MYOG Gathered End Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling

Top quilts and clothes Question

Being really new to hammocks I thought I'd ask the experts this. How cold might I get down to if I used a 30 degree Top quilt while wearing Cap 2 base, light fleece pullover, Mont Bell UL Down Vest, Mont Bell UL Tec Jacket, Down Booties and a Black Rock Down hat? Oh and I'd be using a 20 deg UQ with a GG 1/4 thinlight pad under me.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If your using a 20 degree UQ,,and a 30 degree TQ and wearing that much clothing,,you can probably get down to 20 degrees just fine. Alot depends on if your cold natured, or hot natured,,if the wind is blowing..is it raining? or damp and dreary,,or cold, snowing, and blowing. It depends on alot,,but the setup you are talking about should get you to 20 or a bit lower I would think,,what kind of tarp you thinking of using?.If its a tarp that you can enclose, and keep the wind off ya,,you can get to the low temps with a good tarp blocking the elements too.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you are a warm sleeper you could might get down into single digits although I would expect 10-15 should otherwise be fine. I would try and test it out at home before trying in the woods.
    "The only rule to survivialin is NEVER GIVE UP"
    Swinginranger

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    I think I run average. It depends on the weather but I'm planning on a Warbonnet Edge Tarp for three season full coverage and adding the door kit for winter and super wet weather. If it would add enough warmth to be worth the weight, I would also consider something like a winter sock to get the whole setup lower. I'm basically just trying to get a general idea of what my clothes will add to a quilt since I only have the money for one quilt right now and I'm wanting to see what temp rating would be the most useful for me since I'm looking to try my hand at some shoulder/winter backpacking here in the SE.

I was for sure planning at least one test before taking it out on a proper trip. Unfortunately where I'm at right now there are no trees in the yard, no fencing and a cranky HOA but there are several local state parks I can practice at with the saftey of a car and hotel nearby if everything really goes fubar.

btw I should mention I am 63" tall so an Edge tarp gives me more coverage than an average height person.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    For an average person I would think 10-15 degrees.

I've tried it and I've had mixed results with extra clothing. I find I'm more comfy when I eat a good meal before bed and sleep in my base layers. This, in my opinion, heats up the bags more efficiently and I find myself venting cause I'm actually over-heating in most cases.

Good to see you over here on HF.

Raul
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I find I'm more comfy when I eat a good meal before bed and sleep in my base layers. This, in my opinion, heats up the bags more efficiently...
    This is the same methodology I use. I do use a winter setup (quilts and appropriate tarp), but see double digit negatives every year out here so far. This also explains why I don't get out of the hammock in the middle of the night to go pee-pee. Base layers and subzero don't go real well together.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole!!
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Sleep Bag
    Suspension
    MYOG Whoopie Sling
    Ok that sounds about what I was hoping for, thanks!

Thanks, it's great to be here Raul!
    Last edited by SunshineHiker; 09-13-2011 at 18:07. Reason: added stuff

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineHiker View Post
    I think I run average. It depends on the weather but I'm planning on a Warbonnet Edge Tarp for three season full coverage and adding the door kit for winter and super wet weather. If it would add enough warmth to be worth the weight, I would also consider something like a winter sock to get the whole setup lower. I'm basically just trying to get a general idea of what my clothes will add to a quilt since I only have the money for one quilt right now and I'm wanting to see what temp rating would be the most useful for me since I'm looking to try my hand at some shoulder/winter backpacking here in the SE.

I was for sure planning at least one test before taking it out on a proper trip. Unfortunately where I'm at right now there are no trees in the yard, no fencing and a cranky HOA but there are several local state parks I can practice at with the saftey of a car and hotel nearby if everything really goes fubar.

btw I should mention I am 63" tall so an Edge tarp gives me more coverage than an average height person.
    Depending on your hammock, I think the door kits on the WB Edge are a must. I wetted out my WB BB footbox under my Edge in VA this past spring during a major thunderstorm (think 3+ inches of rain). If I had packed my OES MacCat with ZQ doors I would have laughed at everything. That was 20oz I wish I had with me that week!

On the base layers, I've regularly gone done in the mid-20's down on Cumberland Island (in January) wearing basically what you describe and using a JRB Nest + a 3S WB Yeti and been comfy. The only thing that ever gets remotely cold is my feet when they slip off of the pad. I am thinking of getting an Incubator just for that reason. I fidget in my sleep, so I find my feet off the pad more than most.

Good luck!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

• + New Posts