SLD - Trail Lair, 90 degree Gamma
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Anything Down
    Suspension
    Good stiff rope
    Images

REI's new gathered end hammock - what do you want to know?

This weekend, I'm going to shoot a review of the REI Flash Air Hammock. It is an interesting hammock and from first glance looks very unique. If you have any specific questions about the hammock, let me know and I'll try my best to answer them in the video. I figure this will be a fun interactive way to do a review.

Evan

REI hammock.jpg

REI top.jpg

REI tarp.jpg
    Check out our Youtube page for some fun hammock videos https://www.youtube.com/c/LloydLiving

Hammock
    ENO Double, Hennessy Expedition
    The shape looks like it’s designed to pretty much force you to lay right down the middle. Can you get diagonal? If not, does this hammock have another way to get flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Length, width, weight, etc. You do a good job on these reviews so I'm sure we'll enjoy it no matter what and it's good to see REI finally getting it's own gathered end hammock. I'm curious why they didn't teem up with one of the cottage vendors and do it right the first time.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    It looks... interesting. Interested in the video review.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Lay - That's my first question, too, but I think its the bar across the face side that's making it look that particular shape. Doesn't help that they have a bag laying straight down the banana line, though.

Would want to know how long it is - noted that this spec was left out, and I have to believe its deliberate given the other details. They've clearly been paying attention to some other ideas we see here. Still have "interior" pockets which was pointed out on the bridge they made that these interior pockets aren't really usable for much when you're laying in the hammock.

Would also want to know the size of the tarp. Seems like its the same tarp as on the bridge. If that's true, then based on pics, this hammock can't be more than 10', maybe less. Also looks like it could be narrow, as if they realized this needed meet a certain weight goal.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    this looks like the idea wilderness logics hybrid idea ( which I'm almost sure was the aborted "owls roost" hammock) here's that hammock:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...custom-LiteOwl

Looking forward to seeing the review, but I'm betting we'll see it on sale or in the garage within the year. It's on the REI website for $199 and it's interesting that they don't list the length, but there's a number of people questioning it with no answer.

https://www.rei.com/product/127400/r...SABEgJhbfD_BwE

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    I had a chance to get into an REI a few months ago for the first time, I was in there for about 20 minutes before I shook my head and walked out. talk about a bunch of overpriced Chinese crap. No offense intended to the O.P. I just don't understand the Allure of REI's.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I too am curious about the lay and whether the bar over the head end really works to keep the netting out of the way. Also interested if it is sized to work with cottage quilts so that users could upgrade or extend beyond the 3-season quilt REI offers.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Length, width, weight, etc. You do a good job on these reviews so I'm sure we'll enjoy it no matter what and it's good to see REI finally getting it's own gathered end hammock. I'm curious why they didn't teem up with one of the cottage vendors and do it right the first time.
    I think this is related to the question below. But it got me thinking - what if REI created some kind of "experts" program. Any value in selling higher-end or custom gear backed by REI's locations, staff, and warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    I had a chance to get into an REI a few months ago for the first time, I was in there for about 20 minutes before I shook my head and walked out. talk about a bunch of overpriced Chinese crap. No offense intended to the O.P. I just don't understand the Allure of REI's.
    The allure is pretty easy to understand really. Outdoor pursuits are a casual endeavor for most people. REI offers a safe place to go for information and to see options for whatever you may want from cycling gear to paddling gear to hiking, backpacking, and climbing. All in one place with stuff at various price points and an unbeatable return policy. Plus as a co-op, frequent shoppers get a 10% return on purchases as a yearly dividend and a chance to participate in how the store runs. Convenience is worth paying for, for many people. I gladly pay a small premium to drive 15 minutes to my local REI to get something today rather than buying it online for 20% less and waiting. Different priorities for people sometimes. And sure, once people transcend the basics of a pursuit and reach a point where custom or cottage gear makes sense, REI loses some of its appeal and you find that you can do more with less money. But when people at work ask me questions like, "Hey, I'm going hiking for the second time and I want my own stove, what should I buy," I'm not suggesting they get some catfood cans and some pliers and some fiberglass wick from Dutch or sending them to Zelph to mailorder a stove, then to the hardware store to try and pick out the right version of denatured alcohol. I'm sending them to REI so they can get it all in one place and have someone show them how to use it.

And I think that answers part of TrailSlug's question: REI's physical presence (they have 154 stores right now) and scale would make this a tough business for a cottage vendor. If each store stocked only 5 hammocks, they'd need 770 hammocks just for initial stocking plus a just-in-time pipeline to restock with more around holidays. I doubt of any of the cottage vendors could take that on without changing their main business models. Certainly not at a price point that would allow REI's store brand to compete with ENO on the shelves and deliver a sufficient retail margin. REI lists the Flash at $199.95. Assuming a 30% retail margin they need to buy these at under $140 delivered to the store. So the manufacturer would have to get material and labor costs down below $110 (assuming some overhead for shipping, inventory mgmt, and other costs of sales), all to make something like $20 a hammock (a 15% margin). That margin would be further eroded because REI like most retailers would requore the manufacturer to bear the costs of returns for warranty etc. Seems like a lot of work for little return. I think you'd pretty much have to make these in China at this scale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'm going to assume you'll cover the basics because I'm interested in the obvious: a) is this really a straight lay, b) length, c) compare to common hammocks.

I picked up the REI bridge just for fun at one of their garage sales just to try it out. It's going in the right direction but it's just not as nice as my RR and less package and heavier. Still, I give REI credit for making the attempt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast