptop. Thanks for the good words.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast