Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    I would love to have it done to my HH, yet the shipping to USA and back would be around 60 USD! So I was wondering if I could get some info about sewing it myself. Is it hard to sew? Do I have to buy anything else other than the zipper and the two zipper pulls?

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Zippers, zipper pulls, zipper stops, ribbon ties if you want them, lots of pins, and a good sewing machine. That's the extent of the materials, the rest is the mechanics of performing the mod and only ZQ knows that.
    2Q

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    ....and ZQ does and outstanding job with the HH Bugnet Zipper Mod!!!

Thanks 2Q and ZQ for making my Hennessy Hammock the Best it can be! LOL!

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    Will you do Mod 3 on both sides of the hammock? I've got a buddy who is looking at getting it done and doesn't have a forum account yet. Also how much?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Biomed View Post
    I would love to have it done to my HH, yet the shipping to USA and back would be around 60 USD! So I was wondering if I could get some info about sewing it myself. Is it hard to sew? Do I have to buy anything else other than the zipper and the two zipper pulls?
    Chris,

The easiest way to do the mod (and to make sure everything fits properly when you are finished) is to install the zipper BEFORE you cut anything. I wish that I would have saved the pics but I converted mine four or maybe five years ago and caught so much flak from a particular HH groupie that I gave up on sharing.
    First of all, take a deep breath. You can do this. It is very simple and you are not altering anything that affects the suspension or the shape of the hammock. The HH seems designed for this mod in that you can pull the opening over the sewing arm of the machine and sew away. Just decide how you want the netting to unzip. If it unzips all the way on both sides you can tie it up with some cord or grosgrain that you have tied to the ridgeline. This can be accomplished with a long zipper on each side or two shorter zippers that meet in the middle on both sides. Figure out the way you want it and, if it makes it easier for you to work, pin it in place.(one side to the hammock body and one side to the netting) I never used them but that's just me. Start sewing and don't forget to re-enforce the ends of the zippers. If they are too long, cut and singe them about a half inch longer than needed near the suspension lines and fold it under and sew over it. If you don't have access to a machine it is entirely possible to do this by hand if you have the time. All that's left is to unzip the zippers and SLOWLY, CAREFULLY cut the netting close to the hammock body. If you want you can fold the netting you just cut upward and sew it again to the upper part of the zipper to give you an extra layer to sew through. If not just trim it to the point that it will not interfere with the zipper sliding. I've tried it both ways and haven't noticed any difference in durability. Thats it, You've just finished your hybrid top/bottom loader hammock. Oh yea, make your zipper pulls long enough that they can be operated with both cold hands and toes.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks T-Back! Very helpful. I still need to make that mod to mine and your post helps a bunch.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Will you do Mod 3 on both sides of the hammock? I've got a buddy who is looking at getting it done and doesn't have a forum account yet. Also how much?
    Are you aware that Mod 3 is secured at the head end and the foot end and the netting does not disconnect from the body of the hammock as it does with Mod 2?

Stay tuned....ZQ will have to determine if she can do what yoiu ask. She's crafty but also very busy most of the time. She'd have to spend a lot of time engineering...not really something she likes to do.

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Tarp
    Clark XL
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Chris,

The easiest way to do the mod (and to make sure everything fits properly when you are finished) is to install the zipper BEFORE you cut anything. I wish that I would have saved the pics but I converted mine four or maybe five years ago and caught so much flak from a particular HH groupie that I gave up on sharing.
    First of all, take a deep breath. You can do this. It is very simple and you are not altering anything that affects the suspension or the shape of the hammock. The HH seems designed for this mod in that you can pull the opening over the sewing arm of the machine and sew away. Just decide how you want the netting to unzip. If it unzips all the way on both sides you can tie it up with some cord or grosgrain that you have tied to the ridgeline. This can be accomplished with a long zipper on each side or two shorter zippers that meet in the middle on both sides. Figure out the way you want it and, if it makes it easier for you to work, pin it in place.(one side to the hammock body and one side to the netting) I never used them but that's just me. Start sewing and don't forget to re-enforce the ends of the zippers. If they are too long, cut and singe them about a half inch longer than needed near the suspension lines and fold it under and sew over it. If you don't have access to a machine it is entirely possible to do this by hand if you have the time. All that's left is to unzip the zippers and SLOWLY, CAREFULLY cut the netting close to the hammock body. If you want you can fold the netting you just cut upward and sew it again to the upper part of the zipper to give you an extra layer to sew through. If not just trim it to the point that it will not interfere with the zipper sliding. I've tried it both ways and haven't noticed any difference in durability. Thats it, You've just finished your hybrid top/bottom loader hammock. Oh yea, make your zipper pulls long enough that they can be operated with both cold hands and toes.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Now all that matters is to order all the stuff I need and pray that it will all work out. Lucky for me I have my girl friends sewing wisdom at hand, she's already giving me tips so it just have to work!

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Chris,

Hi
    Thanks for that info, I may have to give it a go.
    Does the netting Fray or unravel once you cut it?
    Thanks
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunn parker View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for that info, I may have to give it a go.
    Does the netting Fray or unravel once you cut it?
    Thanks
    I never had any problems but I'm not sure if the same netting is being used. Once you trim the netting away from the hammock body, it can be rolled into a small hem and stitched over again if it looks questionable.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast