Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

ViDEO: NCT hike with Wander'nFool and TENSA TREKKING TREEZ

It has been 13 years since Wanderin'Fool and I did this section of the North Country Trail in Wisconsin. We got in late and made a camp. Walked a bit the next day and made another camp and I tried my Tensa Trekking Tree to great success. This is a real game changer. Of course I had plenty of trees to hang off on but wanted to try the Tensa Trekking Tree on a real trip. It worked great as a hiking pole. At the end of the video I show weights and a bit more set-up.
    Shug

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 9.03.16 AM copy.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Another fun video! Laurie and I are heading to Elk country (here in PA) next weekend, watching this makes me impatient to get on trail.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    It looks great out there. I'm jealous of all the lush plants and water. The Trekking Treez looks cool. At 30oz, it's about 10oz heavier than my sleeping pad. Not too bad considering the sleeping pad wouldn't be used if nice trees are around.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    Another fun video! Laurie and I are heading to Elk country (here in PA) next weekend, watching this makes me impatient to get on trail.
    It is all about anticipation and getting ready. Have a right goodie~

Quote Originally Posted by rodfather View Post
    It looks great out there. I'm jealous of all the lush plants and water. The Trekking Treez looks cool. At 30oz, it's about 10oz heavier than my sleeping pad. Not too bad considering the sleeping pad wouldn't be used if nice trees are around.
    Love the duel use of it. Worked great. I'm sold! No ground for me!!!

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Trekking Treez can get down to about 24 oz total per side if you go with the lightest Peggy Peg anchors, and leave one or both extension segments at home. In trekking mode each pole is about 12oz without extension segments, fine for people under 6' or so. This is lighter than some well-reviewed trekking poles in aluminum. The real system weight compared to any less comfortable "go to ground" redundancies comes from subtracting the weight of the standard trekking poles you'd otherwise carry, because Trekking Treez are dual function.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    A few thoughts:
    1. **** that SG hammock looks awesome. Yes, I have one, but they still just get me amped.
    2. For the tensa, did it feel weird having it in one hand and a trekking pole in another or relatively indistinguishable?
    3. About a pound of extra pack weight seems like a good tradeoff. How much wind do you think the tarp could take in that setup?

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG Economy
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    Trekking Treez can get down to about 24 oz total per side if you go with the lightest Peggy Peg anchors, and leave one or both extension segments at home. In trekking mode each pole is about 12oz without extension segments, fine for people under 6' or so. This is lighter than some well-reviewed trekking poles in aluminum. The real system weight compared to any less comfortable "go to ground" redundancies comes from subtracting the weight of the standard trekking poles you'd otherwise carry, because Trekking Treez are dual function.
    Right. It'd be basically worn weight. It would definitely be an adjustment since my current trekking poles are 6oz each.

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Old time lumperjack river log crossing......point both feet in the same direction at a 20 to 30 degree angle. This should help to prevent you from straddling the log in case you fall.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    A few thoughts:
    1. **** that SG hammock looks awesome. Yes, I have one, but they still just get me amped.
    2. For the tensa, did it feel weird having it in one hand and a trekking pole in another or relatively indistinguishable?
    3. About a pound of extra pack weight seems like a good tradeoff. How much wind do you think the tarp could take in that setup?
    I thought the mis-matched poles would feel off....but I adapted in about 45 seconds. All good.
    As to the wind, we had a lot and it held just fine. We had gusts to 25-30mph.

Right. It'd be basically worn weight. It would definitely be an adjustment since my current trekking poles are 6oz each.
    For me very worth it to assure I can hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver View Post
    Old time lumperjack river log crossing......point both feet in the same direction at a 20 to 30 degree angle. This should help to prevent you from straddling the log in case you fall.
    What a great tip! I'll pass this on to Wander'nFool.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Great video! The woods looked beautiful, and very healthy. At least in the area you filmed, I didn't see any dead/dying/suspect trees in the area. Nice to see Wanderin' Fool out there.

As a frequent Tensa4 user, the Trekking Treez have been on my radar for a bit now. Thank you very much for showing a real-life setup, and then the detailed setup at home. That's a pretty viable solution for a lot of situations. It's a much less complicated setup than I thought it would be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast