Hammock Gear 11'
    Tarp
    12’ Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG tq & uq
    Suspension
    Woopies

I need help!

I'm hoping someone can help me get a good night's sleep in my hammock. I have a Hammock Gear 11' standard hammock w/ridge line.
    I try to get it as close to 30° as I can without using a protractor. I keep the head end a tad lower. I don't have a problem staying warm. I just can't seem to ever be really comfortable. I'm starting to think that it's just me.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    a photo of the hang would assist in diagnosis. A quick way to "see" 30 degree hang is to make a "gun" with your hand, step back from the hang and eyeball the "Gun" along the lines. What do you experience? Calf pressure? Neck issue? I find the first night or two out hanging, I don't sleep that well either. Combination of not in my usually space/bed/noise, excitement, sounds and such. But after the second night, I stay asleep a lot or just "stir" awake and right back to sleep.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Here's a good video from Dream Hammock on how to get a good hang angle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeKvHNRukg

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Are you getting CRP calf ridge pressure, and or knees hyperextended?

CRP happens!

Shug has an excellent video about calf ridge pressure.
    And for knees getting hyperextended, a small pillow or sweatshirt can be put under your knees.

Try a friend’s hammock for an overnight, to see if you can be comfortable in a different hammock, and your friend’s setting it up rather than you.

No shade on you here, just trying to pinpoint the problem before spending any money.

My hammock is 12x6, very comfortable, but oversize hammocks bring challenges if backpacking. Haha!

Discomfort...sometimes hammock fabric is too stretchy or too firm for you, but ok for others.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Setting the hammock up is one part. And those dimensions/angles don’t have to be exact. They are all “about” and “-ish”. The other part is your lie angle. Looking down from the top, you want to be at some diagonal rather than completely parallel with the hammock. That said, Derek’s smaller book shows several positions that are not diagonal. I think they are more for lounging rather that long term (overnight) sleeping.

Also, how many nights in a row did you try it? Even though I’ve spent many nights in a hammock, if I haven’t for a while, it takes a day or so for my body to learn that it can relax differently that when in a bed. Also, when outdoors, especially on the first night, I am more aware of every little sound - all those critters out there, hungry, surrounding the campsite. So, for me, the first night isn’t always the most restful. But it still beats anything on the ground.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Been hanging for around 15 year. Usually I never get a good night's rest the first night. It takes me 2-3 night's to get immaculate to the hammock. Noisy areas I use ear plugs. I'm not a hiker but a motorcycle traveler. After 4-5 hundreds miles & set up plus supper, occasionally a night cap I do very well. I'll still wake up a few times & reposition but get up very rested.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a tough one. It can take time for some folks.
    I'll add a coule of videos that may give insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Can you define what you mean by "uncomfortable?" Do you feel cramped? Are you normally a back sleeper? Are you sleeping on your back?, sides? in a fetal position?

Don't know what the HG hammock is made from but assume it is more-or-less mid-weight fabric similar to a 1.6 but does it feel too stretchy or stiff?

Hammock
    Hammock Gear 11'
    Tarp
    12’ Silpoly
    Insulation
    HG tq & uq
    Suspension
    Woopies
    It's tough to describe. I usually spend 3-4 nights a trip. And I alternate from back to side to a fetal position. There have been times when I've used a small pillow under my knees. I may just go back to my old Eno dbl. nest. It wasn't perfect, but I seemed to get a marginally better nights sleep.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyE View Post
    It's tough to describe. I usually spend 3-4 nights a trip. And I alternate from back to side to a fetal position. There have been times when I've used a small pillow under my knees. I may just go back to my old Eno dbl. nest. It wasn't perfect, but I seemed to get a marginally better nights sleep.
    Raise the foot end some more and make sure you're using the full width of the hammock on the diagonal.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast