Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lbdgolfer View Post
    I have been asked to teach a class at our university of scouting in February on hammocks. Assuming you are new to hammocks what topics would you like to see covered? The class will be around 50 minutes.

Right now I am planning on discussing the following.

terminology
    types of hammocks
    suspension systems
    how to sleep in a hammock
    cold weather / warm weather camping
    Q & A

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I will definitely be reviewing Shug's video's for some additional pointers.

Thanks in advance.
    Lewis
    This is so cool. Good on ya. I'ld like to see your outline. Remeber to add stafty to your class. Some scouters what to put the kids in bubble wrap.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    I brought my whole rig in as a visual aid using command hooks to temporary string it too the walls. Used a small hand sized whoopie sling and a document camera with projector to better show what and how a whoopie sling is and the definition of working load limit, safety factor etc.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    +1 on hands-on. Bring everything you can to demonstrate, field test, etc.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    best thing you can do is bring in a tent that you can "race" some one to setup vs a hammock. theres no way you can loose. then you can have your student get into each and ask which they feel is more comfortable if youre outdoors you can toss up the tarp too, otherwise itll be kinda hard to stake out inside. lol

then when theyre both up, you can explain the differences in "climate" controls and the fact that you usually never get condensation in a hammock.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangingTechy View Post
    Audience=college educated. Need to cover its impact on Leave No Trace vs. tents and portability and weight over tents. I've gotten a few people at my college to convert and one security guard.
    +1 on covering the LNT benefits of hammocking.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Hmm. I know time is a constraint, but having an example cheap 'Scout' version hammock would be good to demonstrate that w/ a bit of ripstop, a pad, some straps and a couple easy knots any Scout can have one. Seeing the full setup of an experienced hammocker might give one the impression it's out of budget range - especially when considering most already have tent gear.

I've gone way out of my way to make as much of my own gear to show my Scouts that you don't need to buy branded expensive gear to have a great setup. Makes it a more viable option for them to upgrade to hanging.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    Hmm. I know time is a constraint, but having an example cheap 'Scout' version hammock would be good to demonstrate that w/ a bit of ripstop, a pad, some straps and a couple easy knots any Scout can have one. Seeing the full setup of an experienced hammocker might give one the impression it's out of budget range - especially when considering most already have tent gear.

I've gone way out of my way to make as much of my own gear to show my Scouts that you don't need to buy branded expensive gear to have a great setup. Makes it a more viable option for them to upgrade to hanging.
    ....love this fact!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Also cover
    weather protection, i.e. tarps, ponchos, etc.

insulation - bottom/top, e.g. pads, UQ, Sleeping bag, TQ, hammock sock-type, pluq

clothing recommended for particualr temps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    You are lucky! I literally did a hammock camping demonstration speech for my public speaking class tonight. I set it up in middle of the classroom (and got a lot of oohs and aahhs as I pulled the snake skins off lol). I started by explaining the various types of hammocks, rope, ripstop nylon, bridge, gathered end, asymmetrical...then went on to suspension types and explained my method and my process of upgrading to whoopie slings (currently have 1" webbing and toggles, just need the next item in the recipe). Then spoke about the advantages to hanging over ground dwelling. At this point my teacher put up a sign with the number 10 on it - I then breezed through insulation, only including top quilt, UQ and pea pod, and missing all the neat other ones. I had already talked over my 10 minute limit and I still had so much I wanted to say, modifications, winter set ups, rain set up, and neat little tricks and add ons, etc. etc.! So I had to breeze through insulation and cut the rest of my speech out. (Got to give credit to the fine folks of HF.net! I did list hammockforums.net as a source in my bibliography ) I bet you wont have any problem at all filling that 50 minutes. Good luck to ya and have fun!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock for now
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all of the ideas. I am a LnT trainer and have done a LnT class for the last 3 years. I had planned on having a segment on the LnT piece of hammock camping.

As expected the HF forum has provided the feed back that I was looking for.

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast