Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    BIAS lists the Hiker Light as being made from a 30D Poly Taffeta fabric. Isn't that 1.1oz, single layer? Perhaps it's more durable than 1.1oz ripstop nylon, but regardless, doesn't that go contrary to your statement of not trusting single layer 1.1oz hammocks (which I completely agree with …)?
    They don't make poly in 1.1 oz., to my knowledge, so I think you're wrong. A Weight Weenie Micro 56 inches wide weighs 6.5 ounces, according to their website. A Hiker Lite 55 inches wide weighs 9 ounces. So for a hammock with essentially the same dimensions as the 1.1 oz WWM, the Hiker Lite weighs 2.5 oz more (28% more).

In past conversations with Shane, I thought he told me the polyester was 1.9 oz, though maybe he said 1.6 oz. Regardless, it's clearly not 1.1 oz. fabric.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    They don't make poly in 1.1 oz., to my knowledge, so I think you're wrong. A Weight Weenie Micro 56 inches wide weighs 6.5 ounces, according to their website. A Hiker Lite 55 inches wide weighs 9 ounces. So for a hammock with essentially the same dimensions as the 1.1 oz WWM, the Hiker Lite weighs 2.5 oz more (28% more).

In past conversations with Shane, I thought he told me the polyester was 1.9 oz, though maybe he said 1.6 oz. Regardless, it's clearly not 1.1 oz. fabric.
    You're correct - though I had to do the math. What is listed on the site makes little sense.

It's listed as a 30D lightweight Poly Taffeta, that has a weight limit of 200lbs. That is the same specs as 1.1oz, 30D nylon ripstop.

However, at 132"x55", and 9.5oz, that works out to 1.69oz per square yard.

So, either their fabric is heavier but fragile, or the secs are somehow suspect.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    You're correct - though I had to do the math. What is listed on the site makes little sense.

It's listed as a 30D lightweight Poly Taffeta, that has a weight limit of 200lbs. That is the same specs as 1.1oz, 30D nylon ripstop.

However, at 132"x55", and 9.5oz, that works out to 1.69oz per square yard.

So, either their fabric is heavier but fragile, or the secs are somehow suspect.
    Website says Hiker Lite weighs 9 oz., so I don't know where I got 9.5 oz. So it sounds like the polyester is around 1.6 oz, which I wouldn't consider fragile by any means.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Website says Hiker Lite weighs 9 oz., so I don't know where I got 9.5 oz. So it sounds like the polyester is around 1.6 oz, which I wouldn't consider fragile by any means.
    As usual, I guess I'll attribute it to what we were talking about the other day, regarding confusing website listings of vendor specs.

It says 9.5oz in the description, but 9 oz. in the 'specs' section. And yes, 1.6oz fabric shouldn't be fragile - though listing it as 30D with a weight limit of only 200lbs would suggest otherwise.

Either way, back to the OP's topic and questions.

Netting - While in theory, a hammock with an integrated bugnet SHOULD weigh less, in practice they never do. I understand why people think they weigh less, because there's less netting. But show me a hammock with integrated bugnet that weighs less than my BIAS Hiker Lite (9.5 oz) and Nano Buginator bugnet (7 oz.), and it will be 1.1 oz single layer fabric (which I'm done with). The zippers alone seem to negate any weight savings.
    I am a noob as a disclaimer.

Edit: I was wrong pulled, it out it weighs like 19 oz.

I am paranoid about mosquitoes. A double layer and an UQ stops them from below so far. (I would venture to say a single layer and an UQ protector would work too.) I am a mosquito magnet so the paranoid person in me sprays with permethrin just in case too. Hiking I use the TL. If I am car camping during bug season I pull out my big wide Blue Sky Hammy with my ENO Guardian. It works well, plus I can just dump stuff into the net below for storage if needed. It is also is more comfy for lounging in like a chair. The Streamliner is not set up for the chair thing with the cat cut. The Guardian & Blue Sky set up weighs in at a little over 2 pounds, and it could go a little lighter with any of the cottage vendor's big nets out there.

I have found that while not insulating, bug nets cut a light breeze and the effect is a mildly warmer temp difference in side vs out. YMMV.
    Last edited by mayhemkb; 09-02-2014 at 11:04. Reason: Wrong weight on my set up.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Here's my two cents. Weight vs Convenience? I say, when it comes to your hammock, go with option 3 - Comfort.

Find the most comfortable one that gives you the best nights sleep & consider it your luxury item.
    Go after weight savings in all your other items - I'm guessing the rest is already pretty light considering your CF tarp.

Pull out that 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades book & start figuring out what trails you can do with your current weight vs. what trails you'll be able to do carrying 1-2 lbs less. Probably pretty close to the same list.

So, my advice - go find a group hang & try some different hammocks, then get the comfortable one.

Quote Originally Posted by theclark5 View Post
    Maybe I should just man up and get a comfortable single layer no frills and spray on bug spray and enclose the tarp tighter
    I have a WBBB, XLC and added a Wilderness Logics Light Owl as my lighter option. It isn't the lightest out there, but I find it comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY Sinister Ariel Black
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Spyder
    TallPaul I think I am heading in your thoughts. I just ordered a SLD Streamliner SL that I will try out for my light weight option. If I find I just have to have that topcover and bugnet then I will go with the WBBB with Bear Burrito Oven. Or maybe get a convertible Thunderbird or Envy or XLC with the topcover to save a few ounces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123