dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Tarp RL lead to my cuban tarp failure :p

Hey guys just wanted to throw my two cents out their on my personal experience with cuban fiber and a CRL running underneath the tarp.

I have had my diy hex cuban tarp .51/oz and everything holds strong in it as the tie outs should although I have found the low abrasion resistance of cuban fiber ended up rubbing quite a few holes in my tarp from the wind blowing moveing my tarp around making the CRL rub on my tarp and lead to servile spots in my tarp along the center ridge of the tarp having holes in it.

So I plan in going back to a silnylon hex tarp again although I would like to buy one instead of make another I dint want a PU coated tarp I want silnylon and just a plain black hex tarp any suggestions?

Thanks guys for the help! And if I were to ever use cuban for a tArp again I wouldn't use a CRL. IMO.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    why not just run the crl over the tarp?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I always run the CRL over the tarp. Never had a problem.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    My cuben tarp somehow manages to allow water to pool in a hollow on the ridge, but I solved the problem by running the ridgeline under the tarp. No problems with the ridgeline abrading the tarp at all so far.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB, CCF pad
    Suspension
    I switch around
    I just picked up a CF tarp and rigged it with a CRL/Prussik arrangement, with CRL under the tarp - I've seen no probs yet. Not crazy about the prussik part, but I hear it is better than the hook/flyz/sliding ridgeline arrangement. I'll have to keep tabs on this thread as I m still of the mind that CF is just a little bit fragile....

sc
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Cinch, Whoopie/Marlin, whatever
    JRB TQ with CCF underneath
    DIY tarps

"When In Charge, Ponder. When In Trouble, Delegate. And When In Doubt, Mumble."

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    I didn't rig up the RL above the tarp because I feel like under neath the tarp gives it some more structure and a tighter pitch with my tarp that's why I run it under my tarp. And again I'm not saying this will be the case with all cuban tarps just saying my experience I had to patch up four or five holes along the RL of my tarp yesterday from my CRL rubbing it threw. I will say I set up in good weather and pretty bad weather but I am really cautious with my gear I own/make because we'll I don't like wasting money and buying replacements all the time so I do treat my gear really we'll but also I do actually use my gear year around in all weather.
    Paragon Fury

Check out my youtube channel if you're interested in gear reviews and other outdor videos! https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKkuUy60Y07yuljZNsivIbA

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I'm a new hanger and haven't camped in a hammock yet...but...my tarps for my ground-dwelling have tie outs along the length of the ridgeline. My go-to is a 10'x8.5' silnylon tarp with five tie outs along the ridgeline and they really help. I use the prusik and toggle trick at each tie out and it works great. I can't imagine using a straight cut tarp without them but it appears the norm with a lot of the tarps I see used here; have never used a cat' cut tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I always run the CRL over the tarp. Never had a problem.
    I am in the process of making a CRL for my tarp with Dutch Hooks and the Wasp, but am a little stuck on the prussic-tarp attachment.

Do you use a prussic on the RL and then a prussic on the tarp with a Dutch hook? (This sounds easy but seems like a lot of "stuff" on the tarp)

Or do you use a toggle set into the prussic? (was wondering how well that works….I have not seen anyone talking about using them)

Commit your ways to the LORD and He shall direct your path
    (Proverbs 3:5) ........which is good, because I like to walk down lots of paths.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by harleynemo View Post
    I am in the process of making a CRL for my tarp with Dutch Hooks and the Wasp, but am a little stuck on the prussic-tarp attachment.

Do you use a prussic on the RL and then a prussic on the tarp with a Dutch hook? (This sounds easy but seems like a lot of "stuff" on the tarp)

Or do you use a toggle set into the prussic? (was wondering how well that works….I have not seen anyone talking about using them)
    I use soft shackle prusiks to attach the tarp to the ridgeline. On one end of the ridgeline is a Dutch hook - I wrap the ridgeline around the tree and hook the Dutch hook onto the ridgeline. On the other end I use a Dutch wasp. Once the ridgeline is attached to both trees I can then center it using the soft shackle prusiks.

Not sure where a toggle would come into play with the setup you're proposing.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    On sil tarps I always run the RL under the tarp, but for the reason that you just stated, I always use the RL above the tarp with CF. Since it is one of the most expensive pieces of camping gear that I have ever owned, I have been super paranoid that I am going to hurt it. I already had a lawn mower sling a rock through my other cf tarp and that scarred me for life! I am curious to see the long term results of using a rl under the cf tarp. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast