Hammock
    new to it
    Insulation
    snuggler
    Suspension
    daisy chain

where to place ropes for tarp

I am new to hammock camping I bought the east hills outdoors jungle explorer with bug net just want to know if you should place your rope for your tarp above or below your suspension straps

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlandersoutdoors View Post
    I am new to hammock camping I bought the east hills outdoors jungle explorer with bug net just want to know if you should place your rope for your tarp above or below your suspension straps
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU

Here is the king.

Anything that he does not have a video to help you with. Feel free to ask and I will set something up and take pictures as I do my best to explain my poor skills and experience.

我宁愿在山上。

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I’m unfamiliar with that hammock but your question seems to be generic - do the trap straps connect to the tree above or below where the hammock straps connect. It’s all in the “It depends” category. Though we mostly preach to tenters that we can set our tarp up first, in the rain, and then stay mostly dry as we set the hammock up under the tarp, I’m a member of TA, Tarps Anonymous, and must admit, “My name is cougarmeat and I set my hammock up first”. For me, it’s easier to get the hammock setup first and the position the tarp as desired afterwards. If it were raining, I’d put the tarp up. But I’ve needed to do that are very, very few.

So the height of your hammock strap is determined by the distance between trees, the distance you want your hammock off the ground, and the angle of your hang - all personal preference. Usually, because the hammock straps go up at an angle and the tarp ridge line goes straight across, the tarp ridgeline connects to the tree below the hammock straps. But that’s another “It depends” issue. If the weather is, or will become, bad, you want the tarp lower, closer to the hammock so the sides can be guyed lower to the ground. If you want more view and ventilation, you rig your tarp higher. There is no “Right” other than to keep you and your gear dry.

What’s important with the tarp is paying attention to where water will run off. There is no Law that says your tarp ridgeline has to be level. I usually put mine up with one pole in porch mode. That angle channels the water down to the foot end of the tarp and gives me a raised entry while most the tarp is guyed close (in bad weather).

It’s also important to pay attention to your orientation with respect to the wind. Some like broadside. I, for now, like parallel.

You also have the ridge line over or under decision. I like the ridgeline over for three seasons. It provides a clothes line if it’s sunny and I ofen use an external pole mode so the poles run across the line. But in winter, I might run the ridgeline under in order to give the tarp more support if there were a heavy snow fall - or just a branch releasing a build-up clump.

There are lots and lots and lots of YouTube videos on tarp setup. Watch a few - not to learn the “right way, but to see there isn’t some much a right way as there is a goal achievement. It’s not, “Do the lines go above or below the hammock support” as much as it’s, “In this situtation, what do I have to do to stay dry.” And “this situation” changes. So it’s not so much rules as it is goals.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 01-17-2022 at 14:21.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I set up btwn two trees then expect for the wind to change just after dark
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >I set up btwn two trees then expect for the wind to change just after dark

Thats why god made reflective guyline.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I set up btwn two trees then expect for the wind to change just after dark
    And not 180° so I'm getting maximum wind break from the opposite side of the tarp.

No, it just has to shift 90° so it's coming in from the head or foot end.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >No, it just has to shift 90° so it's coming in from the head or foot end.

That’s why god (a.k.a. Warbonnet) invented doors

Seriously though, some like red wine, some like white. I like the wind to come from the head/foot ends because 1) Less surface area to push against. 2) The trees themselves add some blockage. 3) The aerodynamics across the tarp lift it away from the hammock rather than pushing it into the hammock.

But of course, a 90° shift is 90° not matter what your preference. I think that falls under the category of “character bulding”.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    Pad and blankets
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcrow2 View Post
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU

Here is the king.

Anything that he does not have a video to help you with. Feel free to ask and I will set something up and take pictures as I do my best to explain my poor skills and experience.

我宁愿在山上。
    I'm 6'3" tall, and have a bad back, and artificial knee. I hang my Hammock a little higher because it's easier to get in and out of.
    I generally go against the wisdom of SHUG, and hang my tarp above my Hammock. In fair weather...
    I like to hang my tarp high so I can stand under it, in good weather.
    In bad weather I hang my tarp below my Hammock. I have the sides of my Superfly almost touching the ground.
    If they are predicting rain or high wind, I hang it low. I also close the door on the end the wind or rain will come from.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I prefer to take winds broadside instead of end to end. I tend to get a ballooning effect on my tarp when I get that, even with the offending end blocked off.

I use shock cord on my tarp side pulls. They stretch in the wind then return to set position when the wind eases. This seems to absorb some of the energy and takes the stress off the tie outs and stakes and I don't get near as many pulled stakes in high winds.

I also run my static tie out cordage through prussiks larksheaded to my D-rings, so any tension adjustments can be made from under the tarp, instead of at the stakes.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I prefer to take winds broadside instead of end to end. I tend to get a ballooning effect on my tarp when I get that, even with the offending end blocked off.

I use shock cord on my tarp side pulls. They stretch in the wind then return to set position when the wind eases. This seems to absorb some of the energy and takes the stress off the tie outs and stakes and I don't get near as many pulled stakes in high winds.

I also run my static tie out cordage through prussiks larksheaded to my D-rings, so any tension adjustments can be made from under the tarp, instead of at the stakes.
    This exactly what I do, only minor difference being Blake's loops vs Prusik on the corners.

Nice having that little cocoon of tranquility even with a simple hex tarp. Wind speed here was about 15-20 mph...

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts