Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1.0 oz hammock fabric choices

Hi All,

I want to make a lightweight hammock with a 1.0 ounce fabric. My choices are Hyper D, Robic XL, or Hexon. I'm planning on making the hammock 58-60" wide, so I would end up cutting down the XL fabric. The hammock will be 11.5-12' long. I'm 6'1" 170 lbs.

Any comments on which fabric you like better? Most comfortable? Least stretch? Anything else I should know?

Also, I will be using lightweight sewn on bug netting with zipper. Is the .5oz durable enough? Or should I stick with the sturdier .67 ounce?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    .5oz noseeum stretches but with care may last as long as the hammock - I'm not sure.

I find the Hexon to be my favorite hammock fabric. I like the firmness of 1.6 and LOVE the just-enough stretch of 1.0. The 1.0 feels even better to the touch than the 1.6.

I'm nearly 6'2" and 185 and am very happy w/the 1.0. I prefer it to most any other hammock fabric, just remember to treat it like the lightweight fabric that it is. I've never had a tear but I accept that it probably won't last as long as my other fabrics.

Hammock
    DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Pending
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I've enjoy the Robic more than the Hexon but have not made a Hyper D yet. I would go with .67 netting for durability. I am not the most gentle with my gear but the .5 hasn't held up as well my .67 net.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    .5oz noseeum stretches but with care may last as long as the hammock - I'm not sure.

I find the Hexon to be my favorite hammock fabric. I like the firmness of 1.6 and LOVE the just-enough stretch of 1.0. The 1.0 feels even better to the touch than the 1.6.

I'm nearly 6'2" and 185 and am very happy w/the 1.0. I prefer it to most any other hammock fabric, just remember to treat it like the lightweight fabric that it is. I've never had a tear but I accept that it probably won't last as long as my other fabrics.
    I have a small 9' x 5' lounge hammock made from Hexon which I like a lot, but it does feel like it stretches quite a bit. Thinking it might really stretch more in a larger size. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Hanger View Post
    I've enjoy the Robic more than the Hexon but have not made a Hyper D yet. I would go with .67 netting for durability. I am not the most gentle with my gear but the .5 hasn't held up as well my .67 net.
    What is it that you like better about the Robic?

I most likely will end up going with the .67 oz netting.

Thanks for your comments.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I am 6'2" and 175 lbs, and I have made both standard-width and wide DIY hammocks from both ROBIC and Hexon fabrics.

Hexon has the superior feel; no other top-echelon breathable performance outdoor fabric feels as good to the skin as Dutch's. It has more give, so since I prefer firmer hammocks, I favor Hexon 1.6, even though Hexon 1.0 will hold my weight. For me, Hexon 1.6's combination of compliance, support, and unique feel is absolutely worth the 4.5 ounces it will add to your 11-foot hammock over Hexon 1.0 -- moreso if you are heavier than 200 lbs. For me, it's the closest I've come to finding a perfect hammock fabric.

That said, among the truly lightweight fabrics at 1.0 oz/sq-yd, I like ROBIC 1.0; for hangers like me under 200 lbs it is plenty strong and gives a good firm lay while being incredibly light, albeit with a little less refined feel to the hand. ROBIC 1.0 is also fairly easy to sew for DIY. Use the extra trimming from the XL fabric when making a standard hammock body for stuff sacks or zipper hoods in an integrated-net design.

HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    Do you have a preference for how the fabric feels? What do you currently use for a SL hammock, and how do you feel about it? Order some samples, our opinions on some of these things are worth what you paid for them.

Kitsapcowboy's conclusions are certainly correct for him, and he makes some good points about firmness. Subjective stuff is really for you to figure out; I disagree that Hexon has superior feel for instance, but I know that we've both made hammocks with all of these fabrics and know what we like and why.

In my experience, stretchier hammocks are better for side sleeping. Firmer is better for back sleeping. I find stretchier hammocks are a little better with regards to shoulder comfort, but I rely on my ridgeline length to address that along with any calf ridge.

As a starting point to select something based on your sleeping style and preferences, I believe the objective consensus you'll find is that:

Firm to Stretchy: Hexon 1.6, HyperD 1.6, Robic 1.2, Robic 1.0, Hexon 1.0, HyperD 1.0.

Feel (Smooth/Satin to Textured): HyperD, Robic, Hexon. (This is an odd one, the Robic base fabric is smooth but you can feel the thicker ripstop yarn, it's more noticeable in the 1.2 vs. the 1.0 so at first it's more textured than Hexon, but it smooths out a bit over time and now both my Robic 1.0 and 1.2 hammocks feel smoother than their Hexon couterparts).

Ease of sewing: Hexon & Robic are both easier than HyperD. Heavier is easier than lighter. None are difficult.

I weight 200 lbs and for SL hammocks prefer HyperD 1.6 and Robic 1.2. My brother weighs 35 lbs less than me and yet chose Hexon 1.6 for his hammock because he's a dedicated back sleeper, again highlighting that everyone is different.

You may want to order multiple fabrics, make some sheet bend hammocks when they arrive, and sell the one you like the least. I'm sure you'll find a taker for 4yds of as-new fabric at a slight discount.

On netting, the 2nd gen 0.5oz netting is way better than the 1st gen in terms of workability and durability, but I agree with Tarheel that it's still lacking as a long-term alternative to 0.67 (which still needs to be treated carefully).
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcheviot View Post
    Kitsapcowboy's conclusions are certainly correct for him, and he makes some good points about firmness. Subjective stuff is really for you to figure out; I disagree that Hexon has superior feel for instance, but I know that we've both made hammocks with all of these fabrics and know what we like and why.

In my experience, stretchier hammocks are better for side sleeping. Firmer is better for back sleeping. I find stretchier hammocks are a little better with regards to shoulder comfort, but I rely on my ridgeline length to address that along with any calf ridge.

As a starting point to select something based on your sleeping style and preferences, I believe the objective consensus you'll find is that:

Firm to Stretchy: Hexon 1.6, HyperD 1.6, Robic 1.2, Robic 1.0, Hexon 1.0, HyperD 1.0.
    To be sure; my opinions were exactly that -- just [i]my[i] opinions -- based on a bit of first-hand experience with each of these fabrics over various projects. My $0.02...

I concur with mrcheviot's ranking of firmness vs. stretch; he has an impressive oeuvre of DIY gear, and he knows.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-12-2018 at 19:12.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I agree with mrcheviot's analysis in general. I have made both hexon and hyperD hammocks. I have not made a robic one yet. HyperD is definitely the smoother, and nicer feeling of the two. Given that though, my favorite hammock is my Hexon 1.6 XL. I love the firmness of the Hexon over the hyperD, even though the hyperD feels better against skin. I sleep side and belly at home, and switch between side and back in a hammock.

This is a hard one, because it is so subjective. There is no perfect hammock fabric.

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to give the 1.2 Robic a try. I have an 11' x 5' 1.6oz poly ripstop hammock which doesn't have a lot of stretch. I also have a 9' x 5' 1.0 Hexon hammock that seems to have a good deal of stretch. I don't think I love either one and I think that the 1.2 Robic will be somewhere in the middle while maintaining the light weight. I'm not too concerned about material feel as I am usually in long sleeved clothes and a topquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast