DW Banyan
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle

Question Tarp corner tie out options: Hookworms vs Line Lock Hooks

I like using fast/simple hardware for securing my tarp. I'm curious to know if anyone had an opinion about using Hookworms vs Line Lock Hooks for the corner tie outs of my HG Dyneema DCF tarp with doors. So far I've considered a few things:

1. Both the hookworms and the line lock hooks will hook onto a 3/32" loop of shock cord attached to the corner tie out Beastee D rings. (I'm still not convinced if I need the shock cord loops on the tarp, but there are a lot of opinions in this forum that the shock cord will reduce the chance of tearing the tarp if someone tripped on a guy line. I would love to know if this as ever happened to someone.)
    2. Both the hookworms and the line lock hooks will hold tension on a 1.8 mm Relect-It guy line.
    3. Both are easy for me to use.
    4. Only line lock hooks will hook onto the Beastee D rings of my tarp. The hookworms will not. Hooking onto the D rings seems like an advantage in event that a shock cord loop fails or I don't want to use shock cord on my DCF tarp. I suppose I can make small loops of Zing It.
    5. Hookworks are aluminum, line lock hooks are plastic. Has anyone had a plastic line loc or line loc hook break on a trip? (I'd probably just tie a knot if one failed on a trip.)
    6. I'm not worried about freezing temperatures as I don't camp when it's that cold.

Any opinions on these hardware options?
    Any other things to consider that I missed?
    Last edited by FinneganMcBrisket; 09-04-2020 at 10:58.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use the hook worms on my WB Thunderfly. I have shock cord loops on the corner D rings. The hook worms are on the guy lines, which are tied to my stakes. Pretty simple, but in hindsight not necessary. There are times where I have the tarp rigged, but it's probably not gonna rain overnight so I can unhook and wrap up the tarp in the mesh sleeve. If it starts raining, all I have to do is deploy the tarp and reach down, grab the hook worm and clip it on. That's happened a grand total of 0 times.

After I picked up the the WB Superfly, I just larks headed 8 ft lengths of Zing It to the corner D rings and marlin spike hitch those to the stakes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Tarp corner tie out options: Hookworms vs Line Lock Hooks

After watching this video from Andrew Skurka, I ditched the hardware and learned to tie my guy outs with a bowline knot and trucker’s hitch. It’s super easy to learn, you can cinch your guyline as taut as you want, and you can avoid the extra weight of the hardware. Even if you’re married to the hardware (it’s so hard to give it up when it’s easy and cool to use), it’s good to know how to use this knot system in case your hardware gets lost, which does happen.

https://andrewskurka.com/guyline-ten...arps-hammocks/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson1974 View Post
    After watching this video from Andrew Skurka, I ditched the hardware and learned to tie my guy outs with a bowline knot and trucker’s hitch. It’s super easy to learn, you can cinch your guyline as taut as you want, and you can avoid the extra weight of the hardware. Even if you’re married to the hardware (it’s so hard to give it up when it’s easy and cool to use), it’s good to know how to use this knot system in case your hardware gets lost, which does happen.

https://andrewskurka.com/guyline-ten...arps-hammocks/
    Same here... just got a new DCF tarp & I've eliminated all hardware on the guylines. That's a good video too showing 3 simple but very effective knots.
    Last edited by ObdewlaX; 09-05-2020 at 06:11.

I don’t like the worms; I know it’s simple but that gave me some grief when I first played with them.

I switched to some tarp fleaz; same idea but a different locking mechanism.

I kept the hardware on my hammock and kept the line wrapped around my stakes

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo

Tarp corner tie out options: Hookworms vs Line Lock Hooks

I should have said that he teaches 3 different knots. In addition to the bowline and the trucker’s hitch, he also teaches the McCarthy hitch, which can be used interchangeably with (and is very similar to) the trucker’s hitch. The McCarthy is my preferred method of tying out my guylines.

Images
    I have tautline/midshipmans hitch pre-tied on my guylines. I just slide the knot to where i want and loop it onto the stake. I do zero knot tying in the field with that setup and i dont need any silly metal things.

You can also just tie directly to the stake with a Pile Hitch or Clove Hitch ("old school")

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equipm
    Suspension
    Dutchware SpiderPo
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I have tautline/midshipmans hitch pre-tied on my guylines. I just slide the knot to where i want and loop it onto the stake. I do zero knot tying in the field with that setup and i dont need any silly metal things.

You can also just tie directly to the stake with a Pile Hitch or Clove Hitch ("old school")
    Interesting, leiavoia. Do you have a video link on how that’s done? I usually pre-tie my lines to the loops with the bowline and then use whichever hitch is called for depending on how far out I have to put my stakes. Tying the knots in the field keeps me in practice. Of course, it’s always good to learn new knots.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I started with linelocs. Then I switched to hookworms. And now I've gone back to linelocs.

The linelocs are just so easy. The hookworms are always a little fiddly in comparison.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast