Tell me about your custom vent selection!

I'm looking seriously at getting an 11 foot Sparrow so that I can use my Wookis with it. I've pretty much decided on colors, accessories, etc., but I have one decision left to make - vent design. I was out in my 10 foot Sparrow last night trying to imagine what it would be like with the various vent designs. My Sparrow is from 2016, so it has the standard vent on the overcover. I've never had a problem with it - never wished it were larger, or felt closed-in. So I may just stick with the original vent design for the new hammock. However, if anyone has gotten one of the newer styles (e.g. xl vent, the side vent, or the asym vent) and has any feedback about it, I'd love to hear it!

Vent styles can be seen here: https://dreamhammock.info/store.html...tegory=3582775

Also, somewhat off topic, in the two pictures at the end of the slideshow where the guys have their heads near the middle of the hammock, peeking out through the "asym vent" - is that where people are laying in their hammock? Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I lay with my head WAY closer to the "head" end of the hammock. I actually tried recreating that position in the hammock, but had nowhere for my feet to go! What am I doing wrong? (example image from the website below) If you are supposed to lay that close to the middle, that would explain why the zippers are located in the middle rather than closer to the head end - something that has always been a minor inconvenience with my Sparrow because I find the zippers hard to reach.

932932319.jpg

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    I'm looking seriously at getting an 11 foot Sparrow so that I can use my Wookis with it. I've pretty much decided on colors, accessories, etc., but I have one decision left to make - vent design. I was out in my 10 foot Sparrow last night trying to imagine what it would be like with the various vent designs. My Sparrow is from 2016, so it has the standard vent on the overcover. I've never had a problem with it - never wished it were larger, or felt closed-in. So I may just stick with the original vent design for the new hammock. However, if anyone has gotten one of the newer styles (e.g. xl vent, the side vent, or the asym vent) and has any feedback about it, I'd love to hear it!

Vent styles can be seen here: https://dreamhammock.info/store.html...tegory=3582775

Also, somewhat off topic, in the two pictures at the end of the slideshow where the guys have their heads near the middle of the hammock, peeking out through the "asym vent" - is that where people are laying in their hammock? Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I lay with my head WAY closer to the "head" end of the hammock. I actually tried recreating that position in the hammock, but had nowhere for my feet to go! What am I doing wrong? (example image from the website below) If you are supposed to lay that close to the middle, that would explain why the zippers are located in the middle rather than closer to the head end - something that has always been a minor inconvenience with my Sparrow because I find the zippers hard to reach.

932932319.jpg
    I have 3 DH Dariens but none of them have the solid covers.

However, I have a Dutch Chameleon that has a cover like this one, except without the open end at the foot. Works great for me.

As for the DH hammock with the vent right at the extreme edge, I'd speculate that it is designed for one the the long, superwide hammocks where the occupant lies almost perpendicular to the hammock SRL.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Take a peek at this video for a pretty good laying position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjEIZtmqZZI

Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 3.26.36 PM.png
    Try putting your shoulder right near the tie-out hook location and make sure you have the foot end of the hammock 6 or so inches higher than the head. See if this improves the comfort of your hammock.

Just for reference this hammock is 11ft x 58" and the user is approx 5'8".

Also you are right, laying in this position places the zipper sliders in a very easy to reach location.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I have 3 DH Dariens but none of them have the solid covers.

However, I have a Dutch Chameleon that has a cover like this one, except without the open end at the foot. Works great for me.
    Thanks for your input! I'm thinking about this option.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Take a peek at this video for a pretty good laying position. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjEIZtmqZZI

Try putting your shoulder right near the tie-out hook location and make sure you have the foot end of the hammock 6 or so inches higher than the head. See if this improves the comfort of your hammock.

Just for reference this hammock is 11ft x 58" and the user is approx 5'8".

Also you are right, laying in this position places the zipper sliders in a very easy to reach location.
    Thanks, Papa Smurf! I will definitely try this.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Hi
    I got my 11' double-layer Sparrow a couple of months ago, with the overcover.
    I had a feeling when planning it, that the little peak vents wouldn't be enough to eliminate condensation on the interior in winter. Maybe I'm wrong. But it prompted me to order the side vent near my head and I'm really glad I did.
    First, it allows me to see out really well.
    Second, it's a significant vent size and being right near my head, there's plenty of area for breath to exit without causing condensation.
    You can see it on the right side of the hammock.

I'd like to point out one more thing that as a designer/architect was really important to me.
    The double-layer approach gives you the option for having a color you really like on the interior and also have a muted color that blends in on the exterior.
    I like lime green and the color inside is really nice to me.
    Also, you can get a really rugged fabric on the outside (HEX 70 2.2) and something that feels nice on the inside (Airwave 1.8)
    The Airwave has a nice soft texture that's a bit "grippy". I like it because I don't slide around .

Obviously the double-layer design also allows for an insulated pad. I think it's a good thing.
    I wondered a lot about this prior to ordering.
    Since I am primarily canoe/kayak camping, the weight was not a primary factor for me, so I opted for it.
    Slipping the pad inside gives me extra comfort on the cold nights.
    Plus, I always have it if I need to go to ground at some future campsite.

One last comment. The color of the over-cover is pretty important to me. It will obviously "color" the light you get on the interior. So maybe don't opt for something dark or dreary. Some people have said they like dark because they can sleep in daylight. Personally I have never been camping or backpacking when any one of us were sleeping in daylight intentionally. And if someone was, they were definitely told to get their a$$ up! I like the robin's egg blue. I have a tent with this color fly and the light is really nice inside. Like the sky.

OK...THIS is the last comment...I promise.
    A set of those little fairy lights with the battery pack is super-nice inside. Very cheery but low light level.
    Would be super-good for kids that might feel a little anxious in the woods in the dark.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    And thanks to Randy for all the good advice along the process.
    Unusually good customer service.

• + New Posts