Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Caconym - your “few inches longer” might be a tad off. The shortest Thunder/Mini-Fly is 11 ft and they can be ordered in 12 or 13 ft. If you are using an 11 ft hammock - and many are closer to 10.5 or 10 ft. then 83% of hammock length - an average distance - gives you a 9 ft suspended length. So you’d have a whole foot, 12 inches, on either side. 12 isn’t a lot, but it’s much more than “a few”. So your hammock doesn’t come to the end of the tarp’s ridgeline.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I think I get what you're saying; that the offerings from Warbonnet are of a length that they're about a foot longer at each end than the hammock hang length, even on a longer hammock. I'm saying that with those mini doors to protect the ends better than a regular hex, they don't have to be. And since I'm making one myself I can bring the length in to suit my hammock and save some grams and hang in narrower tree spacings.

I also use a UQP which doubles as my rain poncho and a ground cloth if I have to go to ground. It definitely helps add a few degrees.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Yes, closing those mini doors is like adding a few FEET to the tarp IMO. Massive protection bump by adding almost nothing (1.4oz and negligible bulk)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I had a minifly a few years ago but, I sagged just far enough to see under it most of the time and never felt adequately covered. I eventually sold it to a much lighter friend. I just ordered a thunderfly and am looking forward to trying it. I did enjoy the extra coverage of the peaks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Caconym View Post
    I think I get what you're saying; that the offerings from Warbonnet are of a length that they're about a foot longer at each end than the hammock hang length, even on a longer hammock. I'm saying that with those mini doors to protect the ends better than a regular hex, they don't have to be. And since I'm making one myself I can bring the length in to suit my hammock and save some grams and hang in narrower tree spacings.

I also use a UQP which doubles as my rain poncho and a ground cloth if I have to go to ground. It definitely helps add a few degrees.
    Just picturing a shorter tarp - in order to get the same coverage over the hammock, wouldn't you have to lower the tarp relative to the hammock? I like having the space, and lowering the tarp would make the hammock claustrophobic, like a Hennessy.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I suppose. I typically have my Tadpole tarp half staked out and flipped back over itself so it's just a wind break, or in porch mode, depending on the likelihood of rain. I like to see the stars and the woods.
    Corvis natum est.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    MiniFly, DD 3.5m
    Insulation
    Wooki XL
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Well after reading this thread I now have myself a MiniFly en route with a 2QZQ under quilt protector which should be more than adequate for UK usage.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Awesome set up!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC DL
    Tarp
    Bergans 6019 M
    Insulation
    WB Wookie XL 0F
    Suspension
    Webbing w buckles
    Images
    So, time to put some more life (hopefully) into this thread.
    I have a relatively heavy tarp today, 970 grams all lines included. I bought it at a time I didn't even consider hammocking. It has good side coverage being 3x2,9 meters. But heavier and more voluminous than I like.

So I am looking for a lightweight tarp that doesn't take too much volume in my backpack, but still has the coverage to keep my backpack and camera gear dry.

The Warbonnet Thunderfly and Minifly looks like really nice tarps. End coverage and all. The Thunderfly "locally" available to purchase is 130 grams heavier than the Minifly, so I would be eager to get a Minifly if it has ample coverage. What I mainly am considered with is the side coverage keeping a backpack and camera gear dry if it starts to pour down, and keeping dry while making a meal. I understand of course that the Thunderfly have better coverage, but I am especially interested to know from those who bought the Minifly...would you buy it again or do you miss out the larger coverage that Thunderfly have? And do you think the Minifly will keep the backpack dry during a real downpour with some sidewind?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianWood View Post
    So, time to put some more life (hopefully) into this thread.
    I have a relatively heavy tarp today, 970 grams all lines included. I bought it at a time I didn't even consider hammocking. It has good side coverage being 3x2,9 meters. But heavier and more voluminous than I like.

So I am looking for a lightweight tarp that doesn't take too much volume in my backpack, but still has the coverage to keep my backpack and camera gear dry.

The Warbonnet Thunderfly and Minifly looks like really nice tarps. End coverage and all. The Thunderfly "locally" available to purchase is 130 grams heavier than the Minifly, so I would be eager to get a Minifly if it has ample coverage. What I mainly am considered with is the side coverage keeping a backpack and camera gear dry if it starts to pour down, and keeping dry while making a meal. I understand of course that the Thunderfly have better coverage, but I am especially interested to know from those who bought the Minifly...would you buy it again or do you miss out the larger coverage that Thunderfly have? And do you think the Minifly will keep the backpack dry during a real downpour with some sidewind?
    I like the Minifly a lot and have never gotten wet under it.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast