Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    At the group hang in MS this weekend, at least half of the hangers were female. They included, besides the female halves of 3 couples, a single lady w/ a male friend, a single mom with a 6yo girl, a mom with a 12 (?) yo Boy Scout with a jealous husband and older son who had other plans and couldn't make it, and my sister and me.
    We all enjoyed ourselves despite 2nights and days of rain and mud and found what we needed to make it work as far as privacy.

Each time I attend a group hang, I see more females, and they are enjoying it and spreading the word. Sharing the experience is the best way to spread the hobby. One good night's sleep in a hammock, with coffee and breakfast around a campfire, may change their life.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Warbird BB xlc
    Tarp
    Agua Quest Guide L
    Insulation
    Ghost Pepper, C. R
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by artgirl42 View Post
    I think running events that are specifically for women will help get more on board, and make them feel more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess start talking to some vendors see if they could arrange or help in some way. Much like REI and LL Bean have instruction nights.
    "And into the Forest I Go... to Lose my Mind and Find my Soul"
    Unknown

Raised in Maine, student at Slippery Rock Univ.
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    COGS Winter
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeshadow View Post
    I guess start talking to some vendors see if they could arrange or help in some way. Much like REI and LL Bean have instruction nights.
    Good idea! I never thought of doing that.

Music is the universal language of mankind
    -Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Hammock
    Warbird BB xlc
    Tarp
    Agua Quest Guide L
    Insulation
    Ghost Pepper, C. R
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Having worked in retail, companies love to target women who most likely are the shoppers in the family. With new fabric and the styles ladies have you noticed a change? When talking to vendors maybe they should ask for ideas of what will appeal to more women?
    Unknown

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Thank you for the idea. I'm going to call my local REI store and ask about presenting.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Warbird BB xlc
    Tarp
    Agua Quest Guide L
    Insulation
    Ghost Pepper, C. R
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I think not only the equipment can be covered but also the right clothing, women are cold creatures lol!
    If they are warm they will come... Especially in the winter around the fire...Wool Is used universally by the bushcraft woodsmen. The woolen anoraks, capes, gloves. Now, having looked there are not that many 100 % wool blanket colors to pick from. DIY?
    Other ideas flashing...Knives, size, style, weight.
    Last edited by Treeshadow; 04-23-2017 at 20:50.
    Unknown

I started hammocking when my brother and I were gearing up for a week long hike. I hadn't camped in years so we broke out the tent and did a prep night sleeping in the tent at the local state park (I claimed for the dog, but it was really for me too!) It was so uncomfortable I looked into alternatives and found hammocks. Luckily my brother had a hammock too.

I think I'm generally much less worried about the perils of the woods than most women I know, but I'll be honest, if I didn't have someone doing it with me I'd be more on edge in the woods, so for me it's a nice reassurance to be able to hang together, and we look for a site where that can happen. I think the openness of being under a tarp and missing the "walls" of a tent requires a huge adjustment. I suspect that it's not the hammock part of hammock camping that's a drawback to many women, it's the exposure of the tarp and the vulnerability of being "solo" in the sleeping unit.

I had to change my mindset from being "protected" by the tent walls to being able to see the woods, sunrise, sunset, moonlight, dog at my feet, other people in my group as advantages of the openness of the tarp that actually enhanced the purpose of the trip - being able to enjoy the outdoors and the human and canine company!

Hammock
    Hexon, self-crafted
    Tarp
    Xenon 1.1 hexagona
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie! home-made
    Images
    This does seem a little harsh but I will write it anyway.

I am not your leader. I don't speak for any woman but myself. I'm not just a hammock hangar but also an accomplished bushwhacker and bushcrafter. I really don't want to go into the woods with anyone, man, woman or child. I don't want to hear you whine, that you don't feel safe, you have to leave early to meet your boyfriend or do laundry. I don't want to hear your instructions on the proper way to do anything either, I'm out here on a monthly basis and you aren't. I don't want to hear you answer your cellphone, or post on Facebook about what a great time you are having with me. Please don't take a picture of me, I haven't combed my hair in 3 days and I'm filthy. Your politics are probably not my politics, and I don't want to listen to you. I go out into the woods to get away from all that for a couple of days to recharge. If you want to hammock then hammock. If you want to tent, then tent. Heck, don't do either and pay close attention to the weather if you want, sleep out!

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    Thank you for the idea. I'm going to call my local REI store and ask about presenting.
    Let us know how this turns out.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Cham102 View Post
    This does seem a little harsh but I will write it anyway.

I am not your leader. I don't speak for any woman but myself. I'm not just a hammock hangar but also an accomplished bushwhacker and bushcrafter. I really don't want to go into the woods with anyone, man, woman or child. I don't want to hear you whine, that you don't feel safe, you have to leave early to meet your boyfriend or do laundry. I don't want to hear your instructions on the proper way to do anything either, I'm out here on a monthly basis and you aren't. I don't want to hear you answer your cellphone, or post on Facebook about what a great time you are having with me. Please don't take a picture of me, I haven't combed my hair in 3 days and I'm filthy. Your politics are probably not my politics, and I don't want to listen to you. I go out into the woods to get away from all that for a couple of days to recharge. If you want to hammock then hammock. If you want to tent, then tent. Heck, don't do either and pay close attention to the weather if you want, sleep out!
    Hmmmmm, not sure how your post answers the question on how to get more female hammockers.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast