DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images

Differential Loft quilt - does one exist?

Hey Gang,
    I always have cold feet. Always. Im tired of it. Yes, I could get down booties, but thats a crutch more than a cure. I just want my quilt to keep me fully warm. If I bought a full 0* thats far too warm for my upper body. An overstuffed 20* is already plenty warm for my torso.

Basically what I want is a custom quilt with a 20* (2.5" loft) body and a 0* (3.5" loft) footbox (the lower 24" or so of quilt). Does anyone make a quilt like this? Trailheads said he would make this for me, but am just wondering if anyone else has polled the cottage makers to see if they will do this. It seems quilts with 100% horizontal baffles like Trailheadz or Gryffon gear would work with this design, or also Horizontal/Vertical split quilts like HG or UGQ.

Anyone ever try this? Who else should I RFQ? Decent idea?

2nd, How do people like 100% horizontal baffle quilts like Trailheads, Katabatic, or Gryffon gear? I only have experience with HG top quilts that are H/V split. Note I would get extra overstuff in the 30-40% range so down doesnt migrate to the sides.
    Any destinct advantages to vertical baffles like HG, Warb, or EE?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    To your last question...

I prefer 100% horizontal baffles. I've had both, only currently own horizontally baffled.

I don't know for sure that there is a functional difference, but that it's what I prefer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've struggled with cold feet as well. Got a set of booties to try out, but I've also considered looking for/making a sort of "secondary footbox". Imagine a quilt that just covers from the knees down. Maybe some cam snaps that connect to the main quilt to keep it in place.

I know in one of Shug's videos, he shows how to use a down vest in this way, and I've done that with limited success. If I could find a vest where the arm holes and neck zipped shut, that'd be an awesome bit of dual purpose gear.

I guess I think it would be more useful to have some kind of add on piece since I don't know that I'd need it all the time. But, if your feet are consistently cold, a dual temp quilt may be the best solution. Either larger baffles and more down or maybe incorporate some other kind of insulation or reflective material.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Also, you might want to throw a line to the folks at Jack's R Better. Their quilts also use horizontal baffles, so they would be easy to adapt. I don't know how open they are to custom work, though.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    I've struggled with cold feet as well. Got a set of booties to try out, but I've also considered looking for/making a sort of "secondary footbox". Imagine a quilt that just covers from the knees down. Maybe some cam snaps that connect to the main quilt to keep it in place.

I know in one of Shug's videos, he shows how to use a down vest in this way, and I've done that with limited success. If I could find a vest where the arm holes and neck zipped shut, that'd be an awesome bit of dual purpose gear.

I guess I think it would be more useful to have some kind of add on piece since I don't know that I'd need it all the time. But, if your feet are consistently cold, a dual temp quilt may be the best solution. Either larger baffles and more down or maybe incorporate some other kind of insulation or reflective material.

For the last few winters I've used a nice big down parka over the footbox of my TQ. I pull the sleeves inside the jacket and zip up the pockets. Works real good. Feet have been happy to be out in winter.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I will take my down jacket and put it inside my foot box. It fills in all the open space nicely and you have the bonus of a warm jacket in the morning.

Another thing that changed my foot warmth is getting a 44” foot box. It seems to keep my toes from compressing the down and creating a cold spot.

I can confirm that Nunatak will create quilts with different down fills in the foot box as opposed to the torso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I prefer vertical baffles, but that's subjective. Won't know til you try.

For warm feet, I do NOT wear tight socks (can restrict circulation while lying down) - in fact I use LOOSE, thick, soft socks. I have some light fleece and wool options and a super-thick handmade pair from Russia.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    To your last question...

I prefer 100% horizontal baffles. I've had both, only currently own horizontally baffled.

I don't know for sure that there is a functional difference, but that it's what I prefer.
    Same here. Horizontal is "side to side" correct? All my Hammockgear top quilts are like that (they changed them later on). That way I can move some down to the top of my body where I need it. Not much good to have it smashed on my sides where the UQ is working. Or just leave it alone. I like having the option.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Our store is closed right now as we recover and try to get caught up, but our Dragons Breath tq allows you to shift down vertically depending on where you want more warmth.
    https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...egory=43306585

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    Tarpless
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Images
    Hm, Interesting comments on the socks. I carry a sleep-only pair of Darn Tough Mid weight crew length. They are indeed "not loose" on my feet. It sounds like this may be part of my problem.
    One issue with sizing up is I have US size 12 feet, which is already near the upper end of most major brand's wool size large.
    What brand/model of sock are big-footed people using for a loose fitting sleep sock?

I wrapped my puffy around my feet the 2nd night and was finally warm, but dont want to do that day to day (its a 7d puffy that I'd prefer not to add wear to. This might sounds funny but I'm very careful with my UL gear and think items should perform their intended purpose without help). So this does work but isnt the solution I'm looking for.

As for down shifting, I hate down shifting. It shifts alright...away from where I want it! I always add overstuff so that down can only shifting. So little there are never cold spots. Overstuff is the best weight you can carry IMO.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast